Yukon (XL) vs Sequoia

we run those on her 4 Runner...but I run KOs...thought about switching to those for a more aggressive look and winter driving...

If mpg’s are of any concern, I’d stay away from AT tires. At the most, get the next size up like a 275/60/20 versus the 275/55/60 stock size.

Sent from above

45 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

You are very welcome.

My wife will never drive my truck, but loves her Tahoe.

Maybe rent a Tahoe for the weekend and have her be the primary driver, stuff her purse in the center console, put down the rear two rows of seats to compare interior space for work, let the kids sit everywhere to explore the space, and use the right pedal to merge onto the freeway, the rig will sell itself.

that is some really good advice...a test drive usually doesn't do a vehicle justice (whether it be positively or negatively)...but a weekend you should be able to really get a feel for a vehicle...

thanks again.

11 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

If mpg’s are of any concern, I’d stay away from AT tires. At the most, get the next size up like a 275/60/20 versus the 275/55/60 stock size.

Sent from above

not a huge concern...but i guess it would also depend upon the real world impact...1 mpg isnt going to make any significant impact...5 would! haha!

Sequoia will hold its value way better than a Yukon XL/Suburban if that's something you're worried about. If you're planning to drive it into the ground, it won't matter but if you trade every few years it might be a bigger deal. The Toyota will also probably be more reliable since it's an ancient platform. They've had plenty of time to work the bugs out. 

I'd much rather have the Yukon aside from that. The Sequoia is dated and just not very appealing other than the resale value and reliability. 

not a huge concern...but i guess it would also depend upon the real world impact...1 mpg isnt going to make any significant impact...5 would! haha!

With my personal experience, AT’s will take away 2-3 mpg’s. The Yukon also has a 36 gallon fuel tank.

Sent from above
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, jlong1984 said:

Sequoia will hold its value way better than a Yukon XL/Suburban if that's something you're worried about. If you're planning to drive it into the ground, it won't matter but if you trade every few years it might be a bigger deal. The Toyota will also probably be more reliable since it's an ancient platform. They've had plenty of time to work the bugs out. 

I'd much rather have the Yukon aside from that. The Sequoia is dated and just not very appealing other than the resale value and reliability. 

Thanks...our plan is to cycle our vehicles every 8-10 years (so we never have 2 vehicle payments)...so somewhere in between what you mentioned! haha!  resale value does mean something for sure...reliability does mean a lot.

The XL is much larger too with even more room. I can see a comparison between a Yukon and Sequoia and an XL, that all day if the room is needed. We miss our XL sometimes now that we have a standard. 

With that said, Yukon > Sequoia all day. The GM trucks aren't at all known for unreliability. It is one of the top 10 trucks kept the longest with the most miles. With it being newer, more tech/features and better mpg and power it is a no brainer.

Tyler

• Like 2

When I was in the market last year, I looked at just about everything out there. My first stop was Toyota to see a Land Cruiser. Great vehicle, if a bit pricey. Reliability and resale value are about the only things the Sequoia has going for it. It's great on paper, real life is a little different. The powertrain is fantastic, the Toyota 5.7L is a gem of an engine. The interior though is pretty terrible, especially at the price point. Hard plastic, TINY infotainment screen, it's straight out of 2008. That was the biggest deal breaker.  It also does have a rear air suspension on the Limited/Platinum models, which is something to be aware of as a point of failure. 

I was very pleasantly surprised by the Nissan Armada on the other hand. Fantastic interior and great powertrain, but a smaller third row. It's literally identical on the interior to an Infiniti, for $20k less. They're a great value and have a 360 camera, which even the GMs don't. Reliability should be good, since they're based on the global Nissan Patrol, a very tough proven truck. The cons to me were an outdated infotatinment system (no carplay, old looking maps) and limited cargo space with the third row up, resale is also not the best.

At the end of the day though, I went with a GM truck. Reliability is great. Yes, you see more problems reported, but look at the sales numbers. I'm sure the overall proportion is pretty low. Interior is excellent, and resale is pretty good. Very well rounded. Infotainment system is very easy to use. 

Edited by Mandalorian
  • Like 2

I appreciate all of you adding comments, these are really good points, perspectives and opinions!  thank you for the help!

I know the answer to my question is just go out and drive one, (duh) but how much difference is the XL from driving a Silverado crewcab?

Edited by spenpet

When I was in the market last year, I looked at just about everything out there. My first stop was Toyota to see a Land Cruiser. Great vehicle, if a bit pricey. Reliability and resale value are about the only things the Sequoia has going for it. It's great on paper, real life is a little different. The powertrain is fantastic, the Toyota 5.7L is a gem of an engine. The interior though is pretty terrible, especially at the price point. Hard plastic, TINY infotainment screen, it's straight out of 2008. That was the biggest deal breaker.  It also does have a rear air suspension on the Limited/Platinum models, which is something to be aware of as a point of failure.   

I was very pleasantly surprised by the Nissan Armada on the other hand. Fantastic interior and great powertrain, but a smaller third row. It's literally identical on the interior to an Infiniti, for $20k less. They're a great value and have a 360 camera, which even the GMs don't. Reliability should be good, since they're based on the global Nissan Patrol, a very tough proven truck. The cons to me were an outdated infotatinment system (no carplay, old looking maps) and limited cargo space with the third row up, resale is also not the best.

At the end of the day though, I went with a GM truck. Reliability is great. Yes, you see more problems reported, but look at the sales numbers. I'm sure the overall proportion is pretty low. Interior is excellent, and resale is pretty good. Very well rounded. Infotainment system is very easy to use. 

Great post, very true but, now I miss my land cruisers. Land cruiser is a bit pricey but IMHO very much worth every penny. Downfall, horrible mpg’s and a bit lack of power considering it’s a tank. I’ve been very impressed with our 16 Yukon XL, it’s our go to road trip vehicle that’s pampered and NEVER failing us ever. As I’ve stated, mpg’s are excellent and the interior completely blows away the sequoia in every direction. Look no further, if you’re looking for a road trip SUV the Yukon XL is it.

One thing to know about, the GM’s run into carbon buildup in their DI engines but I’ve been running Lucas fuel treatment a099b3125f70915ba1774522090e2ad7.jpg in every other tank full never experiencing any issues, I also run only Amsoil Signature Series 100% Synthetic Oil and not that BS “Full Synthetic” oil. My wife and I have noticed the 5.3 in the Yukon and the 6.2 in my 18 Sierra run very smooth since I’ve started running Amsoil. Something for everyone to think about, I’m a believer, you get what you put into it.

Sent from above

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Great post, very true but, now I miss my land cruisers. Land cruiser is a bit pricey but IMHO very much worth every penny. Downfall, horrible mpg’s and a bit lack of power considering it’s a tank.

That and the LC’s third row is a joke. It’s worth getting the Lexus LX because you can get a third row delete. The Landie’s can’t easily be removed and doesn’t fold flat. Lexus also has a tan interior option.

• Like 1

That and the LC’s third row is a joke. It’s worth getting the Lexus LX because you can get a third row delete. The Landie’s can’t easily be removed and doesn’t fold flat. Lexus also has a tan interior option.

Stop it! I’m getting emotional now lol

Sent from above
  • Like 1

The current Sequoia is VERY dated and as noted the mpg stinks. A Yukon XL is head and shoulders better in ride, size and performance (especially w 6.2 engine). Buy a gently used one coming off a 2 yr lease and its a real bargain.

BTW I don't buy the Sequoia keeping its value so much better. Both of these vehicles hold their value well.

• Like 2

Yukon XL vs Toyota Sequoia?  Yukon all day bro!  Get a leftover 18-19 with the 6.2 and forget about the Yota! 

Although I LOVE the 6.2, not for everyone, recommend filling it up with premium hopefully will not be an issue especially not knowing what oil prices and OPEC will be doing in the near future. My 5.3 loaded down with 4 people and lots of suitcases gave me 24-26 mpg’s. In south Texas super is 3.70 plus per gallon and regular is 3.20 per gallon, being a 36 gallon fuel tank that’s approximately $20 difference but much higher going up north. I love my 6.2 Sierra and will never own another truck without this kind of power but I don’t drive much and if you do drive a lot then I’d recommend the 5.3 flex fuel or just 5.3 which ever you can get. Either way Denali 6.2 or SLT 5.3 is an awesome vehicle and just depends on your income and what you’re willing to spend. I chose 5.3 for longer mpg’s especially when there’s no gas station in sight for many miles hauling your family in desert like conditions. Good luck and God Bless!

Sent from above

• Like 1