2019 Silverado trailboss 5.3l engine oil cooler line failure

Jesus Christ man. What is going on with Chevy? Failing oil lines, water leaks, software issues? You'd think they were BMW, and not good old reliable Chevy.

I'm a BMW tech btw, and our quality has gone to shit over the last 10-15 years. So much so, that there's a class action law suit over the N63 engine that's in all the 550, 650, 750, etc from about 2009-2013

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Steve841: I asked the  man at our dealership the same question. Rather like " um. how the heck do you keep that from happening...". His answer was that per GMC it hadn't happened before and that they would send the hoses and crimps in so that GMC could investigate. I'm not buying that exactly - too many people are reporting it has happened and so it would appear that GMC know about it and who knows if they have addressed it or not. I wonder if the crimps should be recalled ... who knows. How do you address it proactively? Put a second crimp on? unlikely as you only have so much area for purchase... I would think.... 

11 hours ago, white94rx said:

Jesus Christ man. What is going on with Chevy? Failing oil lines, water leaks, software issues? You'd think they were BMW, and not good old reliable Chevy.

I agree. I can completely forgive the SW bugs, but rear windows and oil coolers are NOT new a technology. These types of major problems are inexcusable in my book. Ultimately both may be linked to issues with the vendors of these components, but it’s still up to GM to maintain some kind of standards. I hope going for the lowest bidder (on price AND quality) on these critical parts really bites them in the pocketbook and teaches them a lesson...but it probably won’t.

On 4/7/2019 at 9:25 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

That’s a shame, especially on a brand new truck. So GM still can’t build a cooler line worth a damn.  The more things change, the more they stay the same. :shakehead:

Neither can Toyota. And supposedly they're the best engineered vehicle out there. Or so I'm told.

https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

Steve841: I asked the  man at our dealership the same question. Rather like " um. how the heck do you keep that from happening...". His answer was that per GMC it hadn't happened before and that they would send the hoses and crimps in so that GMC could investigate. I'm not buying that exactly - too many people are reporting it has happened and so it would appear that GMC know about it and who knows if they have addressed it or not. I wonder if the crimps should be recalled ... who knows. How do you address it proactively? Put a second crimp on? unlikely as you only have so much area for purchase... I would think.... 

Recalls are only for safety related items

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Confused 1

Saw this after starting a new thread... My bad (apologies mods!!). 

I am guessing tomorrow I will be told this is what happened to my truck. Unbelievable. I'm seriously worried about engine damage. 

EDIT: Yup, it's the oil cooler line. 

Edited by Shawn O'Leary
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 9:38 PM, jasnak said:

Well today got an oil pressure low warning coming on the dash doing highway speed. Stopped and pulled engine dipstick and no oil was left in engine. All over the ground and side of the truck. Looks like the oil cooler line crip wasn’t done proper and came loose and fell off. I have heard that this isn’t a new thing with the 19’s and 2 have had engine knocking after hose fails. Maybe head up to the rest of ya 

2482713E-70EF-40C0-8A3E-6EB649AC1183.jpeg

On 4/17/2019 at 12:44 PM, sicilit said:

This Just Happened to me on the way home from work on Monday.  2019 LT TrailBoss, 7552miles.  They are replacing the hoses currently. Waiting on the part to be delivered today. what a mess on the road and the whole underneath of the truck! They dont seem to be worried about the engine running without oil, although I am. Thankfully I had it off the road and turned off within 30seconds. I did not hear any funny noises. I will be pushing for oil analysis, oil usage tracking and i will want some  sort of good faith for engine longevity.

• Like 1

Hi jasnak; How are things going with your truck? We got our truck back yesterday. I contacted GMC Member Services and opened a case about the cooling line failure and to speak with someone about continued coverage for this motor. I'm bothered that GMC is telling everyone that this hasn't happened before when clearly it's happening plenty. Our service 'guy' said that they would analyze the oil and when pressed he said it was a sight check... looking for shavings . Before they worked on the truck I asked about how much oil was left but the hemming and hawing was embarrassing and later, when pressed, he apologized for that. When we picked up the truck and I asked him again he said it was roughly 1.5 - 2 quarts left in the pan- I am not confident that he even asked or discussed this with the tech. Odd because he knew it was important to me but he never bothered to email me or elucidate when we went to pick up the truck. When leaving I turned around and asked - I think he pulled the number out of a hat. I bring this up because what seems like a potentially devastating engine problem was treated with such a cavalier attitude and it hardly inspires confidence in GMC or in our local shop. 

On 4/22/2019 at 3:19 PM, Shawn O'Leary said:

The engine seized in the shop. Looking like a full engine replacement. I can't believe it... 

Holy moly. No freakin way. What was different for you- did you not pull over immediately? I ask because I did pull  over and the fix it was "replace  the lines and the crimp, fill with oil, listen for noise, have customer pick up" . We have been treated like - no muss and please don't fuss. Well; darn I am feeling fussy- brand new truck ... what the heck! (PS: I posted last week on 4/17/2019)

On 4/7/2019 at 10:25 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

That’s a shame, especially on a brand new truck. So GM still can’t build a cooler line worth a damn.  The more things change, the more they stay the same. :shakehead:

Heck they at least held together before and only leaked, seem they made them worse and now they blow apart letting the oil run out probably in a matter of seconds. My next question would be are they more than likely just replacing these lines with the same part that will just blow apart again?

Also the fact that these lines are difficult for the dealers to get right now tells you they are lying and this is well known by gm at this time. Maybe not the dealers but gm itself im sure is well aware of this dilemma.

Edited by BIGDOGx

6 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Only a 5.3 issue?

Ryan B.

I wish. My truck is a 6.2l. Been hearing it's an issue on the 3.6l V6s too (used in the Collies/Canyons and some crossovers). 

Edited by Shawn O'Leary