GM 8-Speed Transmission Lawsuit Heats Up - Does Yours Shudder?

Gorehamj

Truck has been to the dealer 3 times for the trans just unreal. Did the flush re learn did the reprogram. Obviously the trans is to stupid to learn lol. Still shifts hard clunky bangs stuttering. tired of taking time off to spend at the dealer to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were/are the 6 speeds in the 15's a problem too?
Wondering what's on my horizon as I have a 15' LT crew, 5.3  with 40k on it that seems ok, for now.....

I can't afford problems.

7 hours ago, Delta Hotel said:

Were/are the 6 speeds in the 15's a problem too?
Wondering what's on my horizon as I have a 15' LT crew, 5.3  with 40k on it that seems ok, for now.....

I can't afford problems.

I have a v6 and have the same issue as the v8. 

On 4/29/2019 at 7:54 PM, Boostpatrol said:

Give us the 10 speed. 

The 10-speed is prone to have the exact same issues. The F-150 and Mustang guys have had a horrible time with the transmission. Like the 8L90, when the 10R80 works right, they're a great transmission. When there's an issue, they're a horrible transmission. Both have hard shifts, shudder issues, or straight up transmission failures.

From information available as of the date of this comment, MQE 8-speed will be options used in 2.7 I4's and 5.3 V8 with DFM.

MYC 6-speed will be standard with the same engines under RPO's LV3 and L82 (basic light duty vehicles).

A GM version of the Ford 10 speed has been in use in certain vehicles equipped with 6.2 V8's since 2017, with significant problems beginning to appear.

Beyond slight trim and and option changes, nothing will change in drive-trains for mid-sized trucks until a planned re-design to be introduced in 2022. At that time, a GM light-duty version of the Ford 10 speed MIGHT be an option.

In case you didn't already know, all the TSB's for the 8L90 and 8L45 have been cancelled for vehicles manufactured beyond a specific date (2-16-19 ??). GM now says that "It's fixed", or "There is nothing wrong", or "It's NORMAL". Most dealers won't even look at it unless they see a warning light on the dash or codes readable through the OBD port.

And as of 4-10-19, formulations of transmission fluids continue to be revised.

For anyone purchasing a GM vehicle, in virtually every model transmission you should be prepared for significant transmission problems. And because the problems have become so public, you can expect the resale values of a GM vehicle to be much lower than similar vehicles from other makers. Any way you look at it, you lose.

58 minutes ago, OldChevyNut said:

For anyone purchasing a GM vehicle, in virtually every model transmission you should be prepared for significant transmission problems. And because the problems have become so public, you can expect the resale values of a GM vehicle to be much lower than similar vehicles from other makers. Any way you look at it, you lose.

This is a bit hyperbolic. 

• Like 2

Perhaps I've overstated the truth, but because GM knowingly produced product which included serious functional defects, can facts and truths EVER be truly be overstated when consumers continue to suffer and management continues to bask on sunny beaches ??? I think not ...

1 minute ago, OldChevyNut said:

Perhaps I've overstated the truth, but because GM knowingly produced product which included serious functional defects, can facts and truths EVER be truly be overstated when consumers continue to suffer and management continues to bask on sunny beaches ??? I think not ...

I respect the level of frustration you have, and your feelings towards General Motors perceived lack of interest in truly addressing the 8 speed issues. However, you have to remember that we are a very odd bunch on this forum. Most people who buy the new T1 trucks with 8-speeds are not going to notice any hard shifts, etc. Or if they do, they will not go out of their way to attempt fixing it. 

This is why GM still produce this transmission, even though there are negative experiences with it since they started using it in the K2 trucks years ago. A 2017 K2 has not suffered any decline in value for having an 8-speed vs. a 6-speed. I really doubt the T1s with 8 speeds will either. 

There are reasonably available resources that can be used to estimate past and future vehicle resale value trends. Among them is KBB.com (check it out ?), but I'm sure there are many others because prior to retirement I used them. Since 2017, Silverado has gone from 3rd to 4th, and for many it seems that the product line will continue it's current downward trend as far as vehicle resale value. And for the Colorado/Canyon platform, according to the KBB data, it seems the downward slope is much steeper, especially in 3rd qtr 17.

I got rid of my GM products. And prior to the events of the recent past I would have said to anyone else "decide for yourself", but because I have gained so much objective evidence, I sometimes feel it's appropriate to voice my opinion.

I also personally feel that GM is continuing to produce this transmission because there is such a large percentage of potential buyers that are still willing to purchase marginal or defective product. Perhaps because their dad always had GM's, perhaps their friends like them, maybe because they simply think it looks cool, whatever. But as long as GM can produce marginal or defective products and sell it, they'll have little or no motivation to correct issues.

As a young engineer fresh out of college I once worked for GM, and I enjoyed my tenure with them. However the world has changed, and perhaps I'm unrealistic to expect quality and reliability to be something more than long-forgotten words.

But, to use plain english, I was really pissed when a brand new Canyon couldn't go 1100 miles before the transmission died. So if you know anyone with a low mileage 2011 Lincoln Town Car, let me know and I'll buy it and drive it for another few hundred thousand miles, or maybe more ?

• 2 weeks later...

Man I wish I would of found this site before buying my 18’ 1500 Silverado. I bought the six speed and it’s doing everything the 8 speed has problems with! Is anyone else with a 6 speed experiencing the same problems? I brought it in to the Dealership and they said I had loose U-bolt so they tighten them up! Well it still jerked When I would slow down and sometimes on take off! So again I brought it back in and they told me this time it was a normal thing for my truck to do! Well sometimes it feels like my tranny is gonna fall out form underneath! it feels like I’m getting rear ended at times’ That’s not normal! Only have 10k on it! 

I purchased  a new 2018 Sierra SLT 5.3 8 speed in October I noticed when you first start it up and put in drive the transmission slips and the bangs into gear even if you warm it up first after a couple of shifts it operates as normal. I drove it on my first trip all was well until i exceeded 65 mph then a tight vibration started and got worse the faster I went especially when going up a hill, naturally I thought a tire was out of balance. When I took it to dealer for the first oil change I told them about the vibration so the rotated and re balanced all tires, they replaced 1 tire said it would not balance. I took another 940 mile trip but had the same vibration over 65, took it back to dealer they keep it 2 days and said truck was in GM's acceptable amount of vibration so did nothing. I have taken it back 2 more times still no fix because it's OK to have some vibrations in truck. This is BS! I have had a 1998, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2014, 2016 and now the 2018 and the 8 speed transmission is the only one that had this problem. What is "acceptable vibration" suppose to mean? It feels like a out of balance drive shaft but after researching this problem I find out it's the POS 8 speed. I went to buy a new 2019 Sierra but hated the interior, all were Jet black (ugly) and 2 had Chestnut, I wanted the Cocoa Dune like I have had in my last 2 trucks but it's not available so I bought the 2018 and saved $14K. I love the truck under 65 mph but the vibration is driving me crazy at higher speeds!