Considering purchasing a high mileage 2014 Sierra Denali 6.2. Should I?

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:25 AM, KARNUT said:

I don’t believe the 14 6.2s we’re cylinder deactivation yet. Something to check out and one less worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 14 had DOD, bought a Range disabler and set off CEL's every time I plugged it in.

My 14 had DOD, bought a Range disabler and set off CEL's every time I plugged it in.

Early in the thread someone said the 13 6.2 didn’t have cylinder deactivation. One less worry if that’s a concern and not too long ago. I know people who experience electrical issues and that was mentioned in this thread. I don’t know if I would be as concerned about that. Electrical problems usually shows up early and would be on the car-fax. Where cylinder deactivation problems would usually show up in the 100-150K range.

• Like 1

There is a lot of good points being made in this post.   I personally wouldn't purchase any popular late model 1/2 ton with 157K miles unless it was priced ridiculously low.  Unless the truck is an older collectable,  this kind of mileage doesn't warrant a price tag in the $20K range.  You will find everyone thinks this way if you ever try to resell!   

• Like 1

I went through a older truck phase 10 years ago it last about 5 years. I bought first a 98 XLT Ford with 100K miles for 5K. I change the fluids put 30K miles on it. A costumer of mine had a 2 door Tahoe that was pretty nice and had 130K miles on it we traded. I drove it for a year put a lot of miles on it. I put it on a sell your car lot and got my 5K back. I saw my current 92 that was highly modified and had to have it. It had 100K miles on it. It was a daily driver for a year. I went through a sport car phase and later bought my 14. Non of those 3 older trucks required more than general maintenance. I can’t imagine trucks have gotten so unreliable I couldn’t do that again. Iv only put 10K miles on the 92 in eight years, general service is all it’s needed.

There is a lot of good points being made in this post.   I personally wouldn't purchase any popular late model 1/2 ton with 157K miles unless it was priced ridiculously low.  Unless the truck is an older collectable,  this kind of mileage doesn't warrant a price tag in the $20K range.  You will find everyone thinks this way if you ever try to resell!   
You always lose on a sale. Always.

You are devaluing your vehicle every time you turn the key.

Accept it, move on. It's never as new to the 2nd buyer as it was to you. Unless it's some collector car, you're always taking a loss.

The *only* way to get your value is to drive it until it won't anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Early in the thread someone said the 13 6.2 didn’t have cylinder deactivation.

Totally different motor.  '13 6.2L is the port injected L92.  Not a lot of parts transfer over to the L86.  L92 is also not in the K2 trucks but rather the GMT-900, so you are going from a 2014 design back to the 2007 design. 

8 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

You always lose on a sale. Always.

You are devaluing your vehicle every time you turn the key.

Accept it, move on. It's never as new to the 2nd buyer as it was to you. Unless it's some collector car, you're always taking a loss.

The *only* way to get your value is to drive it until it won't anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

I agree.  My point was specific to high mileage vehicles.  Buyers use mileage as a an initial screening tool.  The number of people willing to come look at your vehicle with inordinately high mileage are significantly reduced.  Those that come will expect a premium discount.  If Op buys a similar vehicle with less bells and whistles but average  mileage for its year,  I believe he won't lose as many of his truck buying dollars!

Totally different motor.  '13 6.2L is the port injected L92.  Not a lot of parts transfer over to the L86.  L92 is also not in the K2 trucks but rather the GMT-900, so you are going from a 2014 design back to the 2007 design. 

That’s the point. I’m not a fan of cylinder deactivation. The 6.2-5.3 prior to cylinder deactivation were bulletproof, much like the 6.0. I wouldn’t own one. My brother in law routinely gets 300K out of his GM SUVs and pickups. He just bought one with cylinder deactivation. It’s in his garage next to his 200K mile one he just took from his wife.

I wish the @Z06_Mike would provide some more input here on his own post...The guy joins Friday, makes a post and then ghosts it...There are clearly people on here taking their time to provide valuable input for your consideration.

probably better off w/ a higher mileage example of a first gen model like the 2014 K2's.....they DO HAVE PROBLEMS - but, since the ones you're looking @ have over 100k you should be right to assume that major issues/problems/warranty work was addressed during the 1st ownership cycle, otherwise it'd be pretty tough to rack up that kind of mileage ignoring a bunch of problems & just keep driving it w/o a major failure or gouging your eyes out lol!

SO when it comes to these trucks, higher mileage isn't necessarily a bad thing if the prior owner took care of a lot of the common headaches.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 7:37 AM, NCPGMC said:

Is there any "must haves?" What size cab? What color? 4x4 or 4x2? These would all come into play...you can practically buy a brand new single cab base model for that much...

The must haves would be CC, SLT/LTZ and 4x4. The 6.2L isn't a must. 

On 4/22/2019 at 9:33 AM, truckguy82 said:

Keep in mind, newer vehicles with very high miles are usually in much better condition then older vehicles with high mileage.

because with so many miles in such a short time its most likely highway miles, which you could verify with engine hour counter.

When you’re on the highway you’re generally in your highest gear, which means nearly everything before the driveshaft is taking far less abuse per mile. There are just less engine revolutions per mile. Less time for electronics to be functioning. Less heat cycles, less time in the drivers seat, less time on the brakes, less time for nearly everything.

It’s very possible, almost likely, that if a truck spent most of it’s life at highway speeds, it could have less usage on it than one with half the mileage but spent driving through a suburban or city environment.

I just recommend looking at the hour counter on a high mileage truck and figure out it’s average speed.

Also don’t be scared of ‘14’s. Hardly the maintenance nightmare people make it out to be. I’ve had no more issues with my truck than anybody else. It’s been extremely reliable.

This is typically my thought a 2014 with the amount of miles would have to be majority highway. 

43 minutes ago, NCPGMC said:

I wish the @Z06_Mike would provide some more input here on his own post...The guy joins Friday, makes a post and then ghosts it...There are clearly people on here taking their time to provide valuable input for your consideration.

Sorry for the long reply I've been traveling and don't like to reply using my phone. 

42 minutes ago, crushNchowda said:

probably better off w/ a higher mileage example of a first gen model like the 2014 K2's.....they DO HAVE PROBLEMS - but, since the ones you're looking @ have over 100k you should be right to assume that major issues/problems/warranty work was addressed during the 1st ownership cycle, otherwise it'd be pretty tough to rack up that kind of mileage ignoring a bunch of problems & just keep driving it w/o a major failure or gouging your eyes out lol!

SO when it comes to these trucks, higher mileage isn't necessarily a bad thing if the prior owner took care of a lot of the common headaches.

This is a good point at 157K miles the assupmtion would be that most issues would have already arisen as far as AC or quirky issues however the AFM lifters mechanicals would be starting to wear.

All in all I thank you all for the input but I think I'm going to pass on this one if he was willing to lower the price closer to $20K I would bite but it's a difficult pill to swallow spending mid $20K on a truck with 160K miles. I would rather spend $13K on a GMT900 with the same miles. I do all the work and maintenance on vehicles myself so I'm not too considered with replacing some parts but somethings can get expensive. I'm going to keep a look out for a K series closer to 20K if I don't find one I'll go back to the GMT900 plenty of those out there. 

1 hour ago, Z06_Mike said:

I'm going to look at a 2014 Denali to day with 125K miles he wants $23K for it. It has had new tires, ball joints, battery and AC condenser installed recently.

I was in a somewhat similar mindset because I originally wanted an Ltz. When it came to the va,use of purchasing a new LT plus model, or a used Ltz, I decided to go with the LT.  I’ve been adding bits and pieces to make it an LTz light. Whatever way you go, good luck. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Z06_Mike said:

I'm going to look at a 2014 Denali to day with 125K miles he wants $23K for it. It has had new tires, ball joints, battery and AC condenser installed recently.

Have you looked at a well equipped, low mileage SLE?  Mine came with leather and host of other options above base.  It is a '15 and my daily driver.  I have only managed to put on the equivalent of 34K miles in the past three and a half years.  My truck isn't for sale but I don't think my situation is unusual.  I've seen similar trucks with low miles for sale on my dealer's lot.   A truck with 100K + miles has lost its position in the $20,000 market, imo.

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

A truck with 100K + miles has lost its position in the $20,000 market, imo.

Especially if it has has 157,000 miles and is 5 years old. Way better trucks can be had for 20G

• Like 1