In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Zbass_10

2019 Silverado Blown Engine

Looking for some help.  I have a 2019 Crew Cab LT Trail Boss with 4,600 mi, 5.3 engine.  Blew an oil cooler line a few weeks ago, drove 200ft with the blown line and shut the truck off.  After telling the dealer and tow company not to start it the first thing I hear from the dealer is that the truck was stalling out as they drove it into the shop/moved it and that a nice feature on these new trucks is that the engines don't blow with low oil, they just stall out.  Next day the dealer tells me that it's a blown engine.  I've been telling the dealer for a week now that I want a new truck.  What's a reasonable course of action for the dealer here?  What should I expect as a solution or should I ask for as a solution?  They're currently tearing apart the engine so GM can evaluate what exactly is wrong and do a cost analysis.  

I know in my state you have then keep it for 30 days trying to fix it then file lemon law paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know there are thousands and thousands of trucks sold per week but wow, this problem seems a little more prevalent then normal imo.

I hate to say it zbass but unless this becomes a multiple time to the dealer occurance i dont think lemon laws will work here. Good thing is they are replacing the engine it sounds like, i would refuse any work that is done by a tech inside the motor, the only thing i would accept is a complete crate replacement and also extended coverage on your warranty to give you piece of mind. If you already have an extended warranty they can very easily credit back the full amount and it will be just deducted from your loan principal.

The 1-800 GM call center people can and will give you things like free extended warranties because i have gotten it myself for far less problems than this.

• Like 3

For reference, since I found out the engine was blown I have been vying for a new truck and have said a rebuild is unacceptable.  Replace the truck, buy me out, i don't care just fix it.  I'm logging all conversations as well.  My understanding is that we aren't in a lemon law situation.  

What is the GM call center #?  They don't list anything on their website and Chevrolet has been of little help as well.  All they've done is assign me a rep to oversee the repair of the truck.  

7 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

I know there are thousands and thousands of trucks sold per week but wow, this problem seems a little more prevalent then normal imo.

I hate to say it zbass but unless this becomes a multiple time to the dealer occurance i dont think lemon laws will work here. Good thing is they are replacing the engine it sounds like, i would refuse any work that is done by a tech inside the motor, the only thing i would accept is a complete crate replacement and also extended coverage on your warranty to give you piece of mind. If you already have an extended warranty they can very easily credit back the full amount and it will be just deducted from your loan principal.

The 1-800 GM call center people can and will give you things like free extended warranties because i have gotten it myself for far less problems than this.

I would want a new truck just like the OP does but ^^^this is far more reasonable of an outcome. If you can get a 100k warranty and a new engine you should be "set right"...

I would absolutely not accept them cracking into the engine for a repair....and odds are thats what they will try to do. 

Edited by Chris walker

New engine and an extended warranty is the most reasonable outcome. I know you want a new truck, and I don't blame you, but it's probably not going to happen. 

Lemon law doesn't apply unless it breaks up for the same reason at least three times. The idea of an extensive repair on a brand new car is very unappealing and I would be furious! I doubt you'd get a new truck out of this, but I agree with the above... a new engine and extended warranty is the best way to go unless you're not planning on keeping it for a while. Sorry about that!

I'd want a new truck too, but it wont happen.  Had a rear main seal go out on a 2015 with 500 miles.  All they'll do is fix it.  

Lemon law doesn't apply unless it breaks up for the same reason at least three times. The idea of an extensive repair on a brand new car is very unappealing and I would be furious! I doubt you'd get a new truck out of this, but I agree with the above... a new engine and extended warranty is the best way to go unless you're not planning on keeping it for a while. Sorry about that!

Depends solely by state. Here you have to not be able to drive your car for 30 days, or 3 times for the same severe problem, or one other thing which I forget.

11 minutes ago, Controller23 said:

Depends solely by state. Here you have to not be able to drive your car for 30 days, or 3 times for the same severe problem, or one other thing which I forget.

NC Lemon Law is pretty particular...A new engine and extended warranty would satisfy me as well...

"The North Carolina Lemon Law, also known as the New Motor Vehicles Warranties Act (N.C.G.S. 20-351), applies to new passenger cars, pick-up trucks, motorcycles and most vans bought in North Carolina. It requires manufacturers to repair defects that affect the use, value, or safety of a new motor vehicle within the first 24 months or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first). 

Your car may be covered by the Lemon Law if all of the following have happened:
  • The problem occurs in some part of the vehicle that is covered by the manufacturer's warranty and you are within the warranty period. It does not need to be something that keeps you from being able to drive the car. For example, faulty air conditioning or peeling paint could be considered defects under the Lemon Law.
  • You tell the manufacturer about the problem in writing and give them a reasonable period, but not more than 15 days, to fix it.  
  • The manufacturer makes “a reasonable number of attempts” to fix the vehicle. This means that the car has been repaired for the same problem four or more times, or that it has been out of service a cumulative total of 20 or more business days during a 12 month period of the warranty.  
  • The manufacturers’ efforts to fix the vehicle fail. Under the law, they must either replace your car or buy it back. You get to decide between a comparable new car and a refund."

Zbass,

Check out this thread in the Troubleshooting section.

The warranty likely doesn't say you get a new truck if something fails, it says 'we will repair'.

Lemon laws are typically for multiple attempts to correct a problem without success and if I read it correctly this is the first time in the shop.

I sucks when you own something that requires warranty repair, but that's also why we want to have warranty.

For reference, since I found out the engine was blown I have been vying for a new truck and have said a rebuild is unacceptable.  Replace the truck, buy me out, i don't care just fix it.  I'm logging all conversations as well.  My understanding is that we aren't in a lemon law situation.  

What is the GM call center #?  They don't list anything on their website and Chevrolet has been of little help as well.  All they've done is assign me a rep to oversee the repair of the truck.  
Gm customer care is 1866 790 5600.

Call and get a case number opened. Have customer care representative email your district rep and dealer service manager.

From this point forward you should only be speaking directly with the service manager.

Just put the idea of a new truck out of your mind. They usually only do that if they can't repair it. Like Ford with the freezing door locks on the f150.

Explain your concerns to GM Customer Care rep about long term issues with new motor. Once you truck is repaired to your satisfaction, then ask about Goodwill options. The district rep has authority to request extended warranties, and the gm customer care has separate abilities to grant $500 certificates for service or accessories.

Be super nice to everyone and they will go out of their way to take care of you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Drive the piss out of the loaner truck, get your new motor, maintain your new motor well and enjoy life. Case closed. 

The internals of your motor have no bearing on the externals of your motor (IE the rest of the truck). 

I mean, it sucks it happened for sure. But wanting a new truck, seems way off base to me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Honestly I wouldn't feel so strongly about a new truck if it wasn't for what others have said to me.  I'm also not happy the dealer didn't take the kind of care with the truck they should have.  It's my opinion that it would have just been a blown oil line if they hadn't driven the truck.