Chevy cheapin out on some stuff...

Has anyone else moving from the last generation noticed that there seems to be a lot of little things Chevy has omitted to nickel and dime their costs down?  Some annoying things -- I know some of these are options, but seem like they still should be there in my Silverado 2019 LT vs similarly optioned 2017 LT.

Stuff my 2019 is missing vs my 2017:

- seat belt shoulder height adjust

- overhead glasses compartment -- this one is annoying the heck out of me nowhere to put my shades

- drop down cubby under control stack where ashtray would traditionally go (on bench seat model)

- cubby in the door panel under the handle (argh now nice need to find a new spot to keep my pens)

- no fog lights -- obviously an option but I was surprised when I got home and didn't have them, they seem to be up-trim options now

- rear wheel liners - again an option but seems like it has been moved up-trim

- single speed 4wd transfer case w/ available 2-speed, instead of the 2-speed being standard

I think there may be some more... seems like every time I turn around I'm missing something I had on my 2017.

Otherwise, love the new truck though!  Many improvements over the 2017, but there are already plenty of those threads around.

16 minutes ago, scdaren said:

I think there may be some more... seems like every time I turn around I'm missing something I had on my 2017.

Otherwise, love the new truck though!  Many improvements over the 2017, but there are already plenty of those threads around.

Congrats on the new truck!

There’s plenty of these threads around too. Seems like most of them actually devolve into this. :P

You can go through any generation of any vehicle and things are added and discarded. 

I agree on some of the stuff, especially the transfer case. The rest of it is just not a concern of mine personally although I understand where some might come from. From my 16, I don’t miss the adjustable belts (never used), pedals (never had) or the overhead sunglass holder that couldn’t fit a single pair of my Costa’s anyway..

19 minutes ago, ducklawyer said:

I’m in an 18 but was very surprised that I couldn’t rewind the radio like I could on my 14. Is that an option in the 19s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, that’s been gone since ‘16. Presumably to make way for CarPlay and Android Auto.

• Like 1

Oh... and no CD player.  Ram's been doing that for some time now, my 2014 Laramie came without one, but I had it on my 2017 Silverado.

Not that I ever used it anyway though.  Streaming is just better.  The CD wallet hanging on the visor is so 2008.

Edited by scdaren

3 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

I can't believe they didn't put a cigarette lighter and a cassette player in this truck. I mean look how awesome the previous generations were.

32-1985-chevrolet-c10-interior-revamp-da

?????????????

At least the T1 still has the column shifter! That’s one feature they didn’t cheap out on! ?

OP, I agree with you. I like my RST a lot, but there’s some cost cutting and margin padding in the 2019 model changes for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, econometrics said:

At least the T1 still has the column shifter! That’s one feature they didn’t cheap out on! ?

OP, I agree with you. I like my RST a lot, but there’s some cost cutting and margin padding in the 2019 model changes for sure.

Yes they definitely padded their margins with the 2019 design. I'm guessing they knew that with the timing of the truck's release, they knew that Ford would be offering massive discounts on the F-150 since it's been around a while, and Ram being Ram, were already planning on huge discounts from the start. So GM trims a little extra off the truck, raises prices even though they claimed base prices were all lower than the 2018 trucks, and then trickle out incentives as gradually as possible.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:34 PM, scdaren said:

Has anyone else moving from the last generation noticed that there seems to be a lot of little things Chevy has omitted to nickel and dime their costs down?  Some annoying things -- I know some of these are options, but seem like they still should be there in my Silverado 2019 LT vs similarly optioned 2017 LT.

Stuff my 2019 is missing vs my 2017:

- seat belt shoulder height adjust

THIS.  Huge offender for me IMO.

- overhead glasses compartment -- this one is annoying the heck out of me nowhere to put my shades

- drop down cubby under control stack where ashtray would traditionally go (on bench seat model)

- cubby in the door panel under the handle (argh now nice need to find a new spot to keep my pens)

- no fog lights -- obviously an option but I was surprised when I got home and didn't have them, they seem to be up-trim options now

You can do them as an accessory now.  84125494 without the front mirror task lights, 84280752 with the task lights.  RST and higher they are standard. 

- rear wheel liners - again an option but seems like it has been moved up-trim

Can do as an accessory, otherwise they are only bundled in the bed protection package with the spray on bed liner.

- single speed 4wd transfer case w/ available 2-speed, instead of the 2-speed being standard

Z71 only this time around. 

I have had passengers complain about the seat beat anchor points in the back seats. Also, my short 5'4" wife wishes there was an "oh shit" handle above the window. The entry grab handle is too far forward and if she moved the seat forward to reach it, someone could probably squeeze behind the seat from the door. ???

10 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

Yes they definitely padded their margins with the 2019 design. I'm guessing they knew that with the timing of the truck's release, they knew that Ford would be offering massive discounts on the F-150 since it's been around a while, and Ram being Ram, were already planning on huge discounts from the start. So GM trims a little extra off the truck, raises prices even though they claimed base prices were all lower than the 2018 trucks, and then trickle out incentives as gradually as possible.

I think it's just plain nickel and diming. Every time I shop for trucks I look at all 3.  I'm not a Chevy guy, probably a Ram guy if anything and I like Fords too. Every single time I've shopped the F-150, for the similar trim and feature set, they are 5 to 10 thousand more, regardless of rebates. With Chevy seems like you can always find one with a $10k discount, and I did on my new truck even with 2018s still on the lots. 

Rams I've seen the discounts come and go, but they certainly have them right now, about $10k off, like the Chevy. Their interiors absolutely crush the Chevy ones, especially in this new gen. They are adding handy little things, while Chevy is taking them away. Chevy is going to lose people to Ram this time around, just look through a lot of the reviews. Really nice trucks. BUT the last one I owned was in the shop constantly, so many problems. I just can't be doing that with how much I'm driving. Which is all in all what put me in another Silverado.

17 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

I can't believe they didn't put a cigarette lighter and a cassette player in this truck. I mean look how awesome the previous generations were.

32-1985-chevrolet-c10-interior-revamp-da

?????????????

Wonderfully simple and functional. Best part of this one is....it's still around.....will the 19 when it's this old? Hardly. 

Give the 2019 two years and you will be throwing it under the buss too. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear