In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Uncomfortable driver seat in AT4 with vibrating seats inserts (safety package)

On 9/17/2019 at 9:59 AM, Zeker said:

I have been fighting my seat since I got my TB. Among other issues I agree they seem very firm. I have been adding foam to different areas to try and compensate for places I feel I need some added support to try and alleviate some of the discomfort. I find myself often shifting my body position on even shorter trips due to being uncomfortable.  Just this weekend my cousin sat in my TB and first thing she said was how firm the seats are. She has a 2007 Tahoe.

I love the TB but having an uncomfortable seats really takes away from enjoying the truck. I have never had any issues with any other seats in all my years of driving.  I'm to the point of either trying to get a custom seat shop to take a look at it or even going as far as trading the truck. I really hate to take such a loss this early in owning the truck by trading but things don't seem to be getting better.

Would you mind explaining how to access under the seat cover to add foam?  I have to do something, I hate driving my truck lately :(

I tried a couple cushions and wasn't a fan of the look and I didn't think they did much. Kind of bulky.

To get to the back of the seat there are two j type hooks that are on the bottom part of the back cover and connect under the seat. If you push them forward while pushing them down (hope that makes sense) that will unhook off the metal support. I don't have a pic of them unfortunately.

Then there is a plastic c type bracket that goes across the whole back horizontally down on the bottom part of the back seat cover. I'll attach a pic with it circled. It connects the lower and upper seat cover so there is a c type connecter on both and they connect together.

20201003_164727.thumb.jpg.9f3f0e060ea45989d95588e8a16ba603.jpg

There are two zippers, one on each side, that go up the length vertically on the seat. They are tight at the bottom so be careful when you go to close it up. I found it easier if one person held the seat cover together while another person zips it closed. Be careful not to zip all the way off the end ( I MAY have done that) It is a pain to get it back on but can be done. You can see the two j type hooks hanging at the very bottom that connect under the seat.

20201003_165333.thumb.jpg.9a5bcb56e00ab3045e94e56284d24064.jpg

There also is a j type connector on the inside of the back flap about right above there the pocket is. It attaches to the vertical rail that is the lateral support. There is one on each side.

After you have done it once it should hopefully make sense and it really isn't hard to open and close. 

I got the bottom seat cushion kind of off once but it was such a tight fit I really couldn't get anything in there to help out. 

Hope this helps if you decide to do it.

Edited by Zeker

Forgot to add to my last post.....I always had an issue with the left lateral support too. The thing that helped there was a long piece of harder, packing foam. There is a metal frame that runs vertical up both sides of the seat. There is a bigger gap on the left side versus the right between the metal frame and the inside of the seat cover/cushion that covers over it and provides the lateral support. I put the foam in that space and felt that made a noticeable difference.

20201003.thumb.jpg.b54ebef8cfdd6b12e813a1790a92c0ff.jpg

Edited by Zeker

2 hours ago, Zeker said:

Forgot to add to my last post.....I always had an issue with the left lateral support too. The thing that helped there was a long piece of harder, packing foam. There is a metal frame that runs vertical up both sides of the seat. There is a bigger gap on the left side versus the right between the metal frame and the inside of the seat cover/cushion that covers over it and provides the lateral support. I put the foam in that space and felt that made a noticeable difference.

20201003.thumb.jpg.b54ebef8cfdd6b12e813a1790a92c0ff.jpg

Thanks for this!  Unfortunate to see you find it uncomfortable with leather too (I have cloth).  So you couldn't get to the bottom cushion?  That's where my major issue is, The left bottom thigh bolster DIGS in my thigh.  I don't even think I have a very wide body.. it's annoying!

4 hours ago, Mike Borowski said:

Thanks for this!  Unfortunate to see you find it uncomfortable with leather too (I have cloth).  So you couldn't get to the bottom cushion?  That's where my major issue is, The left bottom thigh bolster DIGS in my thigh.  I don't even think I have a very wide body.. it's annoying!

Of the few seat cushions I tried this was the best in  my opinion. 

kingphenix Car Seat Cushion with 1.2inch Comfort Memory Foam, Seat Cushion for Car and Office Chair (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZJGYZ7/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_gnuEFbWG4HR0P

On 10/2/2020 at 2:10 PM, Mike Borowski said:

Anyone found a seat cushion that doesn't look terrible and helps make the seat more comfortable?

i bought a blue gel cushion on amazon for 23 bucks that works good has black cover, it sits in middle of seat between bolsters  one way if you turn it sideways it sits across whole seat, and helps me alot. brand was Cclub thick egg seat cushion 22.98 

• Like 1

I’ve tried several seat cushions. They either looked ugly, moved or just weren’t comfortable. These are the best solution I’ve found. They don’t raise you up which I like, they don’t look too ugly (they come in grey too but I like the 2 tone) and they stop my leg/back from hurting on longer rides. 

Suninbox Car Seat Covers,2 Pack... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMZQKB3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

E6DB3318-C4AE-45D3-81C0-9170BFB87BFF.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes i have a 2020 sierra at 40k miles and I've noticed the same thing after the first 10k. I've taken it to the dealership and only managed to convince them to look at it since i bought the platinum warranty. They serviced my seat and it is still uncomfortable with the rumble bars digging into my thighs.

Edit- I also noticed that the passenger seating is so much more comfortable. One of my coworkers even commented that it was like sitting in a recliner. It's very frustrating the lack of support from gm on this issue and knowing that if every alert package didn't require these rumble strips the seats would be way more comfortable.

Edited by Gabtown