Buying a new Truck for import to europe

Hi,

i want to import a 2014 Silverado 5.3l LTZ to Switzerland. Unfortunately, the authorities require at least a Californian Emissions Tag (this vehicle complies to federal and californian emissions....) to get this truck on the road. I thought nowadays, all the Trucks are the same, and there is no difference between these. But when i found an interesting silverado, the dealer told me that none of the newer trucks outside california comply to the Californian Emissions Law.

Is this true? Do i have to search for a truck in california? Or is there a possibility that some trucks also comply to these regulations? Can anyone outside of California post a Picture of his emissions label?

Greetings

Edited by movario

18 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

I'm fairly certain all of them are CA compliant. Back in the day, they were different, with the CA trucks having smog pumps. That's not a thing anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

They aren't, my truck has Federal emissions since I bought it new here in North Carolina and we don't go by the loony CA emissions requirements. 

• EMISSIONS OVERRIDE, FEDERAL (for vehicles ordered by dealers in Federal emission states with (YF5) or (NE1) emissions - Not required for vehicles being shipped to California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington) (Requires (YF5) California state emissions requirements or (NE1) Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington state emissions requirements.) (NC7)
  • EMISSIONS, CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OREGON, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT AND WASHINGTON STATE REQUIREMENTS (NE1)

Thank you,

i'm trying to get in contact with the sellers.

Other question, i've seen some silverados with a hardtop. Can you detach these from the bed without having marks or holes on the bed?

1 minute ago, jlong1984 said:

They aren't, my truck has Federal emissions since I bought it new here in North Carolina and we don't go by the loony CA emissions requirements. 

• EMISSIONS OVERRIDE,FEDERAL (for vehicles ordered by dealers in Federal emission states with (YF5) or (NE1) emissions - Not required for vehicles being shipped to California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington) (Requires (YF5) California state emissions requirements or (NE1) Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington state emissions requirements.) (NC7)
  • EMISSIONS, CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OREGON, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT AND WASHINGTON STATE REQUIREMENTS (NE1)

Damn, so that means i definitely need one from california, if i don't want to ask every dealer for a picture of the tag. Is there a possibility to find out the Emissions Label with the VIN?

Edited by movario

I'm VERY familiar with this... some manufacturers make 50-state cars and include California emissions sticker. I don't know about Chevrolet but Ford didn't and that caused headaches for those trying to register their new vehicles in California. If it was a used vehicle with more than 7,500 miles, then anybody can register it in California. I am a California resident, I cannot buy new cars out of the state if it doesn't come with the sticker under the hood.

Even if the car is identical and passes emissions, I still cannot register the car in California without that sticker! Before, California used to impose a $300 "smog impact" fee but the feds declared it to be unconstitutional so California simply banned them instead.

And hardtops.. do you mean pick-up shell? Almost all of them can be removed without leaving holes. I don't think I've seen any that required drilling.

2 hours ago, movario said:

And switching the tachometer from mph to kmh should be a doable in the vehicles menu, is this correct?

Yes, there. is a menu option in the driver display between the gauges to change between US and Metric. 

How well will a big American truck work on the roads there? I always heard big American vehicles are kinda big for the roads and cities in Europe. Be sure to slap a big ‘Murcia sticker on it, lol.

3 minutes ago, carsonj493 said:

How well will a big American truck work on the roads there? I always heard big American vehicles are kinda big for the roads and cities in Europe. Be sure to slap a big ‘Murcia sticker on it, lol.

True and then funny!

I live in CA and bought my truck in Texas because ALL of the trucks are CA smog compliant. I bought it in Aug of 2017, shipped it to CA, drove it around for about 500 miles or so so the monitors could start to function and read the cats and sensors, smogged it without trouble, then registered it without trouble. Buying it in Texas saved me an easy 8-9K. I also said that I didn't want to pay any taxes at the time of purchase and then just paid them when I registered it.

get the base Work truck with a 6.2 and 375 gears and 6 speed, the less technology the better .. I've seen the analog gauges on Saudi trucks look different, you might need a different gauge cluster calibrated in Metric system . lol

Edited by flyingfool

12 hours ago, carsonj493 said:

Yes, there. is a menu option in the driver display between the gauges to change between US and Metric. 

Well you just have to pay attention to your driving, and you won't find a parking spot everywhere, but these are not the only problems. The much bigger one is the costs for fuel, as the Gallon costs around 6-7$. Thats the reason why most of the european drive small vehicles with air pumps as engines. But as many countries and cities in europe are already planning to ban vehicles with combustion engines and the individual motor car traffic is nowadays some kind of "worst thing mankind ever created", i thought now is the last moment to get such a truck.

I remember that the 2018 Tahoe i had as a rental last year when i went to Texas was also able to change between metric and US. And as they're basically the same, i hoped that there wouldn't be an issue changing this in the silverado. But i ask the dealer if it really works.