In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

JayTrailBoss

2019 Silverado Backup Camera Problems

On 10/15/2019 at 9:46 PM, Thejet07 said:

I wonder how hard it would be to switch out to the HD camera and if it’s even possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing. Just got a 2019 RST and didn't realize it wasn't the HD back up camera. Could it really be that hard to swap out the tailgate mechanism with camera? would love to here if someone has done this

FYI, taking my truck back to the dealer for camera issue glitching out still, brake life at 0% despite just being serviced, and check engine light on after engine/transmission began jerking at 60mph. Light went out but got the code ? Related to MAF sensor. The camera was looked at when I first got the truck, again when it was serviced about a month ago/7k miles but this time I said I'm not leaving with the truck until it's fixed. This is ridiculous and is a safety concern especially with 4 kids come on GM

Really?

15 hours ago, JayTrailBoss said:

FYI, taking my truck back to the dealer for camera issue glitching out still, brake life at 0% despite just being serviced, and check engine light on after engine/transmission began jerking at 60mph. Light went out but got the code ? Related to MAF sensor. The camera was looked at when I first got the truck, again when it was serviced about a month ago/7k miles but this time I said I'm not leaving with the truck until it's fixed. This is ridiculous and is a safety concern especially with 4 kids come on GM

It's not a safety concern, as the brake life reading zero is a computer error, not that the brake pads are actually worn out...unless you've driven it 50+ K miles...

The only "safety concern" would maybe be the backup camera not working...

I think an engine jerking at 60 mph can be a safety concern no matter what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2019 GMC Sierra Denali with every option. My camera has cut out completely it reads service rear vision system. It isn't just the cheaper models. This is an 82000 dollar truck. 

On 11/7/2019 at 6:42 AM, Shawn9999 said:

This is an 82000 dollar truck. 

image.thumb.png.7036f7f4919005885405c7e5d08aaebf.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the same issue with my 2019 lt and the service guy told me it was normal for the trim i have, and the worst part is that  make you feel like you are making a big deal for a backup camera

On 10/28/2019 at 2:13 PM, davester said:

Really?

It's not a safety concern, as the brake life reading zero is a computer error, not that the brake pads are actually worn out...unless you've driven it 50+ K miles...

I ignore the DIC readings for brake life,  got my own built-in brake life monitor called my eyeballs. Wide spokes in the alloys permit direct viewing of the edges of the pads for brake life without removing the wheels.

On 10/27/2019 at 9:58 PM, Milleam said:

I was thinking the same thing. Just got a 2019 RST and didn't realize it wasn't the HD back up camera. Could it really be that hard to swap out the tailgate mechanism with camera? would love to here if someone has done this

Might be more than just the camera, convenience II option pack comes with HD camera and HD touchscreen. Changes in the (Silverado) reverse lighting improved over the previous gen.....my '16 (white) lenses had reflectors only pointing rearward, new taillights in 19+ have lenses with reflectors pointing rearward and to the side of the vehicle for better wide angle lighting with stock bulbs.

Here is my 2020 LT Trail boss backup camera.8b72fa10841ed4479954cff79ca78f62.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Sad 2

Has anyone had a dealer fix their "blue screen of death" on the backup camera? Had my 2019 RST in a few weeks ago, and of course could not duplicate the issue. Since it wasn't malfunctioning there, they couldn't do anything.

It seems to not work on start up, regardless of temperature or waiting for the full infotainment boot up. If you drive for a little, and let the truck fully shut down, it seems to work.  Of course, that means when you drive to the dealer it them works when it starts back up. 

If it is a federal law that vehicles need backup cameras, how is GM getting away with this?

On 12/6/2019 at 8:14 AM, ChrisM73 said:

Has anyone had a dealer fix their "blue screen of death" on the backup camera? Had my 2019 RST in a few weeks ago, and of course could not duplicate the issue. Since it wasn't malfunctioning there, they couldn't do anything.

It seems to not work on start up, regardless of temperature or waiting for the full infotainment boot up. If you drive for a little, and let the truck fully shut down, it seems to work.  Of course, that means when you drive to the dealer it them works when it starts back up. 

If it is a federal law that vehicles need backup cameras, how is GM getting away with this?

Take it back to the dealer for software update. 

On 5/4/2019 at 6:13 PM, JayTrailBoss said:

Thanks, I know that's what they said - the HD model is not having this issue it's just the "lower end" model screens!? The dealer said there is nothing they can do with it at this point though...any ideas for follow up action plan?

Mine said the same thing.  Daytime is okay and kicks out at times.  I also get the service rear camera notice and screen goes blank.  At night it gets real fuzzy with lines through it.  Took it to the dealer and they said they didn't find any issues and I even showed them the video.  They said there is nothing they can do.  Sad!