In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2015 Yukon Denali suspension ride issues

TLDR version - 2015 Yukon Denali with 20inch wheels and 86k miles.   Great ride initially, font struts replaced 3 times for leaking since 50k and ride quality horrible.

First post after years of learning from the great people on this forum.   Have an early 2015 Yukon Denali which had a lot of the initial growing pains for a new model but nothing major.  Fast forward to just past 50k miles and ride becomes bumpy to almost violent at times.  Dealer replaced front struts which had begun leaking.  Ride improved a little but things like speed bumps would throw everyone side to side as well as parking garages with small imperfections that would bounce you out of your seat at 10mph and lower.  Most of my miles are highway and beltway at speeds between 65 and 75.  This is where the car feels every bump and seems to react side to side rather than up and down.

fast forward to 70k+ and ride has gotten worse.  Took to different dealer who identifies front struts leaking again and replaces them under extended warranty.  Small improvement at highway speeds, but forget about speed bumps or neighborhood roads or driveways with small imperfections.

just hit 86k and have now had the struts fail and replaced for 3rd time since the 50k mark.  Ride quality has not Improved and actually believe the side to side motion is worse after hitting a imperfection or small bump.

Extended warranty expires at 94k at which time I cannot afford to keep replacing $1800 worth of struts every 10-15k.  Reaching out for any suggestions or experiences that might help identify what happened to the ride quality.  The service department is at a loss.

• 1 year later...

Looks like we have similar issues but my mileage and driving pattern is different. I hit 38k and went through my first one that warranty wouldn't cover.  Eventually had to replace all 4.

I don't have the side to side but I feel every road vibration. My passengers don't so I wonder if I am just more sensitive or it is only happening on driver side. 

Did you every find a fix?

• 1 month later...

I have a 2017 GMC Yukon Denali I have experience the rough ride the bumpiness and I kept taking it back and they kept telling me it was tires I said this is more than tires please check this out they finally decided to tell me that the shocks were locking up and $3300 to replace 4 shocks.

after getting on the Internet and find out it's not just the shock but the suspension. GMC has known about this for years. This is an ongoing problem for them. This is an expensive endeavor after paying $70,000 for a car 3 years ago as my retirement car I find it this is totally unacceptable.  not sure, if i want to keep this car. The car is in the shop mow October 2020. Not sure how to handle this one.

As the previous poster mentioned, you can have a brand spankin new ride feeling with shocksims and the struts and shocks of your choice. It will be also be 2000.00 less than replacing with GM parts at the dealer. And the front struts are rated "easy" for the home mechanic to do, that will save you even more $$$

17 minutes ago, Dearmosd said:

ear shocks are just as easy to replace as the front

Well except for the spring compressor which many people don't feel comfortable using on such heavy duty springs.  And if you actually swap the magnetic ride front shocks, the connector can be quite a pain to transfer.

Just now, Dearmosd said:

but very do-able

Oh for sure.  I did one of the fronts myself but the fronts do require a little more skill and care.  The hardest part about the fronts though were the connector and the pick tool!

• 2 months later...

I have a 2015 Yukon XL Denali WITH 22” RIMS!  
Does anyone know if I put the bypass system on for the Magniride, can I put any strut assembly on the vehicle that is acceptable for a Yukon XL SLE or SLT? All of the struts assemblies say exclude magniride and exclude 22 inch rims. I’ll be bypassing the magniride with the bypass kit, but what about my 22 inch rims? Will the struts still work properly?

• 1 month later...

2015 Yukon Denali having same suspension issue as the others posting here. Of course extended warranty won’t cover “shock absorbers”  which I have had replaced as well as struts, although the warranty does not list shocks an excluded item but lists all components of the shock absorbers as covered individually, including struts. Now I’m fighting with the warranty company about getting reimbursed for the $4250 I spent having the suspension repaired. Ive even resorted to printing out the diagrams so I can send them in with my appeal. Has anyone else been able to get warranty to cover their repairs? If so what did you turn into them. I’m getting my damn money back esp after spending 5400 for the warranty. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/26/2019 at 4:05 PM, TXDenali2015 said:

TLDR version - 2015 Yukon Denali with 20inch wheels and 86k miles.   Great ride initially, font struts replaced 3 times for leaking since 50k and ride quality horrible.

First post after years of learning from the great people on this forum.   Have an early 2015 Yukon Denali which had a lot of the initial growing pains for a new model but nothing major.  Fast forward to just past 50k miles and ride becomes bumpy to almost violent at times.  Dealer replaced front struts which had begun leaking.  Ride improved a little but things like speed bumps would throw everyone side to side as well as parking garages with small imperfections that would bounce you out of your seat at 10mph and lower.  Most of my miles are highway and beltway at speeds between 65 and 75.  This is where the car feels every bump and seems to react side to side rather than up and down.

fast forward to 70k+ and ride has gotten worse.  Took to different dealer who identifies front struts leaking again and replaces them under extended warranty.  Small improvement at highway speeds, but forget about speed bumps or neighborhood roads or driveways with small imperfections.

just hit 86k and have now had the struts fail and replaced for 3rd time since the 50k mark.  Ride quality has not Improved and actually believe the side to side motion is worse after hitting a imperfection or small bump.

Extended warranty expires at 94k at which time I cannot afford to keep replacing $1800 worth of struts every 10-15k.  Reaching out for any suggestions or experiences that might help identify what happened to the ride quality.  The service department is at a loss.