2014 Sierra Trans Temp 200 plus???

Okay guys I dont know a whole lot but I'm kind of concerned. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra with the 6.2. I dont tow I do regular driving daily to and from work. Today I'm riding 40 to 45 minute commute to the next town over. Scrolling through the menu options I noticed my Trans Temp was 208.keeping in mind that it's only 72 degrees outside and rainy right now. I'm just wondering is this two high of temp for the trans considering it's not much load going on. Regular serviced truck only 81,500 miles. I'm more use to the temp n.v staying around 199 or less. Can anyone tell me if its something I need to get check or is it normal for these trucks? 

Do the thermostat delete mod on your transmission mine usually is 140-170 in summer heat . Now towing I don’t know yet we’ll see at the end of April going to Talladega race . I’ll be towing my 34 foot long travel trailer . I did order the l86 intake got that ordering the l86 Tb tomorrow. If you

look close I cut out that tube and sanded the mouth of the intake some .

C28DDE21-ECEC-4D08-B7BC-D43ABA688906.jpeg

66A039B4-FC71-4473-80BD-E2E20F112E41.jpeg

Maybe GM has a tech line to explain the reason behind their temps, this sounds normal for that vehicle and might not be an issue at all, but as mentioned above you do have some simple options to lower that if you would like too.

The fluid is fine at that range I did a bunch or research of about 7 brands of DexVI and it's a pretty neat oil spec wise. I have not moved on to the seals and clutch plates yet to look at the temperature rating wise its on my short list. I'm rebuiding a trans from the case up, so Im just curious for my build after I get it all back together.

If you download the fluid docs its actually the Low side they have seemed to focus on, cold weather seems to be much more of a concearn for these transmission's is the common theme I ran across, that could be a bunch of copy paste going on as well so they fit into the qualification group for "DEX VI". None of them were focusing on the high end in their description of the fluid, the specs are there for the high end.

Perto Canada had the most info for the fluid without calling them. (Im sure a quick call to any of these places just ask for a app engineer and they should have someone available to answer some basic info)

I wanted to know if the non OEM brands were the same and how different the actual specs are. This is as far as I got to actual compare the data....

But the fluid is pretty solid stuff. Seals and internals maybe someone else has some technical data on those.

The elevated temps do not appear to be an issue fluid wise, 

5cb472bb0a682_Screenshot_20190415-075941_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.c52449ec6b44cefe91ca1631ccd1f3c2.jpg

atf.pdf

I did the mod today super easy.
Few things.
2016+ looks to have a plate with a 10mm bolt that hold lines in no the older style clips. This is a good thing much easier.
Carefully on the plug you pick mine was Long and needed machining to fit.
Total cost $8.00
Time 10 minutes work more to talk and drink beer.
My truck goes straight to 200* in the first 5miles so I believe this is needed but time will tell..

Tools 13mm ratchet, 10mm wrench, c clip pliers, tap,plug,1/2 ratchet, cleaner, towels.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On 4/14/2019 at 4:00 PM, PearlSierra said:

Okay guys I dont know a whole lot but I'm kind of concerned. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra with the 6.2. I dont tow I do regular driving daily to and from work. Today I'm riding 40 to 45 minute commute to the next town over. Scrolling through the menu options I noticed my Trans Temp was 208.keeping in mind that it's only 72 degrees outside and rainy right now. I'm just wondering is this two high of temp for the trans considering it's not much load going on. Regular serviced truck only 81,500 miles. I'm more use to the temp n.v staying around 199 or less. Can anyone tell me if its something I need to get check or is it normal for these trucks? 

I had a stuck trans thermostat awhile ago.

you can check if its stuck by feeling the lines at the transmission cooler when your trans temp is 190 or higher.

The output line of the trans cooler will be ambient temp. It is on the passenger side of the trans cooler. If it is working properly the line will be hot as hell.

It is a rare issue it seems.

208 is nothing btw, zero cause for concern at that temp

Edited by truckguy82
  • Like 1

I have a 17 , I did the thermostat delete , I live in upstate NY, plow snow with this truck, The way I figure , If it doesn't work out I can always replace the assembly , I think the cost is about 55.$ . I have watched the Trani temp run 240 plowing, compared to the 2011 I traded that's 65 Degrees  hotter. Had to give it a try !

52 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

I just blew my trans up. Not from mod at all. 1-2 was slipping bad before. So new converter for sure and dont know what I will do on trans. Free gm replace or stage 3.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Free GM replace?