Jingle jingle underneath only in 2wd

Hey there,

I have what can best be described as a constant jingle under the truck- usually once it’s good and warmed up. Sounds like metal tapping together. Once I put the truck in Auto4wd or 4wd it “clinks” once and stops completely. Put it back in 2wd and it starts again.  I have a Z71 so it’s the 2sp transfer case. 

I know somebody else was taking theirs in for this- anybody?

I know I saw it mentioned somewhere but I can’t find it and now this is driving me nuts. Before I go back to the dealer and get “could not replicate noise” I want to know if anybody knows what’s causing it to help the dealer along...

Edited by Limelight

So I crawled under there today and I think I found the source of the noise.

The drivers side CV shaft has a lot of play where it plugs into the front diff. I’m guessing I can move it in and out about 1/8 inch or more.  When I do this quickly I can here the bell/jingle metal on metal sound.  The passenger side CV is tight with really zero play or movement. 

I guess when the CV driveshaft is engaged in auto 4wd or 4wd the slop is somehow tightened up by the torque transfer, I dunno. 

Anybody care to check theirs?  Any issues like this in past generations?

Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I have this issue as well.  Mine sounds like a cricket It started around 700 miles and is EXACTLY as you described it. Mine has been back to the Dealer so many times now I started a buy back Lemon law claim on it. Finally GM is changing out a new front differential that will be installed next week but im not 100% sure thats going to fix it. I will report back here once the work is done.

Edited by ILSilverado
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ILSilverado said:

So, I have this issue as well.  Mine sounds like a cricket It started around 700 miles and is EXACTLY as you described it. Mine has been back to the Dealer so many times now I started a buy back Lemon law claim on it. Finally GM is changing out a new front differential that will be installed next week but im not 100% sure thats going to fix it. I will report back here once the work is done.

Show them this video. I think it’s the sound.  If you listen closely beyond the louder click sound you can hear the metal ringing like a bell. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/8GuHi5t

Edited by Limelight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been dealing with this since 2k, I now have almost 8k. The trucks been to the dealer 6 times and they finally “replicated the noise”. My truck is at the dealer now for a front transfer case change, and maybe differential. I will let you know what they replace, and if it corrected it. There’s a thread here that someone said they greased the rubber boot heavily and the noise went away, not sure that would  be a permanent fix. 

3 hours ago, ILSilverado said:

I agree I do hear that bell tone. Is that  shaft coming out of the front differential? 

Yes, The Driver's side has all that play in it.  The Passenger side has zero play- maybe a tiny, tiny bit but that's it.

4 hours ago, Nino351 said:

Been dealing with this since 2k, I now have almost 8k. The trucks been to the dealer 6 times and they finally “replicated the noise”. My truck is at the dealer now for a front transfer case change, and maybe differential. I will let you know what they replace, and if it corrected it. There’s a thread here that someone said they greased the rubber boot heavily and the noise went away, not sure that would  be a permanent fix. 

Dealer tried this with mine twice with no luck.

2 hours ago, Limelight said:

Yes, The Driver's side has all that play in it.  The Passenger side has zero play- maybe a tiny, tiny bit but that's it.

Ok then it would seem like replacing the front diff will do the trick. GM is sending a power train engineer from Warren Michigan along with the new front differential to my dealer to supervise the whole thing. This should happen later this week. When was your truck built by chance October? I will keep yall posted.

Just now, Nino351 said:

Darn. The grease fix or transfer case replacement ?

Grease. I don't think its the transfer case because the sound seems to be coming right out of the drivers wheel housing area and that would be closest to the differential.

3 minutes ago, ILSilverado said:

Ok then it would seem like replacing the front diff will do the trick. GM is sending a power train engineer from Warren Michigan along with the new front differential to my dealer to supervise the whole thing. This should happen later this week. When was your truck built by chance October? I will keep yall posted.

Mine was built 9/18. Thanks for keeping us posted!