Tonneau covers the good, the bad, the ugly

I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 4x4 double cab with the standard bed. 

I am in the market for a tonneau cover. I've actually never had one before so not sure what route to go. I dont want a snap one I know that for sure. I wouldnt mind doing a velcro one.  My buddy had one of the hard tri fold ones on his yota. It wasnt too bad. My stepdad has the tri fold hard one on his f250. 

I'm not sure what route to go. I dont wany to spend $$$ that's for sure. The cheaper the better. 

My basic use of it is to cover the bed to transport stuff. That's pretty much it. Doesnt need to be fancy. Just needs to work. 

What do you guys have? Has anyone ever bought one of the Ebay ones?

2 minutes ago, paracutin said:

Good find. That is super inexpensive and looks solid. I dont have any preference hard or soft. I feel like soft is nice for the factor of rolling it completely up and not losing 1/3 of my bed 

There’s a 143 page thread on this already so I’d start by reading though some of it and deciding which will work best for your needs hard or soft.

I’m a soft guy (well cover anyway people who know me say I have no soft side...) I only go with TruXedos because they last one on my 3/4 ton I bought 6+ years ago and haven’t had any problems with it, also because of the features they offer such as the whole roll up assembly can be removed and replaced in under a minute if I need the room. If your looking for the most watertight one a soft one isn’t your best choice IMO some will disagree. Just did the Truxedo Pro15x last fall on my 1/2 ton cause I like the canvas look. So far so good with that one also.

If your wanting waterproof you’ll also want to do a tailgate seal and “covers” for the rear stake pocket hand holds as water/snow will get in the bed there also. 

If if you decide your not picky about what cover you get look at your local CL in the parts section for a used one. Guys who lease trucks will sell there’s when they trade brands/model years. Check with any truck accessories places near you to see if they have any used, blemish, or “demo” ones for cheap. Also check the scratch & dent sections of all the online retailers for returns or open box ones for cheap. Also if you do go new price check around I ordered my new one off AutoAnything and had them price match a price I found on EBay. They beat that price by a dollar but the EBay price was over 100 less that AutoAnything. I didn’t want the EBay one cause that seller wasn’t a authorized seller so Truxedo wouldn’t honor any warranty claim if I had/have one but AutoAnything is. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dersch said:

Good find. That is super inexpensive and looks solid. I dont have any preference hard or soft. I feel like soft is nice for the factor of rolling it completely up and not losing 1/3 of my bed 

My current truck has the GM soft tri-fold.  I hate the thing.  I lose 1/3 of my bed and it leaks like a sieve. Probably going to replace it now that winter is over.

My 18 came with the GM soft trifold as well.  It actually works pretty well.  Very little water gets in even when washing the truck.  One thing I don't like about it is the waving around when driving at speed. Drives me nuts seeing that in the mirrors.  The other thing I don't like is the third closest to the cab does not fold up which makes that part of the bed hard to use.

Edited by Mike GMC
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, wforrest08 said:

There’s a 143 page thread on this already so I’d start by reading though some of it and deciding which will work best for your needs hard or soft.

I’m a soft guy (well cover anyway people who know me say I have no soft side...) I only go with TruXedos because they last one on my 3/4 ton I bought 6+ years ago and haven’t had any problems with it, also because of the features they offer such as the whole roll up assembly can be removed and replaced in under a minute if I need the room. If your looking for the most watertight one a soft one isn’t your best choice IMO some will disagree. Just did the Truxedo Pro15x last fall on my 1/2 ton cause I like the canvas look. So far so good with that one also.

If your wanting waterproof you’ll also want to do a tailgate seal and “covers” for the rear stake pocket hand holds as water/snow will get in the bed there also. 

If if you decide your not picky about what cover you get look at your local CL in the parts section for a used one. Guys who lease trucks will sell there’s when they trade brands/model years. Check with any truck accessories places near you to see if they have any used, blemish, or “demo” ones for cheap. Also check the scratch & dent sections of all the online retailers for returns or open box ones for cheap. Also if you do go new price check around I ordered my new one off AutoAnything and had them price match a price I found on EBay. They beat that price by a dollar but the EBay price was over 100 less that AutoAnything. I didn’t want the EBay one cause that seller wasn’t a authorized seller so Truxedo wouldn’t honor any warranty claim if I had/have one but AutoAnything is. 

Thank you for the info. It doesn't have to be absolute water tight. I'm pretty much getting it so in a month when i move if it rains my shit dont get wet.

I did read through some of that thread. 

I need to check craigslist 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wforrest08 said:

I only go with TruXedos because they last one on my 3/4 ton I bought 6+ years ago and haven’t had any problems with it, also because of the features they offer such as the whole roll up assembly can be removed and replaced in under a minute if I need the room.

definitely. I love my Truxedo LoPro. Keeps stuff completely dry when I drive out of state for Christmas every year.

minimal leakage when parking outside, but nothing gets in while driving. I recommend them. but may be more expensive than you want. I think I got it for just under $500 on amazon. Always can find a used one if you want.

• Like 1

I put a Tonnopro soft rollup on my '17 when new. I needed something that would keep the rain and snow out, but also let me use 100% of the bed. This one does that. It also needed to fit under my Backrack, which this one does. It was also a very low price.

It has velcro sides which work good.

It does need a bit of extra work to get it to seal around the sides etc. A little bit of water still gets in on mine sometimes, which I may address this summer. Also, it was a bit annoying to install, but I've only had to do that twice & the 2nd time went much easier.

It's been good value for me so far.

Edited by Nanotech Environmental

14 minutes ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

I put a Tonnopro soft rollup on my '17 when new. I needed something that would keep the rain and snow out, but also let me use 100% of the bed. This one does that. It also needed to fit under my Backrack, which this one does. It was also a very low price.

It has velcro sides which work good.

It does need a bit of extra work to get it to seal around the sides etc. A little bit of water still gets in on mine sometimes, which I may address this summer. Also, it was a bit annoying to install, but I've only had to do that twice & the 2nd time went much easier.

It's been good value for me so far.

Actually that does look like a good value. Definitely might go that route. 

What are you doing to improve the seals 

gallery_151133_3740_700914.jpgChevy dealership threw one on my last truck.  Should have stole it while I was clearing it out (end of July), after the collision & being totaled, but I wasn't sure if I was going to get another Chevy or not. 

Edited by Ravenkeeper
Added picture.