Rim rubbing on A-Arm - 2017 GMC 1500 w/ 2.5” leveling kit

I have just noticed a popping sound with I turn, and noticed the A-arm has marks from metal to metal rubbing. I am looking to get new tires, most likely 285/60R20 with stock rims. What do I need to do to fix the rubbing and to fit those tires? Would spacers fix this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What UCAs are people running with a 2.5” Leveling Kit?

I’m using ready lift UCA’s on my 2” level but I know they will work with 2.5

On 4/21/2019 at 1:40 PM, 2017Wallace said:

I have just noticed a popping sound with I turn, and noticed the A-arm has marks from metal to metal rubbing. I am looking to get new tires, most likely 285/60R20 with stock rims. What do I need to do to fix the rubbing and to fit those tires? Would spacers fix this issue?

What 2.5” kit are you using? I have a 2.5” Rough Country leveling lift and had zero issues with the stock 20” wheels rubbing. I then put on some 295/70R17 Nitto tires paired with +0 offset 17” wheels and still only the larger tires slightly rub on the wheel liner. No metal. 

But like others said and I agree, your best option would be new UCA if you want to keep your current wheels. Spacers would likely work as well, however I personally would advise not to do that if you don’t have to. Then finally you could get new wheels with a different offset. 

What 2.5” kit are you using? I have a 2.5” Rough Country leveling lift and had zero issues with the stock 20” wheels rubbing. I then put on some 295/70R17 Nitto tires paired with +0 offset 17” wheels and still only the larger tires slightly rub on the wheel liner. No metal. 

But like others said and I agree, your best option would be new UCA if you want to keep your current wheels. Spacers would likely work as well, however I personally would advise not to do that if you don’t have to. Then finally you could get new wheels with a different offset. 

I am using a motofab 2.5” leveling kit (2” lower spacer, 0.5” upper spacer). I noticed it after I towed a boat for almost 4 hours.

What UCAs have people been running?

What UCAs have people been running?

I’m using ready lift UCA’s cause I found a coupon for them on amazon and got them for dirt cheap. My local Offroad shop said that they tell everyone with smaller lifts and levels to run moog cause they are inexpensive and have a million mile warranty.

4 hours ago, 2017Wallace said:

I am using a motofab 2.5” leveling kit (2” lower spacer, 0.5” upper spacer). I noticed it after I towed a boat for almost 4 hours.

Does it only do it when your towing then? If so, then you could potentially do something so your back end doesn’t sag down under a load, which would stop the front end from lifting up and reducing the angle of UCA’s.

So for example you could install a air bag suspension kit that would allow you to level out your ride while under load. New UCA’s would be the best thing to do in my opinion, but just throwing out some other ideas. 

As far as UCAs, I still have the stock ones so I can’t recommend anything out of experience. However it seems like people like the Ready Lift UCAs. Rough Country has some too I believe, but I would say Ready Lift would be a better quality product than Rough Country.

So RC just told me I need to remove the 0.5” top spacer and purchase the preload spacer they sell to stop the tire from rubbing the UCA at full lock. Does this make sense to anyone?

22 hours ago, 2017Wallace said:

So RC just told me I need to remove the 0.5” top spacer and purchase the preload spacer they sell to stop the tire from rubbing the UCA at full lock. Does this make sense to anyone?

Are you talking about a preload spring that goes inside the strut assembly? I’m pretty sure that would effect the ride quality.

Can you take some picutres of your UCA  and wheel, showing where it’s rubbing? Also what kind of stock wheels are you running?

Are you talking about a preload spring that goes inside the strut assembly? I’m pretty sure that would effect the ride quality.

Can you take some picutres of your UCA  and wheel, showing where it’s rubbing? Also what kind of stock wheels are you running?

Yeah RC said the preload spacer is only for stamped steel control arms. But this is the first I am hearing of a preload spacer. I was wondering if anyone is running the RC 2.5” leveling kit with the preload spacer?

I will try and take pictures today. It’s the 20” snowflake SLT rims, with +27mm offset

I'm having trouble understanding why the preload spacer would do anything for you. The UCA's are stretched since you're at 2.5". That change is responsible for the contact with the wheel. Putting that spacer inside the strut wouldn't change the ride height... 

I think you're looking at new UCA's, new wheels, wheel spacers, or maybe remove the top 0.5" spacer altogether?