service 4wd light

so i got the service 4wd light come on my 2001 2500hd 8.1 .i switch the truck to 4 wheel low and is now stuck in low . the lights on the 4 wheel selector switch are not lite up .they do lite up when i first turn the key on .what i've tried so far is discontented battery for few minutes  check atc fuse is good..replace the 4wd selector switch .cleaned the grounds on frame near cab mount .check wire connections to to transfer case and front differential .i replace transfer case few years ago with a GM rebuilt .im lost hoping someone else has had same problem can steer me in right direction on they have done to fix my problem  

Had the same problem on my 2004. Turns out it was the sensor inside of the encoder motor mounted to the transfer case. $50 part AC delco on Amazon. Try the sensor first before you shell out the $$ for the entire encoder motor. 

1 hour ago, 04z71crew said:

Had the same problem on my 2004. Turns out it was the sensor inside of the encoder motor mounted to the transfer case. $50 part AC delco on Amazon. Try the sensor first before you shell out the $$ for the entire encoder motor. 

THANKS ! ill give that a try . pisses me off i should of kept the encoder when i returned my transfer case core few years ago.

On 4/15/2019 at 10:24 PM, die hard said:

THANKS ! ill give that a try . pisses me off i should of kept the encoder when i returned my transfer case core few years ago.

i had to replace the who;e encoder motor assembly ($125) i couldn't find the sensor separate even from the dealer .the motor worked so blame the sensor

txasemod.jpg

2 hours ago, 04z71crew said:

Did the new encoder motor fix the problem? Maybe the 01 wasn't serviceable. 

yes. the motor was good had to buy hole unit could find the sensor seperate

• 3 weeks later...