lawn striping kit for mowers?

I've been doing quite the yard renovation over the last year that we've been here.  I want to get a lawn striper for my 42" Husqvarna riding mower, but I don't want to pay that ridiculous price.  I was looking at the checkmate one from bigleaguelawns and want to make a clone for a fraction of the cost. Does anyone have one and are they worth it?  There's tons of youtube videos, but none really say if they're a waste of money or not.

Strut is super free if you have any electrican friends, its thrown out daily at every job site.

Then I would do some measurements on RC car wheels? 

Looks like a great idea. Might have to try this one out.

5cc7c3a032ba4_Screenshot_20190429-233750_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.50514ded72028c7413769de5257ecc30.jpg

• Like 1

The striper relies on weight. RC car wheels will be too light and I always stripped out the plastic hexes on them anyways. Lol. Plastic isn’t strong at all. Solid rubber will be the way to go. I want to make mine 35-36” and it should weight almost 30-40lbs to properly fold the grass over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone wants to build their own...  https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/ultimate-home-made-lawn-striper.192602/

I bought 12 wobble roller wheels directly from Yates for $83 shipped.  I went to Lowe's and bought the superstrut, cone nuts and brackets.  Tractor supply had the 5/8" steel rod for the axle, machine bushings(washers) and some clevis pins.  I need to go today and get some 5/8" PVC to use as spacers between the wheels, but it's coming along nicely, and at a fraction of the cost for the name brand wheel roller.

Edited by txab

24 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

Looks great.  I can’t believe I’ve never heard of lawn striping.  So you just drag that thing in the pic behind the lawnmower?

Yup. It’s about 50-60 lbs so the weight will push the grass down behind the mower. 

1 hour ago, tbarn said:

Looks great. Maybe you should help your neighbor with his lawn.

Lol. He’ll get there. They replaced their septic last year and just got the ground leveled out and seed down. It’ll never be as good as mine though. ?. Have to maintain it with fertilizer and other things. I’ll be getting a new septic in a month or so, so my yard will be all torn up too. 

5e03c03e69a8abc05c35a3c25b7cf386.jpg

935657e24cfebdb0c896cdadcc9881e0.jpg

I used some Scott’s turf builder in mid spring to help with the thicker grass. Last year was a scalp, dethatched and overseed with good seed. It’s a lot thicker and darker than it was last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thinking about making one of these. What is the outside dimension of your rear wheels? What size is your mower deck? Would I need it as wide as the rear wheel width? IE 11 wheels in your case. I would think 9 would have worked  maybe?