2014 vs 2015 body parts swap what’s compatible

Speaking of selling your bumper, since I bought a new pair of Spyder headlamps I won’t need the passenger headlight assembly. And since the OEM is going for $650 bucks with absolutely NO availability for used even checking eBay and online junk yards,  I may be able to pick me up a fast $500 :)

OK so I guess what you’re saying is that the plastic top with the broken clips is something that has to be removed in order to R&R the bumper correct?  I haven’t even looked at it yet in regards to doing it but that’s what I’m gathering. I’m a creative kind of guy and things like clips won’t even bother me because even if I bust them, I’ll drill little holes and put in black screws with a nice cone washer.

But I don’t think there’s going to be any difference between the 2500 and the 3500 do you?  Are you thinking maybe it’s a little higher in the back  because of the extra leaf spring so I will have a gap?

Because personally? I absolutely love the way it looks on your truck and I have no problems filling that gap at all.  Looks much more custom and a perfect fit to me. So guess the only question is whether or not they purposely designed it with the gap for some reason that only engineers are aware of?

And it looks like the tailgate will easily open but you’re saying it hits a little bit?

This is all going to help immensely and I won’t have to stare at it for long I can just dive in then go to work!!!  Looks like once I’m set up with my tools and everything it’s something that would only take maybe 1 1/2 hours?  Times two would be three hours [emoji4]

And I guess you bought your bumper out right, as there aren’t too many circumstances where people can swap bumpers so the only question left would be if I have any issues when I put the 3500 on the 1500!

In your case you don't have to swap the top step, but for it to look aesthetically pleasing you should. If you look at the back of your truck the gaps there now will be a bit more wide with the 1500 top step. Say 1/2 maybe

There should not be a difference between the 2500 and 3500. Are the bumpers your dealing with swapping between these two? I was thinking your talking about taking one from a 1500. If not heck it's a direct swap.

If i remember correctly once gm trucks go to 2500 the frame is larger and the body mounts are aswell thus making the truck look taller. I think the gap difference is due to the taller body mounts used on the 2500s

The tailgate hits the top step but I think I can heat and put a curve in that part out of the way. If your swapping bumpers from a 1500 to 2500 or 2500 to 3500 you Don't have any worries about the tail gate hitting anything you'll have enough gap for sure. Yep I bought it cash brand new. I know a guy who buys a shipping container full brand new. Cost $300

You shouldn't have any issues. To make things really simple. Remove all eletrical, hitch and spare tire deal from the bumper. Have an extra set of hands avalible. Remove the bolts that hold the bracket to the frame. Remove the bumper. It will be eaisier this way vs just the bumper itself as there are (2) bolts
You may need to get to under the step, but a box wrench will reach no prob once the bumper is off. Looking forward to hearing how this works out for ya man!

Speaking of selling your bumper, since I bought a new pair of Spyder headlamps I won’t need the passenger headlight assembly. And since the OEM is going for $650 bucks with absolutely NO availability for used even checking eBay and online junk yards,  I may be able to pick me up a fast $500 [emoji4]
Maybe so. Ebayers would by it quickly.

No you are correct, it’s a 1500 to a 3500.  I was just saying the difference between a 2500 vs 3500 because you said in a post that yours was a 2500 but because I had a 3500 the gap would be more.

1 hour ago, Snowcamo said:

In your case you don't have to swap the top step, but for it to look aesthetically pleasing you should. If you look at the back of your truck the gaps there now will be a bit more wide with the 1500 top step. Say 1/2 maybe

There should not be a difference between the 2500 and 3500. Are the bumpers your dealing with swapping between these two? I was thinking your talking about taking one from a 1500. If not heck it's a direct swap.

If i remember correctly once gm trucks go to 2500 the frame is larger and the body mounts are aswell thus making the truck look taller. I think the gap difference is due to the taller body mounts used on the 2500s

The tailgate hits the top step but I think I can heat and put a curve in that part out of the way. If your swapping bumpers from a 1500 to 2500 or 2500 to 3500 you Don't have any worries about the tail gate hitting anything you'll have enough gap for sure. Yep I bought it cash brand new. I know a guy who buys a shipping container full brand new. Cost $300

You shouldn't have any issues. To make things really simple. Remove all eletrical, hitch and spare tire deal from the bumper. Have an extra set of hands avalible. Remove the bolts that hold the bracket to the frame. Remove the bumper. It will be eaisier this way vs just the bumper itself as there are (2) bolts
You may need to get to under the step, but a box wrench will reach no prob once the bumper is off. Looking forward to hearing how this works out for ya man!

That confused me a little bit because an earlier post, not sure if it was you, said to LEAVE the brackets on the frame and reuse them for the new bumper.  But you’re saying go ahead and take the bumper WITH brackets and all and just attach it to the 3500 because it’s only two bolts that way.

Also confused why you were saying I won’t have an issue with tailgate because didn’t you go with a 1500 to a 2500 or are you saying because I have a 3500 the gap will be more so the tailgate won’t hit.

Sorry to be so confused :(

Wow!  Really only two bolts holding the entire bumper?  Must be really big ones LOL 

Edited by Plumber101010

Sorry for the confusion got allot going on here. My truck is a 1500. The bumper swapped for was ment for a 2500. There are a total of 5 bolts for each bracket on the bumper side. Two of which are connected to the topside of the bumper. The two green dots at the topside are the ones in question.990ff812a886a8a2b76452db7a3ffa3e.jpg

23 hours ago, Snowcamo said:
On 4/19/2019 at 10:29 PM, HeySkippyDog said:
Using that logic a 1500 rear bumper oughta bolt right up to a 3500 with no problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Since we are talking just the bumper yes. The two mounting brackets connecting to the frame would stay on the truck the bumper is being mounted to. So just reuse the old brakets.no big deal.

Yes that was you that said that!!!  So did you change your mind or am I just reading this wrong?  I’m thinking the terminology would be leave the brackets on the bumper or leave the brackets on the frame of the truck?? 

Edited by Plumber101010

That confused me a little bit because an earlier post, not sure if it was you, said to LEAVE the brackets on the frame and reuse them for the new bumper.  But you’re saying go ahead and take the bumper WITH brackets and all and just attach it to the 3500 because it’s only two bolts that way.

Also confused why you were saying I won’t have an issue with tailgate because didn’t you go with a 1500 to a 2500 or are you saying because I have a 3500 the gap will be more so the tailgate won’t hit.

Sorry to be so confused [emoji20]

Wow!  Really only two bolts holding the entire bumper?  Must be really big ones LOL 
You can leave the bracket on but it will be more time consuming. On 1500s if you leave the bracket on youll need to lift the bed as well. So its easy to detach it from the frame side then going through that hassel

Now I completely understand!!!  I was confused because I thought you took a 1500 bumper and put it on your 2500!  It’s the other way around that’s where I was getting messed up with the top step :)

Yes that was you that said that!!!  So did you change your mind or am I just reading this wrong?  I’m thinking the terminology would be leave the brackets on the bumper or leave the brackets on the frame of the truck?? 

In this post I should of just said the brackets that came with the truck should be the ones used to mount the new bumper.

Oh crap, there I went and got confused again after your last post!  Brackets that came with the truck meaning stays on the truck and not the bumper LMAO!!!!  OK I should take a deep breath lol.

I’m just going to ignore all of the previous posts  and go with your last one which made absolute sense to me!  But I’m going to word it differently  without offending you please! LOL

Disconnect the brackets that hold the bumper to the frame on the frame side and leave attached to the bumper.  I think that’s what you are definitely telling me correct?

Thanks for your awesomely fast responses and hanging in there with me to the brutal end :)

Oh crap, there I went and got confused again after your last post!  Brackets that came with the truck meaning stays on the truck and not the bumper LMAO!!!!  OK I should take a deep breath lol.

I’m just going to ignore all of the previous posts  and go with your last one which made absolute sense to me!  But I’m going to word it differently  without offending you please! LOL

Disconnect the brackets that hold the bumper to the frame on the frame side and leave attached to the bumper.  I think that’s what you are definitely telling me correct?

Thanks for your awesomely fast responses and hanging in there with me to the brutal end [emoji4]
Totally. Np man.

It’s a wrap! Will send before and after pictures on both trucks for anyone attempting to do this project in the future as it should benefit everyone no matter which way they decide to go because I’m putting a 1500 on a 3500 AND a 3500 on a 1500! 2500 being the same as a 3500.

So today I removed the fender from the 2015 which took a little longer than I had hoped but about two hours. Monday I will remove the fender from the 14 and and install on 15. Then Monday afternoon we start with the bumper!  Forgot to take pictures of both but will post Monday.