Brand New 2300 Mile '18 Sierra 6.2 Dies While Towing

38 minutes ago, Colossus said:

Just remember- Loyalty means nothing in this day and age to most companies. 

I think this cuts both ways really. Most consumers aren't very loyal anymore either. Chasing the lowest price from wherever they can. We're making it so that loyalty isn't rewarded as it used to be......at least not without documentation. Join a loyalty program or frequent flyer program and that flips the other way around usually.

Just bought a cover for our boat. Tried to get it from the dealer first, but was $250 more expensive, and he didn't have the room to come down on it any further. He flat out told me to buy it online to save the cash. Comments like that will get him my service money every single time. I can tell he's looking out for me, as well as making sure he isn't chasing sales just for the sake of sales. 

My first interaction with the local Chevy/GMC dealer is shaping up similarly. Hoping it continues down this same path.

21 minutes ago, 2kwik4u said:

I think this cuts both ways really. Most consumers aren't very loyal anymore either. Chasing the lowest price from wherever they can. We're making it so that loyalty isn't rewarded as it used to be......at least not without documentation. Join a loyalty program or frequent flyer program and that flips the other way around usually.

Just bought a cover for our boat. Tried to get it from the dealer first, but was $250 more expensive, and he didn't have the room to come down on it any further. He flat out told me to buy it online to save the cash. Comments like that will get him my service money every single time. I can tell he's looking out for me, as well as making sure he isn't chasing sales just for the sake of sales. 

My first interaction with the local Chevy/GMC dealer is shaping up similarly. Hoping it continues down this same path.

This is interesting. I am having a mooring cover made for our boat and that is why I was getting it out of storage.

Just now, DP121 said:

This is interesting. I am having a mooring cover made for our boat and that is why I was getting it out of storage.

We have a little 19ft Yamaha, so we just bought a stock cover. Also only weighs about 4k lbs, so not as much of a tow as your larger boat.

1 hour ago, 2kwik4u said:

Ugh. That part sucks. If it isn't working by vacation time I would be standing on someones desk to give me a demo truck off the lot to tow the camper on vacation with.

If the dealer was smart they would loan him a 2500 Duramax for his boat tow vacation in hopes of a big dollar trade.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, garagerog said:

If the dealer was smart they would loan him a 2500 Duramax for his boat tow vacation in hopes of a big dollar trade.

Hopefully they will get it squared away, it would be a bummer at that mileage to have a motor issue. We have a 6.2 NHT with 6 speed in our family and its a beast of a truck. It will pull and go like no other. 

On 5/3/2019 at 6:06 PM, crankman said:

Hopefully they will get it squared away, it would be a bummer at that mileage to have a motor issue. We have a 6.2 NHT with 6 speed in our family and its a beast of a truck. It will pull and go like no other. 

Whoops wrong quote

Edited by 2kwik4u
wrong quote

On 5/3/2019 at 5:55 PM, garagerog said:

Thats exactly what I've setup.....Well not 100% exactly. Dropping the 2015 SLT Premium Plus off for service (my daily driver), and the dealership is putting me in a 2018 Denali as a courtesy. They have (22) 2018 Denalis on the lot. I think they're hoping for a trade in......doubt I do it, but I'll test the 6.2L for 'em.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:14 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

Or if not, there's a RAM dealer just down the road.  

Eff that man if I leave GM it's going to be for Toyota.  I have a friend selling a 2012 Rav 4 with 200,000 miles and front end damage from hitting a deer and he still got $5,000 for it.  Toyota's last forever and retain a good amount of their value...I've come to realize that you are being financially irresponsible with your money if you aren't buying Toyota at this point haha.  I'm not throwing in the towel just yet but in my opinion GM hasn't built a solid 1500 level truck since 2005.  My 2007 was an awful lemon.  So far my 2014 is hanging in there, some minor issues I can live with, but if there is any major transmission or engine problems before 150,000 miles, it's straight to Toyota.  I'm tired of watching every Toyota owner around me go 200k+ miles with zero issues while I keep having to perform major repairs on my GM trucks.  And it's not just me, every one of my coworkers that own GM trucks/SUV's are having unacceptable problems and they're all getting just as frustrated as I am.  I know people like to point out that the forums skew opinions because they naturally are a platform for people to gripe and complain and I get that there's an element of truth to that.  But generally speaking in my real world experience with vehicles I've owned and people I know, Toyota's impress time and time again while GM owners have complaints.  I do hear the Ram's getting good reviews but it's not worth taking the chance when Toyota demonstrates consistent value and reliability.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Silverado-Hareek said:

Eff that man if I leave GM it's going to be for Toyota.  I have a friend selling a 2012 Rav 4 with 200,000 miles and front end damage from hitting a deer and he still got $5,000 for it.  Toyota's last forever and retain a good amount of their value...I've come to realize that you are being financially irresponsible with your money if you aren't buying Toyota at this point haha.  I'm not throwing in the towel just yet but in my opinion GM hasn't built a solid 1500 level truck since 2005.  My 2007 was an awful lemon.  So far my 2014 is hanging in there, some minor issues I can live with, but if there is any major transmission or engine problems before 150,000 miles, it's straight to Toyota.  I'm tired of watching every Toyota owner around me go 200k+ miles with zero issues while I keep having to perform major repairs on my GM trucks.  And it's not just me, every one of my coworkers that own GM trucks/SUV's are having unacceptable problems and they're all getting just as frustrated as I am.  I know people like to point out that the forums skew opinions because they naturally are a platform for people to gripe and complain and I get that there's an element of truth to that.  But generally speaking in my real world experience with vehicles I've owned and people I know, Toyota's impress time and time again while GM owners have complaints.  I do hear the Ram's getting good reviews but it's not worth taking the chance when Toyota demonstrates consistent value and reliability.

Coming from a 2011 4Runner with 165,000 completely trouble free miles I have to say my Toyota was fantastic.  I off-roaded it a ton and it had pinstripes galore from the underbrush and dents on every panel. I STILL got $16,500 on the trade in, unreal.  

My father retired from GM and my past experience with them has been mixed- but I have had issues with every GM vehicle at some point during my ownership (6 total).  Nonetheless, I decided to try again because I just love this 2019 LTZ. 

I hope it holds up- it feels good to buy American again and I'm sure my Dad is up there smiling...

17 minutes ago, Limelight said:

Coming from a 2011 4Runner with 165,000 completely trouble free miles I have to say my Toyota was fantastic.  I off-roaded it a ton and it had pinstripes galore from the underbrush and dents on every panel. I STILL got $16,500 on the trade in, unreal.  

My father retired from GM and my past experience with them has been mixed- but I have had issues with every GM vehicle at some point during my ownership (6 total).  Nonetheless, I decided to try again because I just love this 2019 LTZ. 

I hope it holds up- it feels good to buy American again and I'm sure my Dad is up there smiling...

My dad has always been a loyal GM guy.  His last GM purchase was a 2004 suburban which he still has and it runs excellent.  I'm like you though every GM vehicle I've own has had issues.  My 2007 had transmission work done at 80,000 miles and the engine had the oil consumption issue pop up at around 90,000 miles which would've ultimately lead to an engine replacement on my dime so I unloaded it and bought the current 2014 that I have.  If I get another 5 years out of it and make it to around 140k-150k miles with no transmission work or major engine repairs, I may go ahead and get another GM at that point.  We'll see...

1 hour ago, Silverado-Hareek said:

Problem is Toyota trucks/SUVs just feel so OLD. They're all straight out of 2007. Rumor is the Tundra, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser are getting an update for 2021, but who knows. 

Just now, Mandalorian said:

Problem is Toyota trucks/SUVs just feel so OLD. They're all straight out of 2007. Rumor is the Tundra, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser are getting an update for 2021, but who knows. 

Oh agreed I actually hate the way the Tundra looks.  I still think GM puts out the best looking truck on the road by a mile.  If I went with Toyota, I'd either need the Tundra to look better or I'd go with a Tacoma.  Although I have to say the 2019 Silverado looks basically like a Tundra now unfortunately.  The Sierra is the better looking of the GM twins for 2019+.

2 hours ago, Silverado-Hareek said:

Oh agreed I actually hate the way the Tundra looks.  I still think GM puts out the best looking truck on the road by a mile.  If I went with Toyota, I'd either need the Tundra to look better or I'd go with a Tacoma.  Although I have to say the 2019 Silverado looks basically like a Tundra now unfortunately.  The Sierra is the better looking of the GM twins for 2019+.

The only way Tundras look good is leveled or lifted with AT tires.  Stock it is one ugly truck.  Plus they just suck gas.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4weight said:

The only way Tundras look good is leveled or lifted with AT tires.  Stock it is one ugly truck.  Plus they just suck gas.  

yup.  Old tech and horrible gas mileage.  I didn't even consider a Tundra when I needed a fullsize.