Zane

Watch The 2019 Silverado & Sierra Get Built In Ft Wayne

pickuptrucktalk_silveradoplanttour.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor / Publisher, GM-Trucks.com

April 26th, 2019 

Our friend Tim Esterdahl from Pickup Truck and SUV Talk got an awesome chance to tour the Ft Wayne Assembly Plant. That's one of the two plants that produce the 2019 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra. Tim's tour was narrated by GM's Executive Chief Engineer Tim Herrick. Sit back and enjoy this look inside the manufacturing of the all new Silverado and Sierra. And if you like what you see, subscribe to Tim's YouTube Channel

Posted (edited)

They do a great job assembling all the outsourced parts from low-bidder manufacturers! :D

Last time I toured a GM plant was in the early 80's, in Framingham, MA. Was a bad time for automobiles then - really bad quality, slow, ugly, style-less, and stripped models rolling off the line. Was neat to see the processes though. I remember seeing doors as far as the eye could see coming down the line, and watching the unibody units getting completely submerged in what was either paint or, white cleaning / priming liquid there at the time. All 5th-gen A-bodies being built there - awful vehicles.

My dad had worked there in the 60's, when the REAL A bodies were being produced. Things weren't so different business-wise in those days - he told me a story of how GM decided to use a redesigned (read: CHEAPER) window seal in all the cars they were building there. The guys at the end of the line had the once coveted job of sitting in the car while high pressure water got blasted over the vehicles - their job was to check and repair any leaks. Cushy job ... at least until this redesign happened. My dad recalled all those end-line guys walking out of there dripping wet, and cursing up a storm, HAHAHA! GM wisely went back to what worked. 

Anyway, in typical MA fashion, GM wanted to expand the plant, the town balked, and eventually GM closed its doors, packed up, and headed out. Yet another big industry run out of state. Idiots (state of MA). Dukakis era. :sick:  Worst governor in the history of this state, but at least he tried to fight to keep GM's doors open here. Glad I got to see it before it folded.

https://braintree.wickedlocal.com/article/20140801/blogs/308019929

Edited by Jsdirt

Thank you for sharing this.  I found it educational. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RyF
      I replaced these wheels with aftermarket at the 2,000 mile mark. They are like new, as you can see in the pictures. I'm selling them all together (four Denali wheels, the spare, and five Goodyear Wranglers with full tread life). The Wranglers are 265/70R18. The 8x180 lug pattern is for the HDs, but they can be adapted to different lug patterns if you're trying to update an older model truck. 
      They're all beautiful with no curb scuffs or damage of any kind. I'm asking $1,000 for all five, but I'm somewhat flexible on that if you make a solid offer early. You can come pick them up, or I'm willing to ship them if you're willing to pay the shipping. PM me if interested or post publicly if you have any questions that could benefit the group. 

• By ApertureX
      https://www.gmc.com/trucks/choose-your-sierra-heavy-duty-pickup-truck
      Click on the 2020 button in the red if it doesn't show up by default:

• By that modern carpenter
      Hey guys, I'm having a real tough time with my 2013 chevrolet silverado 4.8L V8 the engine is an L20 Vortec. 
      I'm getting all these nasty fault codes and they are intermittent and usually start acting up when I'm driving in the city.
             When the engine is warm and I stop in traffic, or hit a crawl speed. The truck normally kicks into "limp mode" and all these fault codes start up ex. P2544 ( regularly) P150C, P069E, and recently P0700. now there is a list of communication codes, but normally its U0073, U0100, and U0109. 
            I've gone to a few auto shops and they kinda said god luck, The dealer had no idea what i was talking about, started with cleaning all my grounds, as well as my fuses, everything seems to be in order. My brother (who is a mechanic) seems to think my TCM is at fault and not working, but I'm hesitant to call that the problem because Im pretty sure its in my transmission which seems like a fairly big job.
      Everything else runs fine and there is no problems at all when the truck isn't acting up. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm pretty desperate to fix this as I plan on taking it to Alaska in july