2014 vs 2015 body parts swap what’s compatible

Ok so little confused lol. Never having removed or installed a rear bumper are you all saying it comes in 2 different pieces versus one complete unit?

And when you say the tailgate will bind unless you use a 1500 top, isn’t that what I’m using? I mean wouldn’t a 1500 top come with the 1500 bumper?

And what issues would I have when I try to take the 3500 bumper and put it on the 1500?

Thanks I’m learning a lot [emoji4]
If you'd like I could put together some pics pointing out the differences. I still have my old 1500 rear bumper and the 2500 mounting brackets. Could also take pics of the bumper swapped on to my truck.

Why don't you just let your insurance cover the damages?

Swapping all those parts is a lot of time. For a lot of folks, time is $$$$.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Only thing that really takes time is swapping the top step. That plastic has a ton of squeeze clips. If a guy had a hand full of mini vise grips or clamps it would be much smoother tho. Besides op already stated he wanted to save funds and do it himself. Kinda cool to see someone do it themself instead of a shop on this forum. Bring back the DIY days![emoji38]

7 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

You won't have a problem with the tailgate. Swap away.

:) That’s what I wanted to hear!!! And if I’m understanding correctly LEAVE the brackets for each bumper attached to the frame and reuse them for new bumper correct?

1 hour ago, Snowcamo said:
8 hours ago, Plumber101010 said:
Ok so little confused lol. Never having removed or installed a rear bumper are you all saying it comes in 2 different pieces versus one complete unit?

And when you say the tailgate will bind unless you use a 1500 top, isn’t that what I’m using? I mean wouldn’t a 1500 top come with the 1500 bumper?

And what issues would I have when I try to take the 3500 bumper and put it on the 1500?

Thanks I’m learning a lot emoji4.png

If you'd like I could put together some pics pointing out the differences. I still have my old 1500 rear bumper and the 2500 mounting brackets. Could also take pics of the bumper swapped on to my truck.

That would be absolutely fantastic sir!!!!!

7 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Why don't you just let your insurance cover the damages?

Swapping all those parts is a lot of time. For a lot of folks, time is $$$$.

Time IS money, unless you have more time than money :)

2 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

Only thing that really takes time is swapping the top step. That plastic has a ton of squeeze clips. If a guy had a hand full of mini vise grips or clamps it would be much smoother tho. Besides op already stated he wanted to save funds and do it himself. Kinda cool to see someone do it themself instead of a shop on this forum. Bring back the DIY days!emoji38.png

Thank you!  It was a pretty sizable check and I could definitely use the funds. Time?  I have plenty of that being retired (58) and I am basically a do it yourselfer in every aspect of life anyway. I don’t trust anyone anymore, not even to change my engine oil. Yes the world has gotten that bad and nobody but nobody cares or takes pride in the work they do!

I will admit bodywork is not something I’ve tackled before, but I mean, I’m not trying to straighten out a bent frame or doing bondo, sanding and painting!  I can’t imagine anything I’m doing to be something that could be labeled intricate. I would  think swapping a door, fender and bumper falls under the category DIY project. The windshield?  I’ll pass on that and pay the $325 Safelight quote.

Edited by Plumber101010

37 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

$325 for a windshield?

I just had mine replaced, 2012 Sierra 1500.

Our small town glass company did it for $230 with tax.

:)

Big difference in vehicles I’m guessing! I got at least a half dozen quotes and they were the cheapest.  Not by much but still the cheapest.  Other quotes anywhere from $340 to $375.

What’s still blowing my mind and I can’t wrap my brain around is that $625 for the headlight assembly!  I guess after market hasn’t come out yet..

Edited by Plumber101010

Thank you!  It was a pretty sizable check and I could definitely use the funds. Time?  I have plenty of that being retired (58) and I am basically a do it yourselfer in every aspect of life anyway. I don’t trust anyone anymore, not even to change my engine oil. Yes the world has gotten that bad and nobody but nobody cares or takes pride in the work they do!

I will admit bodywork is not something I’ve tackled before, but I mean, I’m not trying to straighten out a bent frame or doing bondo, sanding and painting!  I can’t imagine anything I’m doing to be something that could be labeled intricate. I would  think swapping a door, fender and bumper falls under the category DIY project. The windshield?  I’ll pass on that and pay the $325 Safelight quote.
Np man. Likewise with DIY stuff here. Give me a few to get things sorted and I'll get the pics. In your situation you shouldnt have to swap the top step plastic because youl have plenty room. Only thing is the gap between the top bumper plastic n tailgate will be wider then normal and the corner gaps at the bedsides will be more noticeable.

I did find after market and they are black as I’m trying to get away from the chrome. $411 as a pair instead $625 for ONE!  And I found some on Amazon as cheap as $250 for a pair!  Just took more research!

Edited by Plumber101010

2 hours ago, Snowcamo said:
3 hours ago, Plumber101010 said:

Np man. Likewise with DIY stuff here. Give me a few to get things sorted and I'll get the pics. In your situation you shouldnt have to swap the top step plastic because youl have plenty room. Only thing is the gap between the top bumper plastic n tailgate will be wider then normal and the corner gaps at the bedsides will be more noticeable.

Take your time and don’t kill yourself. I very much appreciate the effort, but won’t feel as guilty if you do it at your convenience :)

Edited by Plumber101010
Typo which is ALWAYS the reason with me
  • Like 1

Ok here we go.

1. Green dots are bumper bracket mounting locations.

2. White dots are bolt to frame locations while white lines are meant to show the differences in location. The 25/3500 brackets are set to lower the bumper by the looks as the bolt to frame locations are 3/4- 1 inch higher on the bracket.

3. Shows theres like zero gap. I forget if this was with the gate cracked open er still closed.

4. Passenger side corner bedside gap.

5. Driver's side corner bedside gap.

6. Just showes the bracket in place were it would mount.0052c700ef310464818f7b6c312da41e.jpg57f58086364c955f4486738ddfc87abc.jpg72e9d751fe431afde7dfb1de0db410f0.jpgbfb04aac7d019aa3a2b55a12818a6dd6.jpg4d8cd7334e8ed59bc36ed03d28f05c52.jpg29bf9e22d19fba49958ecb1607d0af5d.jpg

Got lost in the convo earlier. Since your swaping a 1500 on your 3500 you will have a more noticeable gap here is what your up against. Little squeeze clips that really make having a second set of hands and a few vise grips necessary.the white paint spots are the clipps that broke off in frustration. Patience is key. Also working in the grass or on carpet if possible will save scratches on your bumper. Was gonna sell mine as it was mint. Body shop messed it up real good.2d60c8983635e21dd9281ef1f485d459.jpg237ab9c7fdda39f8cbfb71777e18d053.jpg95940fff78bc524161555c466cbea876.jpg

Haven’t looked at the pics yet but oh my goodness it looks VERY in-depth, thank you so much!!!!  Always nice when a stranger goes out of their way to help another stranger!  I was expecting one picture just showing me the gap LOL!

FYI i’m a retired 35 year master repair plumber so if I can ever help anyone with plumbing questions feel free to get a hold of me!!!  

I wanted to post this question first and then I’ll study what you’ve got. I just noticed that the actual headlight assembly is intact and everything is fine, the only thing that’s cracked is the outside clear cover. Is that a replaceable item and do they even sell such things???  Sure would save me a lot of trouble :)

Edited by Plumber101010

OK so I guess what you’re saying is that the plastic top with the broken clips is something that has to be removed in order to R&R the bumper correct?  I haven’t even looked at it yet in regards to doing it but that’s what I’m gathering. I’m a creative kind of guy and things like clips won’t even bother me because even if I bust them, I’ll drill little holes and put in black screws with a nice cone washer.

But I don’t think there’s going to be any difference between the 2500 and the 3500 do you?  Are you thinking maybe it’s a little higher in the back  because of the extra leaf spring so I will have a gap?

Because personally? I absolutely love the way it looks on your truck and I have no problems filling that gap at all. Looks much more custom and a perfect fit to me. So guess the only question is whether or not they purposely designed it with the gap for some reason that only engineers are aware of?

And it looks like the tailgate will easily open but you’re saying it hits a little bit?

This is all going to help immensely and I won’t have to stare at it for long I can just dive in then go to work!!!  Looks like once I’m set up with my tools and everything it’s something that would only take maybe 1 1/2 hours?  Times two would be three hours :)

And I guess you bought your bumper out right, as there aren’t too many circumstances where people can swap bumpers so the only question left would be if I have any issues when I put the 3500 on the 1500!

Edited by Plumber101010