DIY maintenance and warranty.

Hi, 

I got into a new 2018 sierra last month and love the truck.  

My dealer said I get 2 free oil changes in 2 years with the purchase and after that it's about 100 bucks a service.  

This is my first new truck, I'm coming from a 2010 nissan frontier that I kept on the road doing my own maintenance and repair.  Never had a major issue but it was also a very easy truck to work on aside from reaching the spark plugs.  Just mobil 1 and a filter every 5k miles then coolant, trans and brakes when those were called for. 

Does GM honor the warranty if you do your own oil?   What kind of documentation do they ask for ?  Is it worth the hassle?    I figure I'd save at least 50 bucks a change doing my own oil and that can really add up given how long I keep my cars.  

I read that they discourage you doing your own transmission fluid, so fine. I'll take it in but  Oil is too simple to let someone else do it for double the money. 

Dealer also warned me to not modify the truck which I thought was arrogant.  so one more question,  anyone know a good dealer in or near rockland county NY?   I don't mind a drive for a good experience. 

• Like 2

you may change your own oil or any maintenance , that's never been a GM issue. transmission are filled from underneath unless you know how to fill them I'd say steer clear, but its the best way to fill and correct the fluid perfectly, its old concept now.  No documentation is needed for oil changes but you can fill it our online under the GMC site under your service/maintenance if you choose. Engine oil life sensors have improved forget the 5k mile and go by the cluster life, however I would change the oil much sooner than 5K on the first 2 oil changes as you are still on factory oil. GM does a cold test of every engine, but you will still have lots of metal shaves change it soon on the first 2 changes. 

First thing your should do  is get PPF paint protection film ASAP, DO NOT WAIT call, install, and drive! otherwise you will regret it.

I did PPF on my entire front end full hood, full fenders, bumper, mirror caps,  you cant even tell its installed. The typical 12 inch over the fenders and hood is not enough anymore. 

Edited by camcamaro1991

25 minutes ago, camcamaro1991 said:

No documentation is needed for oil changes but you can fill it our online under the GMC site under your service/maintenance if you choose.

yes, use the free "my Chevrolet"/"my GMC" website.

You can view any dealer maintenance on there and add your own if you do it at home. I just changed my oil and my wife's Terrain last week and input the dates and mileage on the website. If there is any dispute at least there is a record of when I did it.

35 minutes ago, camcamaro1991 said:

absolutely awful (its not just a GM, all manufactures) water based paint chips/flakes so easy. I would never buy a new truck and not add PPF. 

Yup, I didn't heed the advice like this^^^^ At least I got the front chrome bumper!  the rest of my nose looks like it has been pepper sprayed.  The water based paint is that easy to chip my friend.

I got tired of the constant use of touch up paint after trips. I made a cardboard template and brought spray touch up paint. Takes just minutes to cover paint chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per the FTC

“The Warranty Act prohibits warrantors of consumer products costing more than five dollars from conditioning their written warranties on a consumer’s use of any article or service which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name, unless provided to the consumer for free or the warrantor has been granted a waiver by the Commission.”

Dealers often use or imply warranty denial as leverage to exclude the sale of competitors parts or lubes to ensure more business for themselves.  This is against the law. Those are mob tacics.

Edited by elcamino

Not sure of good dealers in that part of NY but if you like the 1 hour drive I use Ingersoll Auto in Pawling (Dutchess) and Danbury Ct and they always have a promotion of oil change and tire rotation for around $50 for my truck with coupon (available on their website). If you dont mind the drive also to Healy Chevrolet in Middletown i hear they are a good dealership.

15 hours ago, elcamino said:

per the FTC

“The Warranty Act prohibits warrantors of consumer products costing more than five dollars from conditioning their written warranties on a consumer’s use of any article or service which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name, unless provided to the consumer for free or the warrantor has been granted a waiver by the Commission.”

Dealers often use or imply warranty denial as leverage to exclude the sale of competitors parts or lubes to ensure more business for themselves.  This is against the law. Those are mob tacics.

Yeah, the Federal Trade Commission and the MM Warranty Act of 1975 is quite clear.  As long as the owner can show the services or repairs were done, and that what was used for the service or repair meets the specifications of the manufacturer, then the OEM has to honor the warranty.  So one does not have to use a particular brand of oil or part or even the OEM shop.  

And per the MM Warranty Act, the burden of proof is on the OEM to show that the oil or part or incompetence by whoever did the service or repair is at fault.  They can't just make blanket accusations without proof.  Oh they sure may try, but that would be a violation of the Warranty Act.

Keep in mind, no maker of any vehicle is forced to offer a warranty except in regards to emissions stuff per the EPA.  If they don't want the hassles of honoring a warranty, then just don't offer a warranty. Simple.  Now we know that is unrealistic, so the OEM is going to offer a vehicle warranty, and by doing so, they have to comply with the MM Warranty Act.   They don't get to make up the rules as they go along.  They just play on the ignorance of these things by the consumer.

Edited by Cowpie

Just had my first free oil change...only because it was free.  They took forever (even though I got there at 7am and they were not busy at all).  I could have done it in less time, so even at the same cost I would still do it myself, simply because I would spend less time and be able to do it on my schedule rather than theirs.