Yukon (XL) vs Sequoia

I have found several 4wd, SLT, CPO ‘17, with ~50k miles for ~ $37-$39k... and can find ‘18 non-CPO for pretty much the same, maybe a hint more...that is my target... cant afford a 4wd Denali...with less than 60k miles...

I have found several 4wd, SLT, CPO ‘17, with ~50k miles for ~ $37-$39k... and can find ‘18 non-CPO for pretty much the same, maybe a hint more...that is my target... cant afford a 4wd Denali...with less than 60k miles...

I drove my 16 XL through a really bad storm one night in Florida and was forced to pull over only cause I couldn’t see more than a foot past front of the hood. Passing lots of drivers up prior to the bad stuff and it stuck on the road like glue, 2WD with 275/60/20 Michelin Defenders. Don’t forget with a 4x4 you’ve got a front diff and transfer case extra maintenance and weight.

Sent from above

1 hour ago, AirForceAngler said:

Nice ride!

Thank you!  I love the thing, but just don't get to take it out as much as I would like...needs a home that can give it more attention!

Thank you!  I love the thing, but just don't get to take it out as much as I would like...needs a home that can give it more attention!

I’ve owned a few collector vehicles. Did light restoration on some. I’ve regretted selling each one, I was always in a hurry to get to the next one. It’s getting harder to find decent ones. I hope you really thought it through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, spenpet said:

A couple things to note. If you want adaptive cruise control, VERIFY the vehicle actually has it. They all have the buttons, but not all have the actual system. Additionally, I'd highly recommend the Max Tow Package. This gives you a 2-speed transfer case, trailer brake, and 3.42 rear end. That is something to verify as well. If you're going with the 5.3, the 3.42 rear end really peps it up. Honestly, the 5.3/3.42 combo feels about 90% as powerful as a 6.2 in real world driving. 

Additionally, I don't know if cooled seats are available on SLTs, if that's something you're interested in. 

Edited by Mandalorian

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I’ve owned a few collector vehicles. Did light restoration on some. I’ve regretted selling each one, I was always in a hurry to get to the next one. It’s getting harder to find decent ones. I hope you really thought it through.

When I was younger, I had a custom chopper build...I had it well before I ever met my (now) wife...she never tried to get me to sell it...but once we got pregnant with our first child, she never got back on the bike-not because she didn't want to, but because it was an ordeal just to get a sitter, take it out, etc etc. (I took it out mostly for short drives just to keep in running well-that lasted several years until i realized that is a lot of money sitting there not really doing anything)...that evolved to an 02 corvette, which eventually evolved to this orange truck...

I know this is different because this is a classic and you are right, getting tough and tougher to find...but as life evolves and our family changes and grows, we all have to adapt.

classics need to be driven to stay in shape or they start to deteriorate in the garage...I don't want that to happen to such a great vehicle!

17 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

A couple things to note. If you want adaptive cruise control, VERIFY the vehicle actually has it. They all have the buttons, but not all have the actual system. Additionally, I'd highly recommend the Max Tow Package. This gives you a 2-speed transfer case, trailer brake, and 3.42 rear end. That is something to verify as well. If you're going with the 5.3, the 3.42 rear end really peps it up. Honestly, the 5.3/3.42 combo feels about 90% as powerful as a 6.2 in real world driving. 

Additionally, I don't know if cooled seats are available on SLTs, if that's something you're interested in. 

the only option the SLT doesn't come with standard that we would prefer is the driver alert package (which I believe you are referring to) so thank you!  the SLT  does come with heated and cooled seats...I'm not sure why, but it seems the SLT is significantly cheaper than the Chevy LTZ and they seem to be identical packages?  I have found that even the Chevy LT is more expensive than the more loaded SLT...seems odd...

if this were my daily driver, i would be 100% right there with you on the 3.42...but since it is my wife's, that isn't a concern...the 3.08 (I assume) would probably just slightly better gas mileage...

When I was younger, I had a custom chopper build...I had it well before I ever met my (now) wife...she never tried to get me to sell it...but once we got pregnant with our first child, she never got back on the bike-not because she didn't want to, but because it was an ordeal just to get a sitter, take it out, etc etc. (I took it out mostly for short drives just to keep in running well-that lasted several years until i realized that is a lot of money sitting there not really doing anything)...that evolved to an 02 corvette, which eventually evolved to this orange truck...

I know this is different because this is a classic and you are right, getting tough and tougher to find...but as life evolves and our family changes and grows, we all have to adapt.

classics need to be driven to stay in shape or they start to deteriorate in the garage...I don't want that to happen to such a great vehicle!

I have one that’s 28 years old gets driven once a week or two. One that’s 18 years old that gets driven once a month. The 28 year old I’m the third owner, the 18 year old the original owner. It still smells drives as new. I just changed the 17 year old tires. I have many I wish I haven’t sold memories. The choice of course is yours.

On 4/18/2019 at 9:23 AM, TXGREEK said:

Although I LOVE the 6.2, not for everyone, recommend filling it up with premium hopefully will not be an issue especially not knowing what oil prices and OPEC will be doing in the near future. My 5.3 loaded down with 4 people and lots of suitcases gave me 24-26 mpg’s. In south Texas super is 3.70 plus per gallon and regular is 3.20 per gallon, being a 36 gallon fuel tank that’s approximately $20 difference but much higher going up north. I love my 6.2 Sierra and will never own another truck without this kind of power but I don’t drive much and if you do drive a lot then I’d recommend the 5.3 flex fuel or just 5.3 which ever you can get. Either way Denali 6.2 or SLT 5.3 is an awesome vehicle and just depends on your income and what you’re willing to spend. I chose 5.3 for longer mpg’s especially when there’s no gas station in sight for many miles hauling your family in desert like conditions. Good luck and God Bless!

Sent from above

Yeah....I keep forgetting the Premium gas thing LOL otherwise ALL of US WOULD HAVE THE 6.2L  Haha

• Like 2

Yeah....I keep forgetting the Premium gas thing LOL otherwise ALL of US WOULD HAVE THE 6.2L  Haha

Always have to have a balance of things in life. We can’t all have the same things in life, it would be boring. Besides, this way the little 6 cylinders and 5.3 owners can experience all the hype through the 6.2 owners

Sent from above

If was in the market for a used GM SUV I would look for one equipped with the 6.2 prior to the cylinder deactivation models. You have too go to far back to find a 5.3 prior to cylinder deactivation. Pre owned Escalades become very reasonable a few years old. Something to keep in mind if you plan to keep many miles.

Yukon xl has way  more cargo space behind the 3rd row and is more roomy. Riding a slt Yukon xl is like  riding in a limo. Its a far more advanced vehicle  than the sequoia.  Better on gas as well. Toyota  has the reliability edge. However yukons have been known to the be far more  reliable  gm vehicles.  Also toyota has been cutting corners in their late models i know from owning one. Id go for Yukon xl slt they are easy to drive after 3 drives. Also check the suburban lt with lux pac which is same as a yukon slt minus the cool seats and perforated leather but has standard  leather.  And maybe a few more accents  along interior and chrome  accent  on the side steps.  I went  through same process  as you but seqouia  was out of the question due to lack of space outdated no android  auto poor gas.  The toss up for me was between a suburban lt and an expedition  max and i went for a suburban lt.  The sequoia is  not worth its price unless your  looking for a smaller 4 by 4. Don't trust  Toyota  they  are not same  as they used to be , they have issues  with failing to recall and using  cheap stuff their transmissions slip and dont shift as smooth as the tried and true 6 speed auto  in the yukon xl slt . Drive  both and youll see. 

• Like 2