Which Trucks Do Owners Most Often Sell Within One Year?

Gorehamj

20 hours ago, 2018GMC said:

Ive read you should trade in within the first 3 years after buying new or plan on keeping it since value really drops off at the 4 year mark and beyond. 

I bought my 2007 LT Crew used with 18K miles on it in 2009 for $20K. Just traded it with 120K for $9600 to get a new T1. I think that's the last truck I will drive that long, as there's no way that I could keep my current T1 for 10 years and still get nearly 50% of what I paid for it. 

Modern trucks are way too technologically advanced now to keep them for a later trade, IMO. As you said, 2018GMC, I think the best strategy is to drive them 2-3 years, then trade them in. With technology finally slowing down some, the leaps from model to model are getting a bit smaller... but they are also more costly (as we're seeing in recent years). Unless there's a major recession or gas jumps up again, I think I'll trade mine in a few years for a 2021, or 2022... depending on when GM rolls out a heavy refresh. 

3 hours ago, econometrics said:

I bought my 2007 LT Crew used with 18K miles on it in 2009 for $20K. Just traded it with 120K for $9600 to get a new T1. I think that's the last truck I will drive that long, as there's no way that I could keep my current T1 for 10 years and still get nearly 50% of what I paid for it. 

Modern trucks are way too technologically advanced now to keep them for a later trade, IMO. As you said, 2018GMC, I think the best strategy is to drive them 2-3 years, then trade them in. With technology finally slowing down some, the leaps from model to model are getting a bit smaller... but they are also more costly (as we're seeing in recent years). Unless there's a major recession or gas jumps up again, I think I'll trade mine in a few years for a 2021, or 2022... depending on when GM rolls out a heavy refresh. 

I remember when parents bought 1997 silverado brand new in 1997 for $36k ($57k in 2019). It was technology advanced for its time with computer controlled engine, ABS, Speed sensitive power steering, etc.

I now have the 1997 and it still runs great for a 20+ year old truck with 210K on the clock. Only issues it has had besides regular wear items was intake manifold gasket, steering box, u-joints, radiator. BTW the speed sensitive power steering turned out to be a FAIL and would all of the sudden over boost during 30 - 40 mph long curves. Unplugging the sensor in the pump or having a tune set a constant pressure fixed that.

Comparing that truck to my 2018, it sure is dated but has been extremely reliable. Still has original engine, trans, ball joints, tie rod ends, differential (14 bolt semi float) at 210k.

I would hope my 2018 is as reliable but if its still worth a decent amount during mid cycle refresh and I want another payment, I may have to trade.

Of course if it has a major problem, then bye bye.

Edited by 2018GMC

On 4/18/2019 at 2:03 PM, redwngr said:

Some trade because they can, and they have a 'keep it fresh' attitude.

Some trade because of financial issues and want to get the money out of vehicle or reduce payments if financed or leased.

Some trade because they've discovered the vehicle won't do they job they thought it would do. 

I know one person that is never happy with any vehicle and keeps trading and changing brands.  Always seems to have issues that nobody else with the same vehicle seems to be having.

I suspect the local dealers get together and decide who gets stuck with him 'this time'. 

Sort of amusing to watch.

I have to call you out. If you have read this board for more than a month - you know at least a dozen of those types hanging out here. :):) 

1 hour ago, RMR said:

I have to call you out. If you have read this board for more than a month - you know at least a dozen of those types hanging out here. :):) 

Good point, although I was thinking about IRL types, rather than keyboarders....