In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Add HUD to SLT

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought a complete dash out of a 2020 Silverado with HUD.  I stripped the dash and cut open the harness.  Removed the HUD circuits from donor dash.  I then dismantled my dash.  I replaced the center stack hvac vent which is narrower in a HUD truck.   I replaced the drivers side vent which is flatter to let the hud mount clear.  I cut open my dash harness and soldered the HUD harness circuits into my dash harness.  There are 5 circuits that need tapped. 2 grounds, 1 power, 1 led backlight and 1 lin bus.  Lin bus gets soldered into the cluster harness.  1 ground I soldered into the parking brake button.  The other 3 go in to the main trunk of harness.  I then cut the HUD 2 support mounts from the donor dash support and welded them into my dash support.  There are 3 mounts for the hud support 1 was already there.  I was then able to attach HUD support the mounts in my truck I connected everything and put everything back together and then HUD worked.  I did not swap windshield there is a little ghosting.  The HUD image is actually much bigger than I can capture in picture, I do not know why that is.  I am thinking about tinting windshield slightly to help with eliminating ghosting. 20210530_125917.thumb.jpg.b3673cd62bbb77152f34c1852af5ec65.jpg20210530_072433.thumb.jpg.0dcf428a0d8af74daf8d30c59a3e2dde.jpg20210530_073757.thumb.jpg.df181d9488edea85704f9f685b51a358.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I used the following PNs:

Mount Bracket: 23407367                                          $65
Driver Information Display Switch: 84456360           $31
Instrument Cluster: 84804721                                    $412
Instrument Panel: 84553050                                      $280   Has dash panel, HUD trim bezel, and mounting strip
Cluster Visor: 84054788                                             $70 Designed for HUD
Head-up Display: 84395830                                      $510
Outlet Duct: 23391609                                                $24  - Allows you to keep the Drivers side left defroster
Windshield: 84398043                                                $394   (Not used at this time)

WAM VIN Programmed                                                $200 + &80 round shipping
Phil’s custom harness                                                  $150 -2014 - 2018 Silverado / Sierra - HUD Retrofit Harness - Harness Dr. - DIY Done Right 

are you planning on throwing some 50% tint down? the slight blurryness is hurting my eyes 😳.  what did you do about only having 1 out of 3 mount brackets for hud bracket?  i bought entire dash so i could cut those mounts out.  nice work it was a fun upgrade.

The slight blurryness doesn't bother me so much.  I may start researching for ceramic windshield tint. If anything to help keep the interior cooler.  Maybe find a piece and put it where the HUD displays for a test. Without the 2 mounts you get the HUD to bounce around a little when going over bumps.   I may zip tie the back down as you can get to it just by removing the driver console.  Since I can't weld, I'd have to get the complete frame and really tear the dash down.  

• 4 weeks later...