A $0.02 review of my 2019 RST

Some of the negatives are fixed in the higher trim levels, you just need to spend more. You keep complaining about a $54k truck, do the features match a $43k truck which you paid? Or $34k with trade in? You can skip 4wd and save over 5 grand (with the Z71 package) and use that on the features you are lacking that you wanted. You'd even have some money left over to customize the appearance and get rid of all the chrome. Down here unless you go off road it isn't needed with our weather and topography. Many people I see complaining about features they don't have could be fixed by going up a trim level and not getting 4wd that realistically most don't use.

The whip antenna is great as it gives better reception, who cares about looks a truck is about utility and function. I am able to get 95.9 the ranch much further out and clearer than in our Yukon Denali with a window antenna. 

As far as colors go, GM has Black, Brown and Grey. Ram has Brown, Blue and Black. All brands depend on what model/trim allows for which colors. It isn't like they have more choices, most only have two per trim... 

Who ever said a 2020 interior redesign isn't happening, the interior is great and well laid out for a truck with good materials, no need to change (especially after 1 year when nothing is wrong with it). I want my interior to last and work, not look pretty; those usually don't go hand in hand.

Tyler

• Like 2

Great review, you pretty much nailed what I like and don't like with my RST. Overall I'm very happy with this truck.

Maybe it's just mine, but one thing to add to the list of things GM cheaped out on was the lack of illuminated vanity mirror for either driver or front passenger! That is some cheap bull**** right there.

Edited by RSTPilot86
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Some of the negatives are fixed in the higher trim levels, you just need to spend more. You keep complaining about a $54k truck, do the features match a $43k truck which you paid? Or $34k with trade in?

You're missing the forest for the trees here. 

• Like 1

Great review!

This is kinda why I ended up with a LTZ Z71. At first I thought I could get by with a LT, but I had to have buckets and the console. Then I tried the RST, but couldn't find one with everything but leather and didn't want leather that couldn't be cooled. Also, once I tried the LTZ cooled seats, I had to get all the options like cameras in the mirrors and glad I did. The only option I didn't get was safety II. There are times I wished I had the front camera, especially parking in the garage at work. Also, it has a 7' clearance. Not only do the mirror cameras help navigate the ramps, but the whip antenna helps mentally too. It does hit a couple things like signage that hangs low. 

I have heard people mention the steering wheel being straight on this gen. I didn't have the previous gen. But my wheel is definitely not dead center. It is slightly left. When I look straight, part of the speedo is blocked and I can see space left of the tach. It looks like the center is lined up with the temp icon on the temp gauge. Not horrible, but definitely not centered. Maybe that's just my OCD.

Coming from a Subaru, I've been wanting a trail boss. I love the black accents. But once I drove one and a LT/RST/LTZ, I felt that it was too tall. Even now I feel that the LTZ is too tall, lol. People at work ask if I plan to get 35s or larger, and I'm like no, these 33s are enough and it's already taller than anything not lifted. Hah.

I love this truck. Haven't had a truck in 20yrs. Last large vehicle was a 99 Yukon and a 95 Tacoma before that. 

Edited by UGADawgs
  • Like 2

Thanks, UGADawgs

The T1 really is big. Those 33” tires do make a difference. I barely got mine in my (smaller) garage last night for the hail that was supposed to hit. 

I think the ventilated seats are the feature I wish it had the most. It’s not routinely above 80° yet here in TX, and I can already notice how warm my back is on my dark leather interior when I’m driving. Ugh. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Street Queen said:

Another item to add to the negatives is that the RST does not come with rear wheel well covers.  If I had noticed this, I would have told the dealer to throw them in as a condition for purchase.

There is a bed protection package which adds the spray in liner and wheel liners for like $700. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, econometrics said:

You're missing the forest for the trees here. 

How so?  That was my impression as well.  Lots of your negatives are features offered on higher trims.  They are literally how GM differentiates the different trim levels.

3. No power passenger seat.  Got it.

4. No built-in nav. Got it.

6. No color-matched mirror covers. Got it.

7. Lacking LED lights.  Got it.

8. Dashboard.  Got it.

9. Power down windows.  You mean auto-down?  Got it for passenger too, but not rear.

14. Interior color options.  Got it.. different options for HC.

So is the complaint that the RST isn't a higher level trim?  Or is the complaint that RST and higher level trims are over priced or under-equipped for the price?  Or is the complaint that GM doesn't offer something like "BMW Individual" where you can go crazy specifying just about anything they offer on any vehicle?

I don't get it.  It seems to me you wanted something more or different then what you were willing to pay for.  I have a High Country and most of your "missing" features are in mine.  It's great.  It cost more too though.  I was willing to pay more and I got more.

I was pretty interested in the RST when it was first announced, and was surprised it didn't have the 6.2 even as an option.  I picked the High Country largely because I'm also not very interested in chrome everywhere.

You seem to be complaining that you can't have it all.  That's the forest I'm seeing from these here trees lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daverado said:

So is the complaint that the RST isn't a higher level trim?  Or is the complaint that RST and higher level trims are over priced or under-equipped for the price?  Or is the complaint that GM doesn't offer something like "BMW Individual" where you can go crazy specifying just about anything they offer on any vehicle?

I don't get it.  It seems to me you wanted something more or different then what you were willing to pay for.  I have a High Country and most of your "missing" features are in mine.  It's great.  It cost more too though.  I was willing to pay more and I got more.

I was pretty interested in the RST when it was first announced, and was surprised it didn't have the 6.2 even as an option.  I picked the High Country largely because I'm also not very interested in chrome everywhere.

You seem to be complaining that you can't have it all.  That's the forest I'm seeing from these here trees lol.

I stated pretty clearly in my post that I was willing to spend more on options if they were available, but they were not, unless I "upgraded" to an LTZ or HC. (e.g. ventilated seats & seat memory were the two options I missed the most with the RST platform/trim). 

So, yes, in some ways I do wish GM would have made more of the premium options available at lower trims. However, I'm mainly contesting that the TB and RST are not actually "lower trims". For $54-$58K, those are definitely in the mig-high to high level of trims, IMO. 

I'm not complaining that I cannot have it all. I'm very happy with my truck, and I purchased it accepting the trade-offs I was making. I'm raising the very valid point that GM continues to pad profits into the Silverado line as heavily as they can, putting the minimally accepted technology and features into a truck for the maximum price possible. ...technology that is very standard on many new vehicles that are much cheaper to buy than a 1/2T truck. 

It's 2019. 

• Like 3

traded my '05 sierra for a '19 sierra, the only thing I have found that I would say I don't like is that the rear end tends to "dance" around when on bumpy roads, the '05 didn't do this. (same roads) It never seems to get so bad that I feel out of control, but it scares my wife when the back jumps out about a foot or more.  I assume this is just a product of spring rates to get the higher load and towing ratings.

Edited by wizard4878
thought of something
  • Like 3

On 4/19/2019 at 9:07 PM, wizard4878 said:

traded my '05 sierra for a '19 sierra, the only thing I have found that I would say I don't like is that the rear end tends to "dance" around when on bumpy roads, the '05 didn't do this. (same roads) It never seems to get so bad that I feel out of control, but it scares my wife when the back jumps out about a foot or more.  I assume this is just a product of spring rates to get the higher load and towing ratings.

It definitely can be a little skittish at times. I’ve been playing with dropping the rear tire pressures a bit when driving around empty lightly loaded. The factory spec of 35 all the way around has to be a compromise to make sure you’re ready to throw on max payload at any time without overloading a tire. The weight balance empty is about 60/40 F/R, and with them all at 35psi and the bed empty, you can see the fronts are really squatted and the rears stand very tall. I’m not making huge adjustments but trying a psi or two out of the rears. It’s hard to tell if it’s making a big difference but I think it might be helping a bit.

On 4/19/2019 at 6:07 PM, wizard4878 said:

I had the EXACT same problem. Straight road but very bumpy with some dirt on it from the recent storms, not a lot though. The front stayed planted on the road while the back end got way off and I was off angle-wise and nearly hit a guy who was walking on the side of the road. I was already driving in the middle of the road and that was what saved me. If I was on the right side, I'd have hit him. I was really pissed about that. Happened only twice though and I wasn't even going over 35 mph. Finally, somebody who's had the same thing!