In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Anyone know how difficult it would be to upgrade the rear view mirror?  My trail boss came with a "dumb" mirror.  No auto dim, no compass, no onstar, no temp read out, nothing.  I'd like to at least have auto dimming, compass, and temp read out.  Rear view mirror camera would nice too.  Is there any chance that the wiring is already there for it and I just need to simply replace the mirror and plug it in?  

I've seen a lot of aftermarket options and some of them look pretty neat, but for the most part they attach to the existing mirror and I'd like to find something that is as close as possible to stock looking.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took some pictures to maybe help some people! I saw that there are three plugs up there! One for the rear view mirror and two I don't know what for. I'm hoping it's for the rear view mirror camera o

did mine today...its a quick and easy upgrade. ill provide a quick run down of the process.  the plastic cover came off at first in one piece. gently pried at the sides and it slide right off. th

So I finally had time to do mine yesterday.  Like others have said, the hardest part is removing the black cover behind the mirror.  It's in two pieces.  I was able to get the larger piece loose relat

Posted Images

1 minute ago, brisk00 said:

Anyone know how difficult it would be to upgrade the rear view mirror?  My trail boss came with a "dumb" mirror.  No auto dim, no compass, no onstar, no temp read out, nothing.  I'd like to at least have auto dimming, compass, and temp read out.  Rear view mirror camera would nice too.  Is there any chance that the wiring is already there for it and I just need to simply replace the mirror and plug it in?  

I've seen a lot of aftermarket options and some of them look pretty neat, but for the most part they attach to the existing mirror and I'd like to find something that is as close as possible to stock looking.

Thanks!

Following.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, brisk00 said:

Thanks!

Just curious, where are the controls (buttons) for On Star functions in your truck?

1 minute ago, JimCost2014 said:

Just curious, where are the controls (buttons) for On Star functions in your truck?

They are just below the home link buttons I believe.  In the same panel as the interior lights.

Aren't the ambient temp and compass direction on the audio display?

I haven't seen mirror with temp and compass since my 2011.

Tailgate camera, temp and compass have always been on radio (which of course gives a much larger camera display) on later ones I'm familiar with. 

I've been assuming the new for 19 body style would continue to have those features in the audio rather than the mirror.

2019 silverado - auto dimming is standard only on LTZ and HC.

Base mirror (no upgrades shown as available)

D31    Mirror, inside rearview, manual tilt

Std on LTZ and HC

DD8    Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming

Optional on LTZ and HC

DRZ    Rear Camera Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming with full camera display
1 - Included and only available with (CWM) Technology Package. Not available with (UVI) Trailer Camera Package.

1 minute ago, redwngr said:

Aren't the ambient temp and compass direction on the audio display?

Yes they are.  However I use Android Auto almost 100% of the time.  Which does not show temperature.  If they had the temp in the DIC that woul dbe better but sadly it's not there either.

• Like 1

Looked a little more at guide.

Standard onLT and above, optional on WT , Custom and Trail Boss

UE1         OnStar and Chevrolet connected services capable 

Compass, located in instrument cluster
1 - Included and only available with (UE1) OnStar.

(so compass only comes with Onstar, and on 3 lowest trims, Onstar only comes if ordered)

Standard, all trims

Exterior Temperature Display, located in radio display

Edited by redwngr
5 minutes ago, brisk00 said:

Yes they are.  However I use Android Auto almost 100% of the time.  Which does not show temperature.  If they had the temp in the DIC that woul dbe better but sadly it's not there either.

Seems then that AA should not take over that top strip on the screen where the temp/compass info is located.

(the other 95% of the screen should be enough to display the phone projection - imho)

1 minute ago, redwngr said:

Seems then that AA should not take over that top strip on the screen where the temp/compass info is located.

(the other 95% of the screen should be enough to display the phone projection - imho)

On my radio I believe the temp is on the bottom.

5 hours ago, brisk00 said:

On my radio I believe the temp is on the bottom.

Could be.

On my 18 it's at the top, but they could have move it in the new body style.

There is a screen in AA that will give the temp (possibly from phone rather than truck?) but I'm in agreement that temp is one of those things that would be nice to have available, anytime, at a glance.

• Like 1

I've been on the look out for a ltz or slt rearview mirror for my LT TB. If I can find one and buy it at a reasonable price I'll let y'all know. Not much out there right now with the trucks still being new but I will do this swap when I find one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
Awesome.  I'm anxious to see what you come up with.  I think first thing to do is to see if the wiring is up there to support his.
Yah I hope so too.

If any one has a part# that would be great. I can't find anything online yet, I can only find the mirror covers... My searching skills are not the greatest.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

From what Redwngr provided above...

Base mirror (no upgrades shown as available)

D31    Mirror, inside rearview, manual tilt

Std on LTZ and HC

DD8    Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming

Optional on LTZ and HC

DRZ    Rear Camera Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming with full camera display
1 - Included and only available with (CWM) Technology Package. Not available with (UVI) Trailer Camera Package.

It looks like we currenlty have the D31.  I would want to upgrade to the at least the DD8.  I highly doubt that DRZ would be compatible.  I'm not sure what camera that rear view uses.  3rd tail light camera maybe?  I have the trailer package on my TB so I wouldn't be sure at all.