Bargain Beast - New V8 Camaro Costs Just $34,995

Not impressed.  A V8 Camaro in 1970 cost about $2850.   In today's prices that would be $18,770.  Yet GM wants almost twice that amount.  And the 1970 Camaro was more reliable.   No sale.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not impressed.  A V8 Camaro in 1970 cost about $2850.   In today's prices that would be $18,770.  Yet GM wants almost twice that amount.  And the 1970 Camaro was more reliable.   No sale.

I would pay a little more for the increased performance. There’s no way they would produce a Camaro as basic as the 70 model. The safety features they have to include would have to increase the cost by a couple grand. Now I can see mid 20K, Id want ac and cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1965 Stingray 425hp/396 four speed radio and heater delete. I see what your doing. :rolleyes: I like it. I'd like it more under $25K. I'm deaf and wouldn't run a car like that in the winter anyway. They could loose a bunch of junk off this new one and hit that $25K price point and still make a nice profit. Greed....it's an ugly thing 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I would pay a little more for the increased performance. There’s no way they would produce a Camaro as basic as the 70 model. The safety features they have to include would have to increase the cost by a couple grand. Now I can see mid 20K, Id want ac and cruise.

Except the price I stated for the 1970 Camaro was not the base model straight six.  It was the optional upgraded model.   The price for the new Camaro of this thread is for the base, bare bones model with no options. So the comparison is indeed more than fair. 

Edited by Cowpie

Except the price I stated for the 1970 Camaro was not the base model straight six.  It was the optional upgraded model.   The price for the new Camaro of this thread is for the base, bare bones model with no options. So the comparison is indeed more than fair. 

So no Ac,cruise, roll up windows, open rear end, vinyl seats, no console, no carpet, manual locks, bias ply tires, dog disk wheels covers, no backup camera, am radio etc? Didn’t know you could do that now days. I had a few of those striped Chevy V8s back then. They were pretty basic.

1965 Stingray 425hp/396 four speed radio and heater delete. I see what your doing. :rolleyes: I like it. I'd like it more under $25K. I'm deaf and wouldn't run a car like that in the winter anyway. They could loose a bunch of junk off this new one and hit that $25K price point and still make a nice profit. Greed....it's an ugly thing 

You could do the same in a Biscayne and be cheaper. They didn’t handle, could go straight real good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

So no Ac,cruise, roll up windows, open rear end, vinyl seats, no console, no carpet, manual locks, bias ply tires, dog disk wheels covers, no backup camera, am radio etc? Didn’t know you could do that now days. I had a few of those striped Chevy V8s back then. They were pretty basic.

Good God, how far back in the past do you think 1970 is?  We are not talking about a Model T.  My folks bought a average 1968 Chevy Impala and it had AC.  My 1972 Chevy Nova I bought in 1973 had AC.  And that Nova was not some stacked SS model with all the bells and whistles.  it just had a nice little 307 V8.  

And many of us actually knew how to drive and a back up camera wasn't a major deal.  It still isn't for me even though my 2015 2500 has one and my 2017 Equinox has one.  The 2006 Cadillac we have doesn't have a backup camera.  I hardly use it in the vehicles that have it and don't miss it in the one that doesn't.   

Just because the OEM's throw stuff on vehicles that jacks up the price does not mean that it really is necessary.  I can put a 70 foot semi truck into some pretty tight spots without running into anything.  No backup camera.  I think I can back a little 2500 pickup truck safely without it also. I only seem to use the camera when hooking up a trailer, otherwise I generally ignore it.  It is nice, but I could easily live without it.

And what you mentioned for goodies, even bought separately after market would not add up to the cost that GM wants for a base Camaro.  Fact is, cost of production parts are cheaper on volume than buying them individually on the market. so all the goodies really don't add much to the cost.  Even the MyLink 4G systems in modern GM  vehicles is not very expensive.  Not exactly cutting edge technology.

Quite true only AM radio, but then, FM hadn't taken off as a major market force yet.  And putting a AM/FM/ XM radio in a car nowadays is pretty cheap.  When you compare todays pricing for one compared to the price for just an AM radio back then, today's full featured radios are cheaper on an inflation adjusted basis.  Yet, the OEM wants to up the cost twice over what the inflation adjusted price should be.   If an OEM really wanted to do it right, they would put AM/FM/XM/ NOAA weather bands.   I have that in my semi truck and a replacement radio like that is only $150, and it includes iPhone connectivity.     Again, the OEM's have jacked up prices far beyond what is realistic.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 1:34 PM, L86 All Terrain said:

Good news, those 5.0L Mustangs are selling like hotcakes. Good to see GM stepping up to take some of that business away. They were offering a 1SS 6spd at my dealer last fall for $42,000 CAD which I thought was an incredible deal, but I am a Corvette fan unfortunately. 

With the C8 roll out just around the corner, dealers are putting regular (non ZR1/Z06) C7 Corvettes out for $50-55k US with 0% for 72mo. That's a screaming deal.

Good God, how far back in the past do you think 1970 is?  We are not talking about a Model T.  My folks bought a average 1968 Chevy Impala and it had AC.  My 1972 Chevy Nova I bought in 1973 had AC.  And that Nova was not some stacked SS model with all the bells and whistles.  it just had a nice little 307 V8.  

And many of us actually knew how to drive and a back up camera wasn't a major deal.  It still isn't for me even though my 2015 2500 has one and my 2017 Equinox has one.  The 2006 Cadillac we have doesn't have a backup camera.  I hardly use it in the vehicles that have it and don't miss it in the one that doesn't.   

Just because the OEM's throw stuff on vehicles that jacks up the price does not mean that it really is necessary.  I can put a 70 foot semi truck into some pretty tight spots without running into anything.  No backup camera.  I think I can back a little 2500 pickup truck safely without it also. I only seem to use the camera when hooking up a trailer, otherwise I generally ignore it.  It is nice, but I could easily live without it.

And what you mentioned for goodies, even bought separately after market would not add up to the cost that GM wants for a base Camaro.  Fact is, cost of production parts are cheaper on volume than buying them individually on the market. so all the goodies really don't add much to the cost.  Even the MyLink 4G systems in modern GM  vehicles is not very expensive.  Not exactly cutting edge technology.

You are missing the point, there’s no way the modern striped V-8 can match the 70s. You only have one V-8 choice, there’s safety and other products on new cars that drive up prices that can’t be removed. I bought a 74 striped barracuda to race new. 318, 3 speed stick, two ply tires, AM, etc. $2995. The Camaro can’t get as striped not possible . It is 6K cheeper than an SS. They only have to be cheaper than the same in a mustang or challenger. The markets not there. Kids rather have the cheaper civic type r.

Cliff and Stan, one of you is arguing worth (Cliff) and the other value (Stan), right?  You are both right, are you not? Back in the day, as we say, we bought worth and as it should be. Thing is, we have consumers today that haven't any idea what a thing is worth. They just see comparative pricing. Good lord there can be a $50 spread on a $20 item if you search the web instead of shop it, right? Makes me laugh and cry at the same time. I've seen an item on the Walmart shopping site 3X above the MSRP the manufacture sells it for factory direct. Sometimes 20% off with some promo code. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

On 5/7/2019 at 1:53 PM, mookdoc6 said:

Might be selling like hotcakes but the 5.0 is sucking oil like hotcakes too?  

That means absolutely nothing to consumers, Turbo BMW's have been drinking a quart per 1,000 miles for a decade and their sales haven't been hurt.

My 92 uses a qt every 500 miles. Stroker with a whipple. Freak me out at first. No smoke no leaks. I figured I’d be going to LS motor shortly. 8 years later still going.