DIY maintenance and warranty.

22 hours ago, num said:

Hi, 

I got into a new 2018 sierra last month and love the truck.  

My dealer said I get 2 free oil changes in 2 years with the purchase and after that it's about 100 bucks a service.  

This is my first new truck, I'm coming from a 2010 nissan frontier that I kept on the road doing my own maintenance and repair.  Never had a major issue but it was also a very easy truck to work on aside from reaching the spark plugs.  Just mobil 1 and a filter every 5k miles then coolant, trans and brakes when those were called for. 

Just a heads up.  Not sure what oil the Nissan used but the oil in these trucks is thinner than water.  The oil pan can projectile vomit this stuff a good foot to a foot and a half. 

I learned the hard way and took a bath the first time I changed the oil in my 2014. 

If you're going to change your own oil, install a Fumoto valve and save yourself a lot of time and headaches.

When I did my first "free" change it took hours. I only did it becuase it was free. (Actually it was my 2nd, because I did the first at 300 miles). The ONLY reason I had them do the 2nd "free" change was becuase I had it there for warranty work. 

No one except me will ever touch any fluids in this truck again. unless the tranny is 100% NON serviceable at home. 

To add, the first "free" oil change was over-filled by about 45 oz. I found this about an hour before I was leaving for a long trip and I happened to be at work where we have a lift. but only thing i had to drain into at the time was a XL gas station cup, that I filled up and had to start on a second one.

2nd "free" change was filled right to the top line, so i'm ok with that one. 

Just make sure to record your services in the Notes section in your Owners manual. I always include date, mileage and engine hours, services performed (front end check, oil change, tire rotation, right upper ball joint replacement, brakes etc.), include the type of oil and filter (ex. Mobile One 5w20 Dexos Synthetic, to cover your ass). That way if something did happen, you always have proof of your records for the dealer, or worse, court. 

I personally have the dealer do my service work nowadays, other than the 24 mile trip to dealer it's about same price as doing it myself plus I don't have to crawl around under truck bumping my head, getting dirt in eyes and oil all over. If you do it yourself be sure and keep all receipts for fluids and filters, just writing it down or recording it online doesn't prove that you actually did it if GM wanted to be difficult  on warranty issues.

1 hour ago, Booger T said:

I personally have the dealer do my service work nowadays, other than the 24 mile trip to dealer it's about same price as doing it myself 

That is total BS that it is the same cost.  Not even close.  I can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil One 0W20 for $22.  Hell, I can get all the material for about 1/2 of what the dealer charges and not pay any labor.  Your 24 mile trip likely takes 30 minutes at least, so an hour drive time + time wasted there.  Time is worth something too.

I actually should go out to my truck and ensure the level is right.  Once my freebie is up I will only go to the dealer for warranty work.  Oh, and I'll probably complain about the tranny to get a flush with the new fluid for free at the next oil change, which will also extend my next service interval out for it. :)

Some of your quick lube centers ( the name brands) buy in bulk. You basically pay labor, which isn’t much. I have a couple older cars I take to one I’ve been using for years and deal with the owner. The newer one are still under warranty I take to the dealer. My old ass ain’t jacking up a car and crawl under to save a couple dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

That is total BS that it is the same cost.  Not even close.  I can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil One 0W20 for $22.  Hell, I can get all the material for about 1/2 of what the dealer charges and not pay any labor.  Your 24 mile trip likely takes 30 minutes at least, so an hour drive time + time wasted there.  Time is worth something too.

I actually should go out to my truck and ensure the level is right.  Once my freebie is up I will only go to the dealer for warranty work.  Oh, and I'll probably complain about the tranny to get a flush with the new fluid for free at the next oil change, which will also extend my next service interval out for it. :)

Didn't say that it was the same price, I said it was close, plus it includes tire rotation. Normally get coupons from dealer in the back of the new roads magazine. I'm retired so my time is whatever I want it to be so go spread your BS somewhere else!

7 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Just make sure to record your services in the Notes section in your Owners manual. I always include date, mileage and engine hours, services performed (front end check, oil change, tire rotation, right upper ball joint replacement, brakes etc.), include the type of oil and filter (ex. Mobile One 5w20 Dexos Synthetic, to cover your ass). That way if something did happen, you always have proof of your records for the dealer, or worse, court. 

I keep all the service records that I do online at the My Chevrolet site.  Very quick and easy to do and even a service department can see the records if they want to.  I don't try and keep paper records anymore, even in a manual.  All service records for my 2015 2500, 2017 Equinox, and 2006 Cadillac CTS are all online at GM.  Can even get a printout anytime I want.

I really have no desire to have a dealer touch my vehicles once I take them off the lot.  In almost a half century, I have never had a dealer or OEM, both personal vehicles and commercial, ever ask for record of services.  The only reason I can think of them wanting proof is if the motor oil looked like axle grease.  I can see using a dealer if it is the best value for a major repair.  Basic fluid services and such.... no way for me.   Many times, the guy doing the service is less experienced than I am and doesn't have the same motivation to do a thorough inspection of the underside like I do.  And I would much  rather grease the fittings manually and checking pressure on the boots to get a proper greasing of the fittings.  Again, there is no motivation by a $12 and hour junior employee to exhibit as much attention to detail.  

Each person has to decide for themselves what works best for them.  

The warranty is the least of my concerns when it comes to who is doing the servicing of my vehicles that are in warranty.  The Federal Trade Commission and the MM Warranty Act of 1975 have my back.  There is no mandate that an OEM even provide a warranty. If they don't want to honor a warranty, then don't offer a warranty! Simple.   But that is not practical so they will offer a warranty, and if they do, they have to comply with the MM Warranty Act.  The OEM doesn't get to change the rules to fit their desires.   And it clearly states the OEM cannot  dictate who does servicing or repairs.   As long as I can show the service or repair was done, and what was used meets the specifications, the burden of proof is on the dealer or OEM to prove what was done caused the warranty problem.    I have had warranty work done in the past and I have never had a dealer or OEM even question anything about services and repairs.

I don't think people need to be paranoid about such things.  Diligent, but not paranoid.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

For those who don’t want to use the gym website, or you have multiple vehicles/equipment that are not GM, save yourself the hassle of tryjng to paper document everything. Use your phone to log all over your maintenance with pictures. Create an album for each of your machines. Every time i do some maintenance I take a picture of the parts and the mileage. I right a brief description with all of the pertinent details. That way I have part numbers, time stamps, mileage and proof of proper intervals. It also helps when trying to remember all the specific things that pertain to each vehicle/machine. For example, when you are at the parts store and you are trying to remember the random oil filter number for tractor #3 or which fuel/water separator you use on your boat you can just reference your phone. I also don’t have to look up which weight oil to use again and again. This saves time, let’s face it, I can’t keep all of this stuff straight anymore. I used to be able to use the same filter # and 5w-30 on all of my vehicles. Now each one is unique and over complicated.

Just some examples above, capacities, weights and part numbers are easier to keep track of. Also be sure to back your photos up to the cloud. Everything will be permanently logged for life! No more looking for that pad of paper or book you diligently remembered to fill out but forgot where you put it. [emoji3]