2019 Silverado trailboss 5.3l engine oil cooler line failure

There is a bulletin #18-na-254 info on oil residue found on oil cooler lines during PDI but not sure if it's related. I looked at www.repairprocedures.com but don't see any other bulletins about oil cooler lines.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, ShamrockShooter said:

One of the stickers on the driver door jam has a date on it. Also your Vin starts with 1 it's a US truck 3 Hecho en Mexico

Mine is a US truck then.  Not sure on production date since it'll be in the shop for the next few weeks but it was on the lot in Western NY in December.  

Mine is a US truck then.  Not sure on production date since it'll be in the shop for the next few weeks but it was on the lot in Western NY in December.  
Well you can also get a sense by the VIN number. The last six digits is a sequential build number. Mine is 107xxx so it was the 7,xxx truck built on 8/18. If you look at your Chevy app on your phone what is the first 3 of the last 6 digits? I'm also a western NY truck.

5 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Well you can also get a sense by the VIN number. The last six digits is a sequential build number. Mine is 107xxx so it was the 7,xxx truck built on 8/18. If you look at your Chevy app on your phone what is the first 3 of the last 6 digits? I'm also a western NY truck.

143XXX

Driver side open up door look on the inside of drivers door mine has a yellow sticker FT Wayne then look where the door meets the body lower half the built date mine is Dec12th Purchased in South Jersey.I have not had this problem or any ,hope it stays that way on my CTB .I do only have 2100 miles on it

Keith

Edited by K455

1 minute ago, K455 said:

Driver side open up door look on the inside of drivers door mine has a sticker FT Wayne then look where the door meets the body lower half the built date mine is Dec12th .I have not had this problem or any ,hope it stays that way on my CTB .I do only have 2100 miles on it

Keith

If it was me I'd seriously consider having it looked at.  Mine had 4,600 on when it went.  Literally drove 200ft. with the leak and lost a lot of oil, still waiting to hear from dealer on engine damage.  Would blow an engine quick on a highway I'd guess.  

1 minute ago, Zbass_10 said:

If it was me I'd seriously consider having it looked at.  Mine had 4,600 on when it went.  Literally drove 200ft. with the leak and lost a lot of oil, still waiting to hear from dealer on engine damage.  Would blow an engine quick on a highway I'd guess.  

A bad crimp can be caught at the dealer,without a bulletin ?

They replaced the oil cooler lines, refilled oil, changed filter on mine. I had expressed my concern over a possible fatal issue. I allowed the Service Manager to take my truck home overnight to put some miles on it (~90miles). There was no unusual sounds after so I took it home. I have put another 500 miles on it without any issue. They said about 2 quarts of oil was left and they allowed me to keep the oil filter, which I will cut open (reality is that probably didn't collect any oil anyway as it all went on the ground and didn't recirculate). I pulled a small sample (4 ounces)of oil out when I got home and I do not see any flakes, particles, or shiny stuff. Pretty crazy that I had  almost 8,000miles on it when it went. I figured something like this would happen early on, or during the winter at a -10degree start.

i will probably take another oil sample this weekend and maybe switch out the oil filter again to check that one. I had my truck shut off pretty quick, so that may be why I escaped major damage. With another 50k miles to go on the powertrain warranty I think any issue will show up before then..

My Truck was built in Ft. Wayne 140xxx serial number. I picked it up just after Thanksgiving 2018.

Edited by sicilit

Geez.... I'm both glad I read this Thread and I wish I didn't.  I'm gonna worry about this every time I take a trip (going to Pahrump early next week) and especially off road.  Especially off road.

Any way, thanks for this Thread :thumbs:.  I think :sigh:.

I'm going to check my lines for any sign of defect/oil seepage. And keep checking them, although it may just go without any other sign.

I think if mine does go I would rather just let it runs till engine seizes. Start it once more just to be sure, then call OnStar. Think I would rather have a new motor than worry about damage from running on no oil.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I'm going to check my lines for any sign of defect/oil seepage. And keep checking them, although it may just go without any other sign.

I think if mine does go I would rather just let it runs till engine seizes. Start it once more just to be sure, then call OnStar. Think I would rather have a new motor than worry about damage from running on no oil.

On star would record that you did that, probably not a great idea. 

11 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

On star would record that you did that, probably not a great idea. 

Yeah, you can't get away with stuff like that these days.. Unless it blows while it's sitting in your driveway idling while you're inside getting ready to leave...