Leaking tri-fold tonneau cover

Guys, I mentioned this at other posts and I was attacked by some people. I don't care. I say it again. 

After more than 10 years of having different top of the line covers, I came to the conclusion that all of them leak. You may not notice at the beginning, but eventually, it will come. 

The cargo area is not a rigid structure the way that the cab is. It has no column, roof, or even strong floor to prevent twisting the structure. 

The best way to deal with is forget about the water seal, and not to put valuable tools and other items in there. 

Now you're welcome to attack to me here too ??

• Like 1

I love my cover and they can't have it! Mine is working as designed and I'll not let go of it easily especially since they drilled into the bed to install the damn thing.  

I'd be taking that cover off my truck asap if the latches are defective.. The last thing you need is the liability or the weight on your conscious if the cover flies off on the hwy and injures or kills someone... 

The cover is clamped down towards the front so I don't see it flying off but the first front section I suppose could flip over. However I've had mine where they were both popped (seen after getting out of truck) and didn't see lifting at HWY speeds. Also there is a TSB for changing out the front seal as they say the seal is too firm and puts pressure on the latches and that causes the latches to pop over bumps. I'll try to see if I can find the TSB. It also states to adjust the latches. Also mine doesn't leak. I installed it myself and you do need to make sure its adjusted correctly to seal. I will say mine popped a few times and now that it has warmed up doesn't seem to be doing it...seems the seal is now more pliable which matches the seal replacement TSB. I am sure its just the supplier is waiting for the new seal to be available. 

Edited by Sierra Blues
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 6:20 PM, JeffK1 said:

I was at the dealer today getting my free oil change and again complained about my leaking hard tri-fold tonneau cover. I have had it back twice for this problem. My old Denali had the a hard cover for 6 years and never leaked.  The service writer told me that there is a  Stop Sale order from GM on the cover. It seems they are loaded with problems and don't have a way to fix it.  I asked for my money back on told him to remove it. I got a laugh. I called GM this afternoon and opened a case. I hope someone takes responsibility for this piece of Chinese junk.

Mine too gaps everywhere and leaks like a sieve. For what we paid for them they shouldn't be leaking. 

On 5/1/2019 at 5:05 PM, Imcrazy said:

I'd be taking that cover off my truck asap if the latches are defective.. The last thing you need is the liability or the weight on your conscious if the cover flies off on the hwy and injures or kills someone... 

It really cant fly off its clamped down a midships of the box.

• Like 1

I actually got a call from the dealer that they need me to come in for the recall even though the hard cover was removed before delivery. They need to write up a new work order that it was removed or the recall will never be cleared off my truck or something like that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

I have a 2019 Silverado with the tri fold cover.  Was installed by the dealer, recall was done before I took delivery, I had a rhino liner sprayed in, they removed and replaced during that work.  So far, no leaks since May.  I hand wash.  The only issue has been one of the snaps that holds the folded liner next to the back window won't latch.  Dealer says I have 2nd one they've seen, they are ordering parts.

• 4 months later...

I agree.  Picked up my $62,000 Chev truck 7/31/2019--- tonneau cover leaks.  Had to open a case  ---GM customer service is useless!  Finally convinced dealer to get TAC involved---hahaha.  Gm document PIT42503 -- problem since 2007. Bulletin states "The pickup box is not designed to be sealed completely from dust or moisture intrusion".  In addition GM advises to purchase an aftermarket accessories that helps keep dust/moisture  out  --- at owners expense.