Trans temps

1 hour ago, ksiesel said:

I see a lot you guys quoting acutal trans temp numbers.  I have a Denali and from what I can find, the only way to see trans temp is in Tow/Haul mode and even then it’s just an analog gauge, not a digital readout.

Am I missing something, or is there a way to get a more precise trans temp number out of the Denali gauge cluster?

My LT Silverado has it right in the options for the DIC display. Works all the time including tow mode can toggle to it when ever I want. This is one of the two reasons I have found not to do the Denali cluster upgrade other is you lose you current engine hours starts over at 0 upon swapping.

GM must have decided for some reason that D drivers only need to worry about trans temps when loaded? Probably didn’t have room for it unloaded with all the other extra stuff on the D cluster...

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

That's funny. Odd point of view but funny. Dad use to say,  "Motor don't know what name is on the valve cover the oil is going into and neither does the oil".  Wendy's commercial use to say about chicken strips, "Parts is parts" 

Its not an odd point of view.  Every post you make is either talking down to someone or talking to them like they're stupid.  You stick with you and your dads 1960's logic and let us other guys rely on science and technological advances and live in the now.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

But the chart isn't talking about transmission life. It's taking about transmission FLUID LIFE

As the fluid goes....so does the transmission. 

That's about as contradictory as it gets right there.  That's what happens when you try to be a know it all.  You end up tripping over your own words :nono:

I had my truck tuned at GM by an "in-house" performance division called GPI, they do full AFM delete kits etc. on the vette's and so forth, as well as tunes. I have used them on 4 previous vehicles. They use an HP Tuners product.

I called my guy over there and asked him about the thermostat delete, he mentioned not to mess with it, and that there are tuning tables in the TCM that are set at different performance levels for different temperatures. I know nothing about what tables could be in the TCM, or if the HP Tuner software has the ability to adjust for each table at each temperature, but if true, and you have a tune, then reducing the max temp of the tranny might not let the tranny get to the next heat/table....

thoughts?

Edited by M-Wheeler

2 hours ago, M-Wheeler said:

I had my truck tuned at GM by an "in-house" performance division called GPI, they do full AFM delete kits etc. on the vette's and so forth, as well as tunes. I have used them on 4 previous vehicles. They use an HP Tuners product.

I called my guy over there and asked him about the thermostat delete, he mentioned not to mess with it, and that there are tuning tables in the TCM that are set at different performance levels for different temperatures. I know nothing about what tables could be in the TCM, or if the HP Tuner software has the ability to adjust for each table at each temperature, but if true, and you have a tune, then reducing the max temp of the tranny might not let the tranny get to the next heat/table....

thoughts?

Observation only. Not even an opinion. In cold weather the transmission in Pepper with the factory thermostat would take over 100 miles to reach the thermostat set point. On rural Illinois roads that can mean over two hours of highway operation. Can take near an hour to reach 100 F which is the only TCM set point I'm aware of but ask anyone, I'm not aware of much. So...that said....question is does it matter? The average operator isn't likely to drive anywhere near that number of miles nor that many hours so....it's never really up to temp IF we want to call 190 F+ the floor. Most guys don't drive more than what 25 miles one way to work? To the store? GM knows this too. Think they mapped it to self destruct due to inadequate warm up? Just a thought. At least with my delete she's up past 100 F in 15 miles no matter what the temperature. My temp table is recently published in my build thread if you want a look. 

• Like 2

7000 miles and I've never seen my '18 6.2 Max Tow trans go over 150F. I tow diddly squat. Ambient temps have been low but I can't imagine it'll go over 170 without towing something up a hill. My '14 6 speed was always at 190+F. The '18 warms up way quicker too. Bought it as a Demo so he might have modified it or GM changed the design. 

If there's a way to run the trans cooler and warm up quicker it's worth every penny. Your transmission and wallet will thank you later. 

Edited by 6_2LTZ

9 hours ago, Jacoby said:

Its not an odd point of view.  Every post you make is either talking down to someone or talking to them like they're stupid.  You stick with you and your dads 1960's logic and let us other guys rely on science and technological advances and live in the now.

That's about as contradictory as it gets right there.  That's what happens when you try to be a know it all.  You end up tripping over your own words :nono:

Really? So, you fancy yourself a REAL science guy and yet you can't make the connection between lubricant life and component life.

I see. Well, by YOUR logic one should die at the end of meal of starvation. Sound stupid enough? It is the exact argument your making. A very stupid argument. How would you like me to respond to that? 

Should I give you a participation trophy? Would that be more PC? :rolleyes: 

Wait, are you talking down to me, insulting my father and talking to me like I'm stupid? Being a real know it all? Yea...pretty much...

1 hour ago, 6_2LTZ said:

7000 miles and I've never seen my '18 6.2 Max Tow trans go over 150F. I tow diddly squat. Ambient temps have been low but I can't imagine it'll go over 170 without towing something up a hill. My '14 6 speed was always at 190+F. The '18 warms up way quicker too. Bought it as a Demo so he might have modified it or GM changed the design. 

If there's a way to run the trans cooler and warm up quicker it's worth every penny. Your transmission and wallet will thank you later. 

Well there ya go. Point, set and match. Thank you.