2019 Silverado trailboss 5.3l engine oil cooler line failure

19 minutes ago, 1997SierraSLT said:

sounds like the best thing to do is run it until the engine seizes up.  

Be careful about that. There is a passage in the manual about driving the truck after a low pressure warning can result in damage not covered by the warranty. I was questioned hard about why it took me 30 seconds to stop. I had to explain I was on a busy highway with no shoulder and had to pull off on an access road for safety.

9 hours ago, Karen C said:

Hi jasnak; How are things going with your truck? We got our truck back yesterday. I contacted GMC Member Services and opened a case about the cooling line failure and to speak with someone about continued coverage for this motor. I'm bothered that GMC is telling everyone that this hasn't happened before when clearly it's happening plenty. Our service 'guy' said that they would analyze the oil and when pressed he said it was a sight check... looking for shavings . Before they worked on the truck I asked about how much oil was left but the hemming and hawing was embarrassing and later, when pressed, he apologized for that. When we picked up the truck and I asked him again he said it was roughly 1.5 - 2 quarts left in the pan- I am not confident that he even asked or discussed this with the tech. Odd because he knew it was important to me but he never bothered to email me or elucidate when we went to pick up the truck. When leaving I turned around and asked - I think he pulled the number out of a hat. I bring this up because what seems like a potentially devastating engine problem was treated with such a cavalier attitude and it hardly inspires confidence in GMC or in our local shop. 

Hi, truck is running fine. Had a different engine noise on a cold start one morning when it was below zero other then that it’s been doing fine. Still going to do an oil analysis. Going to drop some oil out personally and then take it to dealer to see what they say when they do there on the next oil change. I don’t trust them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jasnak said:

Hi, truck is running fine. Had a different engine noise on a cold start one morning when it was below zero other then that it’s been doing fine. Still going to do an oil analysis. Going to drop some oil out personally and then take it to dealer to see what they say when they do there on the next oil change. I don’t trust them. 

I’d like to note I have put on 4500kms since the hose failure as well. 

3 minutes ago, jasnak said:

No recall that I’m aware of. Pretty sure they will when gm see’s all the engines loosing oil and people having to stop abruptly on roads 

I wouldn't count on that, i could easily see them fixing only yet to be assembled trucks and hoping most make it passed their original warranty before it has a problem.

I was thinking this was going to be the weekend I go and trade up for a 2019, but now I'm not so sure. Is this all trucks, or is it just certain build dates like the window leak? I'm really not interested in buying a new vehicle and having to worry if it's going to lose all of its oil all over the highway. :uhoh:

• Like 1

Glad someone forwarded me over to this thread.  2 weeks ago now I blew the oil cooler line on my 2019 trail boss.  Dealer decided it was a good idea to start and move the truck without adding oil and the engine's blown now.  I've been vying hard for a new truck.  Had another service manager tell me he would give me a new truck if it was his dealership.  Currently working with management to decide on the fix once the engine is apart.  Not sure how I even feel about a new truck now.  

On 4/20/2019 at 5:05 PM, RyanbabZ71 said:

Recalls are only for safety related items

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well I'll have you know that it was a safety issue for me: Top of hill, tight curve, stuck on road with no place to go. No way to alert people coming one way - whilst I stood out in the cold rain alone trying to alert drivers coming the other way . For an  hour . Waiting for the flat bed. Hahahah; I know that GMC could care less about this kind of safety but not me! Ha; joking but not really!

4 hours ago, Karen C said:

Well I'll have you know that it was a safety issue for me: Top of hill, tight curve, stuck on road with no place to go. No way to alert people coming one way - whilst I stood out in the cold rain alone trying to alert drivers coming the other way . For an  hour . Waiting for the flat bed. Hahahah; I know that GMC could care less about this kind of safety but not me! Ha; joking but not really!

submit your case here then

https://www.nhtsa.gov/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Karen C said:

I agree this is a safety issue 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShamrockShooter said:

What is the build date and assembly plant for all these trucks with blown oil lines? Is there a pattern or is this totally random so far?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Would like to know this too.  

2 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

What is the build date and assembly plant for all these trucks with blown oil lines? Is there a pattern or is this totally random so far?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

How can I find this out about my truck?