Front Suspension Clunking...help!

• 2 years later...

Whatever became of this?  Did you ever solve the problem?  I have the same noise on the passenger side.  It started shortly after an alignment which was at 40K, I put new tires on then.  My whole front end seems to be tight.  Another shop check the front end and couldn't find anything wrong.  The noise seems to be more noticeable when it's wet outside.  I hear the clunk under 20 mph when hitting small holes in the road and bumps in the road.  I also hear it every time I pull into my driveway which has a small bump.   I replaced the sway bar bushings, the end links and installed new struts with shocks.

• 11 months later...

Had clunk start after I changed struts on a 2015 gmc 1500.  I noticed that there was a little wear due to movement on the top of the strut mount where the 3 studs go through.  I tightened the 3 nuts quite a bit more this time than the 37ftlbs.  Unfortunately it was still clunking.  I have the strut removed and there is some fresh metal filings present which confirms that the strut was shifting.  Not sure why the strut is shifting.