Bargain Beast - New V8 Camaro Costs Just $34,995

2020-Chevrolet-CamaroLT1-003.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
5-6-2019

GM Has a new trim/equipment package for the 2020 Chevrolet Camaro that caught our attention. The new LT1 Camaro model (Shown in red above) combines the content and design of the Camaro LT (1LT trim) and SS. It is powered by the 455-horsepower LT1 engine, making it the least pricey choice for V-8 performance in the Camaro lineup with a starting price of $34,995 - That price includes destination charges.  “The new Camaro LT1 is a great choice for those seeking a pure V-8 performance experience,” said Steve Majoros, director of Chevrolet passenger car and crossover marketing. “And at less than $35,000, it will be one of the most affordable V-8 performers on the market.”

The 2020 Camaro LT1 is offered in both coupe and convertible models, and is available with a standard six-speed manual transmission or an available 10-speed automatic. Additional features include:

-LT exterior styling combined with the SS’s vented hood.
-LT1 fender badges and black bowtie emblems.
-20-inch x 8.5-inch SS style wheels at all four corners and all-season tires (versus the SS’s staggered wheels and summer performance tires).
-Available Technology Package, including the Chevrolet infotainment system with an 8-inch-diagonal color touchscreen and Bose premium audio system.

2020-Chevrolet-CamaroSS-001 (1).jpg

GM is also slightly restyling the Camaro SS (Shown in blue above). The 2020 SS front-end appearance is based on the distinctive design of the Camaro Shock show vehicle shown last fall at the SEMA Show. The SS front end now has a repositioned bowtie emblem in the upper grille and a body-color bar between the upper and lower grilles. “Customers spoke, and we listened,” said Mr. Majoros. “The overwhelmingly positive reaction to the Shock concept car's stylized design helped prompt its transition from concept to production.”

Good news, those 5.0L Mustangs are selling like hotcakes. Good to see GM stepping up to take some of that business away. They were offering a 1SS 6spd at my dealer last fall for $42,000 CAD which I thought was an incredible deal, but I am a Corvette fan unfortunately. 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:34 AM, L86 All Terrain said:

Good news, those 5.0L Mustangs are selling like hotcakes. Good to see GM stepping up to take some of that business away. They were offering a 1SS 6spd at my dealer last fall for $42,000 CAD which I thought was an incredible deal, but I am a Corvette fan unfortunately. 

Might be selling like hotcakes but the 5.0 is sucking oil like hotcakes too?  

2 hours ago, SILVER SLED said:

Hopefully GM is listening and will also do a redesign on the front end of the Silverado also.

Why? Looks pretty good, don't hear many complaints about the front end. They actually look better and better as time wears on and more are seen in the wild. You hear a few more about the interior but neither are needed and are great for what they are intended.

Tyler

• Like 3

It's about time they make some performance affordable. Not everyone wants or needs every last bell and whistle, just to get a couple more cylinders. Now if they'd offer packages like this for trucks I think a lot of people would be happy.

Performance is a personal thing. To the younger crowd it doesn’t have to include a V-8. It just has to hit a number, what it sounds like doesn’t matter. The trouble with car companies theses days to get performance they add stuff that some people don’t want. I remember a Chevy called Biscayne. Basic economy car. You could plug in any engine Chevy had without add ons. This bargain could be cheaper. Now if you could get the 6.2 in a two door work truck.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I never used a parking brake in an automatic vehicle. In a stick vehicle turn it off or carry a block. If I wanted that car that park brake wouldn’t deter me. Cylinder deactivation would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 5/12/2019 at 10:42 PM, Colossus said:

As awesome of a car as it was, the SS still would not have sold very well compared to the Charger. 

What irks me about the whole thing is all they had to do was make the G8 into a Chevy when they killed Pontiac, but they refused. Then they bring over the Holden and re-badge it as a Chevy and slap a high price tag on it. Then kill the damn thing because it didn't meet their sales expectations among other things. GM really makes no sense when it comes to 50% of their decisions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daryl Z71 said:

What irks me about the whole thing is all they had to do was make the G8 into a Chevy when they killed Pontiac, but they refused. Then they bring over the Holden and re-badge it as a Chevy and slap a high price tag on it. Then kill the damn thing because it didn't meet their sales expectations among other things. GM really makes no sense when it comes to 50% of their decisions.

The Pontiac G8 as well as the 04-06 Pontiac GTO were Holden products. Rebadged & slightly restyled as Pontiacs, though were mfg'd in Australia. The GTO had a similar minimalist option sheet like the SS. 

Further, the redesigned Commodore or would be SS changed platforms in 2018 to the same that underpins the Malibu, Regal etc. I do not know of any GM models still using the old zeta platform that they could have continued production of the SS? 

14 hours ago, '01LS1 said:

The Pontiac G8 as well as the 04-06 Pontiac GTO were Holden products. Rebadged & slightly restyled as Pontiacs, though were mfg'd in Australia. The GTO had a similar minimalist option sheet like the SS. 

Further, the redesigned Commodore or would be SS changed platforms in 2018 to the same that underpins the Malibu, Regal etc. I do not know of any GM models still using the old zeta platform that they could have continued production of the SS? 

Somehow I forgot that the G8 & GTO were Holden's as well. I guess my main complaint is that they didn't continue with the G8 as a re-badge Chevrolet. I mean it was good enough for the Caprice PPV even though sales for that were horrid. I imagine though if they put a little effort in styling it correctly and offering an attractive price tag it would have sold well to the public at that point in time.