Buying "high mileage" truck

Looking at a couple trucks, ones a 05 Silverado 1500 with 175000 miles and the other is 07 nbs w 150k. Is it unrealistic to expect to get many more years out of either of these trucks without completely breaking the bank? Both reasonably good shape w normal rust for year. If something big does go wrong, tranny, engine problems etc are they reasonably cheap to fix given the large quantity of 5.3 l, parts etc out there?

I think you have the possibility of getting many years out of these trucks but it is all dependent on the previous owners upkeep.

The 05 would be my choice. The first years of the nnbs silverados with the active fuel management had issues.

As for high mileage I have a 99 with 348k on it one owner truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try to increase your odds as much as you can. Only pay good money for a one owner vehicle with good full service records. If it is questionable unit low ball it till you are comfortable with paying for anything that may happen. If they do not want to sell it for that move on to the next one. There are literally millions of used vehicles out there to choose from.......

I bought a "beater ride" a few months back, 2009 Tahoe 4x4 195k with all the bells and whistles Sunroof/Leather/DVD player etc plus it just had $3,300.00 worth of 3.5 lift kit/20x10 mayhem wheels and nitto grapplers installed. It was a 2nd owner (son in law bought from his father in law who bought it new) had full service records and it is doing well so far. I am pretty pleased at $6,600.00. It may blow a trans or engine in the near future but at that price I am not concerned I will just drop a used part in and move on.

The deals are out there, just do not settle for a questionable unit unless the price is right.  Good Luck man and Happy Hunting.    

5cb663485039e_09Tahoe.jpg.e189c31c856d244aaa9a188e48572b12.jpg  

I bought an '02 with 202,000 miles two weeks ago, after looking at a lot of trucks. If maintenance has been done, rust is the biggest killer of these trucks. almost all of the trucks i looked at has holes in the rocker panels, rust around the rear wheel openings, and some had holes through the frame. The one I bought was a locally owned two owner truck that was traded in twice to the same dealer it was purchased from new. It had excellent service records, the interior looked brand new, and the only rust was the paint on the rocker panels was starting to blister. The frame was perfectly clean.  It also had almost new Michelin tires, it seems like you only see those on better maintained vehicles. I felt much better about this truck than some with 125,000 miles due to the service history and amount of rust on most of them.

I'm hoping to get at least another 100,000 miles out of it, but it definitely is a roll of the dice. The amount of trucks that I saw for sale with over 300,000 miles makes me feel good about my chances.