Rear Seat Headrest Rattle

22 hours ago, McCoy7 said:

How did you remove them? 

There are 2 release buttons on the sides of the plastic grommets into which the headrest bars go into. Press them in at the same time and the headrest will pull up and eventually come out. You will probably have to fold the headrest down to get it out.

On 7/13/2019 at 11:37 PM, McCoy7 said:

I have had mine 2 weeks and kept hearing a rattle over certain bumps been saying I am going to take it back to service.  I figured out today this is what it is.  How did you remove them? 

Just push the button on one side of the base and wiggle the head rest out, it's a little tight.  I pulled the bars apart a bit when I switched then around and all was good when I put them back in.

I pulled my headrests out and stretched out the bars a little bit and reinstalled and boom problem solved.  Thanks guys!!!!!!

I hated to have to do that myself on a brand new truck but sure beats taking time to go to dealer.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2019 at 8:05 AM, McCoy7 said:

I pulled my headrests out and stretched out the bars a little bit and reinstalled and boom problem solved.  Thanks guys!!!!!!

I hated to have to do that myself on a brand new truck but sure beats taking time to go to dealer.  

Just went out and did this to mine as well and so far so good. went for a short drive and all was quiet. Thank you all!

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Renovator said:

We recently bought our 2019 Sierra 1500, we have maybe 300miles on it, and the same issue with the rattle in the headrest. Did what Wheelguy suggested and took care of it. Thx Wheelguy.

Not a problem. That’s one of the reasons we’re on the forums - to share knowledge & experiences. Thanks goes to the service tech that was nice enough to allow me in the shop area & actually show me what he was doing and make sure I was OK with it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yes I have heard this same issue. My temporary solution was... if you press the button as if you were to raise the head rest up, you can instead push them down slightly. They are not locked into place but it does solve the rattle until you can properly have them fixed. I hope my explanation makes sense and I hope it works for you guys too. 

I am also having a terrible rattle coming from the rear cabin on the driver's side. The sound is not coming from the headrest like others have suggested but actually from the back seat itself shaking. The only temporary solution I have found is to fold up the rear seat, which keeps the backrest from shaking. I can easily recreate this sound by opening the small compartment in the seat back and shaking the seat.   

I am new to the forum.  I picked up a 2019 GMC Sierra SLT a couple weeks ago and had this rattle almost immediately.  I tried spreading the posts apart but it didn't seem to work.  If I take them completely out, the rattle stops.  I have an appointment at the dealer over lunch today.  I can't wait to hear what they have to say.  

Just got back from the dealer.  That took almost 2 hours and I even told them where the rattle was coming from.  They were able to replicate the rattle, so that was a win.  Then they took 2 headrests from a truck on the showroom floor and put those in mine.  Apparently, the rattle disappeared.  They ordered me 2 new headrests.  So, now I wait.  

Just thought that I would followup in case it helps anyone else.  

Brian

• Thanks 1

Took mine (2019 RST) to the dealer today. Was doing very same thing and was constant. The service manager had fixed one truck before so they told me what to do and it works. 
Lower both headrest down low as they will go. That’s it and it will go away. The posts rattle the inserts if they are up.