noise from roof - pop

I’m at 3000 miles and I noticed that it comes from the long trim piece around the tail light on the roof that goes all the way across from door to door . I have the 2019 Chevy custom. And it happens when it’s been out in the heat and when I make sharp turns or over a bumpy road. Not so much in the morning when it’s cool l. It  only happened a little at first but has gotten worse. Almost like the plastic clips underneath the trim strip are flexing. If you push down on it. You can re-create the sound.  Mine is a double cab 

Edited by Rkkiz

Hadn't seen if anyone with a double cab had posted yet but mine does a little pop now and then too so I figured I'd mention it's not limited to the CC. Doesn't bother me though. In my wife's 2016 RAV4 we traded a few months ago, you could literally hear the whole unibody creaking and popping when going over un-even pavement or dips. It seriously sounded like every joint and weld was gonna break loose lol.

Edited by batman900

38 minutes ago, batman900 said:

Hadn't seen if anyone with a double cab had posted yet but mine does a little pop now and then too so I figured I'd mention it's not limited to the CC. Doesn't bother me though. In my wife's 2016 RAV4 we traded a few months ago, you could literally hear the whole unibody creaking and popping when going over un-even pavement or dips. It seriously sounded like every joint and weld was gonna break loose lol.

Never had that on my double cab, even on really hot days in the Sun. But when waxing the top, that roof metal is mighty thin and can easily be popped in if too much pressure is applied.....situation would be worse with the larger surface area of a crew cab. Might have something to do with the fact that many of the formerly steel panels have been replaced with aluminum.....maybe working like the biometal strip in a thermostat and dissimilar expansion rates under heat cause a creep or pop.

14 hours ago, Rkkiz said:

I’m at 3000 miles and I noticed that it comes from the long trim piece around the tail light on the roof that goes all the way across from door to door . I have the 2019 Chevy custom. And it happens when it’s been out in the heat and when I make sharp turns or over a bumpy road. Not so much in the morning when it’s cool l. It  only happened a little at first but has gotten worse. Almost like the plastic clips underneath the trim strip are flexing. If you push down on it. You can re-create the sound.  

I've got a sunroof and I DO have the same popping.  I kept thinking an acorn or something dropping out of trees hit it, but then its happened several times with no trees around.  I can live with it, but I sure would like to know what it is.  The noise behind the back seat drives me crazy.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:57 AM, DirkDiggler84 said:

Anyone getting a popping noise from their roof?  Every morning when I pull out of my garage and go over a slightly angled transition between my driveway and the street I get a popping from the roof.  I've heard it several other times when driving at low speed as well.  It sounds like the sheet metal is flexing, like if you were to slightly indent a piece of sheet metal, it slightly indents and then you push it in another spot and it pops out of that indent.  I have gotten a very similar noise from the lid on my washing machine.  I do not have a sunroof.

Yes, was figuring it just needs a break-in period.  Doesn't bother me that much...

Edited by BobbyAlton

On 8/24/2019 at 8:59 AM, Thomcat said:

Never had that on my double cab, even on really hot days in the Sun. But when waxing the top, that roof metal is mighty thin and can easily be popped in if too much pressure is applied.....situation would be worse with the larger surface area of a crew cab. Might have something to do with the fact that many of the formerly steel panels have been replaced with aluminum.....maybe working like the biometal strip in a thermostat and dissimilar expansion rates under heat cause a creep or pop.

So much for hasn't happened so far, pulled from the shade into the hot Sun and heard a pop.

• 2 weeks later...
I have only heard the popping sound while washing my truck not while driving. When I spray water on the roof I do sometimes hear a loud "popping" noise.

Same here...noticed the same thing the other day it the touchless car wash. Coincidentally on my way to the dealer for an unrelated item. Dealer says it’s likely roof sheet metal flexing. Going to see if it happens more frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk