Yukon (XL) vs Sequoia

Hello...First of all, I am GM guy for my trucks...on my 4th truck...however, we have had really good luck with our Toyota 4 runner for my wife...we are needing more space with her business and our kids...so we are looking for an 8 passenger vehicle...and the 2 front runners are the Yukon XL SLT and the Sequoia Limited (probably 2017 or 2018)...

i know this is a Gm thread, and expect somewhat biased opinions...but wanted to hear your thoughts/recommendations between the two...comfort and reliability are probably our two biggest drivers in making the decision...

thanks in advance!

Hello...First of all, I am GM guy for my trucks...on my 4th truck...however, we have had really good luck with our Toyota 4 runner for my wife...we are needing more space with her business and our kids...so we are looking for an 8 passenger vehicle...and the 2 front runners are the Yukon XL SLT and the Sequoia Limited (probably 2017 or 2018)...

i know this is a Gm thread, and expect somewhat biased opinions...but wanted to hear your thoughts/recommendations between the two...comfort and reliability are probably our two biggest drivers in making the decision...

thanks in advance!

My son has had electrical problems with two late model GM large SUVs. When taking it in they had separated the electrical problems from others and the waiting lists was days. Make sure you get a car fax or equivalent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

My son has had electrical problems with two late model GM large SUVs. When taking it in they had separated the electrical problems from others and the waiting lists was days. Make sure you get a car fax or equivalent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Karnut!  we have absolutely been checking carfax...it has been helpful...do you think there was something that your son could have avoided if he would have used the Carfax for his issues?  (was it flood related?)

do you have any working knowledge if the electrical issues are systemic or isolated?

thanks in advance!

I was in your same situation, loved the ride quality of the Sequoia but hated the engine noise as well as the horrible mpg’s. The Yukon looks wise is beautiful compared to the sequoia and ride quality is excellent as well. The interior of the Yukon blows away the sequoia as well as the technology offered by the Yukon. The mpg’s of the Yukon are mountains better than the sequoia. I bought the Yukon XL SLT 5.3 2WD loaded out and absolutely love it!

It’s roomiest out of the two, much better gas mileage which believe me, 5 extra mpg is welcomed on long road trips with plenty of power. I drove from Texas to Arizona (GrandCanyon) and got approx 24-26 mpg’s which is enormous difference from the out dated Sequoia. Good luck

Sent from above
  • Like 2

Thanks Karnut!  we have absolutely been checking carfax...it has been helpful...do you think there was something that your son could have avoided if he would have used the Carfax for his issues?  (was it flood related?)

do you have any working knowledge if the electrical issues are systemic or isolated?

Don’t get me wrong it’s probably not wide spread, and I’ve read about some on here. His were new 2015 And 2017 Denali. They couldn’t fix the 15 and the first time his 17 acted up he traded it for a Maserati lease to get out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, spenpet said:

thanks in advance!

The wife went from a loaded 2014 4-Runner Limited to her 2016 Tahoe, and would not even think about going back to the small SUV's.

She did look at the same year Sequoia's, drove one overnight and did not like it at all, liked her 4-Runner better.

Problem with both was gas mileage, and so far outdated on technology and design compared to the Tahoe (LTZ).

Don't think you can go wrong with the big GM SUV's.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I was in your same situation, loved the ride quality of the Sequoia but hated the engine noise as well as the horrible mpg’s. The Yukon looks wise is beautiful compared to the sequoia and ride quality is excellent as well. The interior of the Yukon blows away the sequoia as well as the technology offered by the Yukon. The mpg’s of the Yukon are mountains better than the sequoia. I bought the Yukon XL SLT 5.3 2WD loaded out and absolutely love it!

It’s roomiest out of the two, much better gas mileage which believe me, 5 extra mpg is welcomed on long road trips with plenty of power. I drove from Texas to Arizona (GrandCanyon) and got approx 24-26 mpg’s which is enormous difference from the out dated Sequoia. Good luck

Sent from above

that is impressive...I didn't know/think they could get that good of MPGs...we will be getting a 4wd, so might knock it down one or two, but still very impressive...I was thinking real world driving would have been closer to 18-19...

thank you!

53 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Don’t get me wrong it’s probably not wide spread, and I’ve read about some on here. His were new 2015 And 2017 Denali. They couldn’t fix the 15 and the first time his 17 acted up he traded it for a Maserati lease to get out of it.

your son is in a completely different league than me if he is leasing a Maserati! haha!  good for him! :)

38 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

The wife went from a loaded 2014 4-Runner Limited to her 2016 Tahoe, and would not even think about going back to the small SUV's.

She did look at the same year Sequoia's, drove one overnight and did not like it at all, liked her 4-Runner better.

Problem with both was gas mileage, and so far outdated on technology and design compared to the Tahoe (LTZ).

Don't think you can go wrong with the big GM SUV's.

my wife says she hates driving my truck...and loves her 4 Runner...so I know it will take her time to get used to driving a larger SUV, but confident she will (she has to, because I'm buying the thing! haha!)

agree with the technology and the MPGs...but the reliability of Toyota's have them still in the conversation...

we are definitely leaning the GM direction...

thanks for your comments!

your son is in a completely different league than me if he is leasing a Maserati! haha!  good for him! [emoji4]

This why I can’t understand that people buy or lease truck base vehicles that don’t need them. You can lease or buy high end vehicles for the same as a loaded truck especially an SUV. When I drove my sons car I couldn’t believe it. Adrenaline rush even driving slow.

• Like 1

that is impressive...I didn't know/think they could get that good of MPGs...we will be getting a 4wd, so might knock it down one or two, but still very impressive...I was thinking real world driving would have been closer to 18-19...

thank you!

Go test drive one and you’ll be far more impressed. My neighbor had a Sequoia, complained about mpg’s and that road trips were very cramped and jumped on a Yukon XL.
No vehicle out there will be problem free, no matter what you hear, especially in today’s world of high technology. This is the first 2WD I’ve every had and drove excellent in dry and downpours. My wife absolutely LOVES her Yukon XL. Make sure no matter what vehicle you get, run Michelin Defenders on it!

Sent from above

5 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Go test drive one and you’ll be far more impressed. My neighbor had a Sequoia, complained about mpg’s and that road trips were very cramped and jumped on a Yukon XL.
No vehicle out there will be problem free, no matter what you hear, especially in today’s world of high technology. This is the first 2WD I’ve every had and drove excellent in dry and downpours. My wife absolutely LOVES her Yukon XL. Make sure no matter what vehicle you get, run Michelin Defenders on it!

Sent from above

we run those on her 4 Runner...but I run KOs...thought about switching to those for a more aggressive look and winter driving...

11 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

This why I can’t understand that people buy or lease truck base vehicles that don’t need them. You can lease or buy high end vehicles for the same as a loaded truck especially an SUV. When I drove my sons car I couldn’t believe it. Adrenaline rush even driving slow.

you cant fit 8 people in a maserati! :)  but even if that wasn't a factor, with my wife's business, she needs the space (she can pack her 4 runner completely full and drive-not safely if you ask me-but she is the only person who can fit...all other seats are taken with her business items...)

but your point is well taken...you can buy a LOT of car for what I paid for my truck...and its a '16...prices have only gone up...

38 minutes ago, spenpet said:

my wife says she hates driving my truck...and loves her 4 Runner...so I know it will take her time to get used to driving a larger SUV, but confident she will (she has to, because I'm buying the thing! haha!)

agree with the technology and the MPGs...but the reliability of Toyota's have them still in the conversation...

we are definitely leaning the GM direction...

thanks for your comments!

You are very welcome.

My wife will never drive my truck, but loves her Tahoe.

Maybe rent a Tahoe for the weekend and have her be the primary driver, stuff her purse in the center console, put down the rear two rows of seats to compare interior space for work, let the kids sit everywhere to explore the space, and use the right pedal to merge onto the freeway, the rig will sell itself.