Icon Coilover with control arm vs GM lift with cv shafts

I’m considering options to do a Trailboss lift on my LT Z71 5.3.

The GM suspension upgrade system (TB 2” lift) looks like a great option. Like that it’s engineered and warranted by GM, doesn’t alter my tow capacity (according to Trailboss specs), and I can check ride by test driving a Trailboss. However, wish GM system had option to upgrade shocks over the Z71 package that I already have. Can’t complain about current ride, just that if I’m going to replace stuff would like it to be an improvement. I noticed package includes modified CV shafts while all other 2" lifts (I’ve found) use a modified upper control arm (or nothing at all). I assume both are to correct geometry of lift?

Instead of swapping shocks I’m tempted to just get Icon suspension system which has coilover shocks and billet upper control arms. More than double the cost of GM lift ($1300 vs $3100) but getting a lot more than just added clearance. Besides improved suspension you can adjust lift front 0- 3”, rear 0-2" to fine tune rake. It is more than I planned to spend but seems like it might actually be a good value vs just a lift.

After reading through all post on this T1 forum and various sources on lifts and suspensions I still have some questions and hope to get some advice from the experts:

1. As GM chose to modify CV shafts instead of typical upper control arms, is this more critical correction for stress or damage to front end or do both work equally well?

2. Would changing out shocks on GM kit make sense and if so what would be a good choice?

3. Opinions on whether it is worth the added performance improving suspension with coilovers vs just a lift? Let me know what you think of Icon and suggest alternatives.

Edited by Treehugger
Typo

I went with the trail boss planning on doing the icon lift in the future. The extra length CV's should only help when adding the coilovers and uca's. I don't think one is better than the other as is but if you want the extra travel of the icon suspension then you would need the uca's and already having the CV's would just be an added benefit. With just the gm kit you don't get any extra travel so the uca's wouldn't be needed.

Is it worth the price, that's up to you. Most of us won't be bajaing it up all the time but I think the cool factor is there and you actually get something that increases travel and improves handling.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the great explanation on CV's vs uca's. Like to hear from more people but you basically answered everything.

Just read post on GM lift restrictions and apparently not compatible with LS 5.3. WTH! Coilovers are looking like even better option. Did you consider any other brands? Icon sounds pretty solid.

Although I love the idea of the 2” GM kit not affecting the vehicles warranty, the more I research the more I’m really liking the Icon Stage 2 kit. For me I don’t need anything above the Stage 2. My truck is rarely going to see dirt. And I don’t want to go the route of a spacer kit. I’ve read great things on the Icon kits especially their performance on road. Their kits are obviously pricey but I think it would be very well worth it. Since my truck is only a 2WD I don’t want some crazy lift on it.

Here’s the kit I had in mind:

http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop/complete-suspension-systems/1368-2019-up-gm-silverado-sierra-1500-15-35-suspension-system-stage2-tubular.html

Looking at same kit, but like the billet upper control arms instead of tubular. Pretty sure they both function the same tho. I agree that the coilovers make a lot of sense for a lift. Having shocks lift the vehicle instead of blocks/spacers sounds way more secure. Hope someone that has done it comments. Hope I'm not missing something about going this route.

1 hour ago, NKHex19 said:

Although I love the idea of the 2” GM kit not affecting the vehicles warranty, the more I research the more I’m really liking the Icon Stage 2 kit. For me I don’t need anything above the Stage 2. My truck is rarely going to see dirt. And I don’t want to go the route of a spacer kit. I’ve read great things on the Icon kits especially their performance on road. Their kits are obviously pricey but I think it would be very well worth it. Since my truck is only a 2WD I don’t want some crazy lift on it.

Here’s the kit I had in mind:

http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop/complete-suspension-systems/1368-2019-up-gm-silverado-sierra-1500-15-35-suspension-system-stage2-tubular.html

• Like 1

Gotcha, I wanted to make sure. The GM lift should work with all 1/2 ton Models, the suspension is the same for all if them. If you have the max tow it will still work but the shocks won't be tuned for "maximum towing"

If you have the option and can afford the icon then that's what I would go for, you could probably buy the extended CV's separately and get the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JR09country said:

Gotcha, I wanted to make sure. The GM lift should work with all 1/2 ton Models, the suspension is the same for all if them. If you have the max tow it will still work but the shocks won't be tuned for "maximum towing"

If you have the option and can afford the icon then that's what I would go for, you could probably buy the extended CV's separately and get the best of both worlds.

I was told that the reason that the GM lift isn't approved for the max trailering package is because the half shafts that come with the kit won't fit through the max trailering springs.  Do you know for sure that isn't an issue?  I'd like to get the kit for my Sierra if it'll fit.

Below was posted by Hondahalk on GM lift post. I think this means you can't use with LT 5.3 so not a option for me. Anyone know how Icon would effect warranty. Went for a test ride in Trailboss yesterday and salesman told me any non dealer installed suspension would void warranty. Maybe just trying to sell me on TB.

10 hours ago, Treehugger said:

Below was posted by Hondahalk on GM lift post. I think this means you can't use with LT 5.3 so not a option for me. Anyone know how Icon would effect warranty. Went for a test ride in Trailboss yesterday and salesman told me any non dealer installed suspension would void warranty. Maybe just trying to sell me on TB.

Not sure why it says that as the Trailboss is an LT with the 5.3 lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, z1boss said:

Not sure why it says that as the Trailboss is an LT with the 5.3 lol

Yeah whats up with that! Makes no sense. The lift kit could open up all kinds of options for buyers. Wondering if the marketing guys are behind the restrictions? Keep stock low and in demand for Trailboss with no option to build same as whats offered in TB.