We Have It Made IMO The Complaint Department Is Closed

diyer2

My thoughts on vehicle ownership today.

Along with the rise in cost we get some great benefits.

Were not riding horses and buggies. Sitting outside in the weather. Shoveling shit regularly and providing feed. :D

Doing tune ups with points,  condensers and spark plugs regularly.

Mandatory 3 K mile oil changes.

Cooling system flush, fills every few years.

Tires with flat spots.

The list goes on.

I remember these advances in technology that improved reliability and easier maintenance.

Disc brakes

Fuel injection

Solid state ignition

The first comfort advances.

Power brakes

Power steering

A/C

Electric wipers, not vacuum  

Then the spoiled items

Power windows

Power seats

Cruise control

Remote start

Remote entry

Etc.

I can travel 600 miles in a day easily in comfort.

Today we enjoy better tires, oil, ride, performance, reliability etc. 

So I personally have no complaints that are worth mentioning about the vehicles I own today.

Yes, they still require maintenance and they are not problem free.

I will fix the problems as they arise and be glad it's not as frequent as before.

I do sympathize with the buyers of new vehicles that have problems. 

We have it pretty good IMO.

:)

We jumped the shark with cylinder deactivation, start stop, passive driving such as auto braking. All add cost, lowers reliability. Just below the surface are vehicles with electrical problems that can’t be solved and very few post cylinder deactivation engines that wouldn’t see 300K miles that was becoming the norm with the 5.3 V8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I do believe you are correct. While the auto industry will keep changing and trying to offer such features as they once did, I'll have to accept the change. If someone is wanting a new vehicle they have to accept the advancements of the auto industry.

As I do regular maintenance on my 59, I do enjoy not having to perform that on my newer truck.

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

My thoughts on vehicle ownership today.

Along with the rise in cost we get some great benefits.

Were not riding horses and buggies. Sitting outside in the weather. Shoveling shit regularly and providing feed. :D

Doing tune ups with points,  condensers and spark plugs regularly.

Mandatory 3 K mile oil changes.

Cooling system flush, fills every few years.

Tires with flat spots.

The list goes on.

I remember these advances in technology that improved reliability and easier maintenance.

Disc brakes

Fuel injection

Solid state ignition

The first comfort advances.

Power brakes

Power steering

A/C

Electric wipers, not vacuum  

Then the spoiled items

Power windows

Power seats

Cruise control

Remote start

Remote entry

Etc.

I can travel 600 miles in a day easily in comfort.

Today we enjoy better tires, oil, ride, performance, reliability etc. 

So I personally have no complaints that are worth mentioning about the vehicles I own today.

Yes, they still require maintenance and they are not problem free.

I will fix the problems as they arise and be glad it's not as frequent as before.

I do sympathize with the buyers of new vehicles that have problems. 

We have it pretty good IMO.

I'd take the older vehicles that you could fix with a simple toolbox.  No catalytic converters, no egr or other smog equipment, no computers trying to out-think you, no mandated-for-safety airbags that might kill you, no torque management, no traction control trying to get you stuck in 4WD, no intermittent warning chimes and MIL's, no $1200 GM Tech 2 scan tools needed to re-calibrate everything after a simple repair. 

I'd gladly go back and trade points and plugs and 3000 mile oil changes for today's 20 year old clean-uniform service tech telling me "Yeah, it's definitely messed up, but we can't tell why", 4000 mile AFM oil changes and flat-spotted Bridgestone tires of today.  Back in the good old days, the only time we went to a dealer was to buy or trade.  All other diagnoses, parts purchases, and repairs were done ourselves, with our friends, or by a friendly inexpensive independent repair shop.  Today there are no more inexpensive independent repair shops because they all have to have more specialized expensive tools for each new generation of vehicles.  Now I can't even bleed my own brakes or clean my own throttle body without having a scantool to reset the ABS or TPS.  It cost $400 to replace 2 servo motors and realign the flapper doors in my Auto HVAC system in my Silverado because one side was blowing hot and the other side was blowing cold.  In the old days, for far less than $400, I replaced blower motors or blower switches myself, and if you wanted the air off, you turned it off or shut the vents.  In my opinion, the only thing better in some ways on the new vehicles is the fuel injection--starts without pumping the gas, especially helpful when going on trips from the flatland up above treeline in the thin mountain air, you don't have to adjust the carb jets for that.  

And some of those older vehicles that I have in mind are worth a fortune today.  50-60-70 years from now, I doubt anyone is going to be drooling over any vehicle made in 2019.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

My 93 Silverado was at the cross point to me.

Dependable and easy to work on.

But my 2012 is a nice truck.

Yes they are rolling computers now that require special tools.

I get being forced to pay up for repairs or tools.

The same to me as they don't care if you can afford health insurance, a home, a vehicle or ?

It is what it is. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

I'd take the older vehicles that you could fix with a simple toolbox.  No catalytic converters, no egr or other smog equipment, no computers trying to out-think you, no mandated-for-safety airbags that might kill you, no torque management, no traction control trying to get you stuck in 4WD, no intermittent warning chimes and MIL's, no $1200 GM Tech 2 scan tools needed to re-calibrate everything after a simple repair. 

I'd gladly go back and trade points and plugs and 3000 mile oil changes for today's 20 year old clean-uniform service tech telling me "Yeah, it's definitely messed up, but we can't tell why", 4000 mile AFM oil changes and flat-spotted Bridgestone tires of today.  Back in the good old days, the only time we went to a dealer was to buy or trade.  All other diagnoses, parts purchases, and repairs were done ourselves, with our friends, or by a friendly inexpensive independent repair shop.  Today there are no more inexpensive independent repair shops because they all have to have more specialized expensive tools for each new generation of vehicles.  Now I can't even bleed my own brakes or clean my own throttle body without having a scantool to reset the ABS or TPS.  It cost $400 to replace 2 servo motors and realign the flapper doors in my Auto HVAC system in my Silverado because one side was blowing hot and the other side was blowing cold.  In the old days, for far less than $400, I replaced blower motors or blower switches myself, and if you wanted the air off, you turned it off or shut the vents.  In my opinion, the only thing better in some ways on the new vehicles is the fuel injection--starts without pumping the gas, especially helpful when going on trips from the flatland up above treeline in the thin mountain air, you don't have to adjust the carb jets for that.  

And some of those older vehicles that I have in mind are worth a fortune today.  50-60-70 years from now, I doubt anyone is going to be drooling over any vehicle made in 2019.  

I"m with you on this one.

I'm an old farmboy, born between the advent of Dynaflo and Powerglide. I'm easy to please, just thankful for the electric starter, if you've ever tried to hand crank an old iH TD9 you would know what I mean. And for you diesel owners out there, be very, very thankful for the advent of glow plugs. I still have the 71 Chevelle SS that I bought new, never converted it to the HEI distributor, gives this old fart something to do to pull out the dwell meter once in awhile to adjust the points.

• Like 1

My thoughts on vehicle ownership...

We never had to give away money for car insurance.

If you put a bond up to your State Treasurer they would stamp a paper saying it is your insurance.

So when you got old you could cash your own bond and get your own money back if you never had a claim.

I know...I’m a Debbie Downer to the party....but its true.