In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Dented Rear Bumper, can it be fixed?

Thanks for the terrible driving skills of our mail delivery girl I was distracted by her almost hitting my wife's car while I was moving my truck to let her turn around and  I smacked the interior wall of my garage at about 2mph with the Silverado... Kinda tough to see from the pics but, it pushed the bumper in pretty good and either ballooned  the metal out on the top or just the distortion of the bumper being pushed in is causing the plastic to push up... Should I bother taking it to a body shop/PDR place for a quote or should I just try to find a used bumper and swap it out??

Thx for looking...

IMG-3142.JPG

IMG-3139.JPG

Google bumper man inc and see if there is a guy in your area. Look at the before & after pics on their site. Everyone always says chrome bumpers can’t be straightened but apparently somebody figured out how to. I haven’t used them so can’t speak from personal experience but I would give them chance if I ever needed to.

If the repair does not work out, there are many new take off's out there for various reasons.

I have a 1500lb tommy gate on my truck, they were going to "trash" the bumper and tailgate,,,,, when I asked for the bumper and the tailgate they were surprised, I figured it was a no brainer to grab the gate and bumper, I paid for it.

Can try www.car-part.com if local craigslist does not work out.

Thanks for the insight guys! It is very tough to see in the pics.. I am anal as hell about my truck, I don't mind honest wear but, I'm not going to be happy running around with unrepaired accident damage..  I've checked out CL will try car-part.com one of the ironic issues I am up against is that my truck has backup sensors, lots of good those did me!!!!! I wonder if I can just unplug them and get a regular bumper??? They're almost useless IMO

9 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

Google bumper man inc and see if there is a guy in your area. Look at the before & after pics on their site. Everyone always says chrome bumpers can’t be straightened but apparently somebody figured out how to. I haven’t used them so can’t speak from personal experience but I would give them chance if I ever needed to.

https://www.bumperman.com/

Looks like they do have one in my area... It seems like they only deal with dealers but, I'll call and find out what the scoop is this week...

Thanks for the tip.

Edited by Imcrazy
Does anybody know, if I need to remove the entire bumper or can I remove the chrome cover part only?
Entire bumper assembly. Its a chore and likely 10 times easier/ cheaper to just find another. Or if you had another laying around to swap.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Just now, Snowcamo said:

Entire bumper assembly. Its a chore and likely 10 times easier/ cheaper to just find another. Or if you had another laying around to swap.

Thanks, good to know... I'll see what this bumper man place says, I watched a video on removing the bumper yesterday and it looks kinda like a PITA....Plus the cheapest bumper I can find so far is $408 shipped...

Thanks, good to know... I'll see what this bumper man place says, I watched a video on removing the bumper yesterday and it looks kinda like a PITA....Plus the cheapest bumper I can find so far is $408 shipped...
Totally understand. Thats the lowest going rate for a 1500 rear bumper w/ sensor holes in excellent condition around here. Are you in Texas? I could help out.

Just now, Snowcamo said:

Totally understand. Thats the lowest going rate for a 1500 rear bumper w/ sensor holes in excellent condition around here. Are you in Texas? I could help out.

Appreciate the offer and info, I'm way up in Ohio!

Appreciate the offer and info, I'm way up in Ohio!
Ah. No prob. Keep an eye out on Craigslist and local sites as you can sometimes find and offer $300. I know the repair can be done as I was offered a few repaired rear bumpers in my search for chrome bumpers when i was in that boat.

• Like 1