Tundra TRD Pro vs. AT4 vs. Raptor

My brother had a 14 slightly lifted Tundra with slightly bigger tires.  That thing sucked gas.  Loaded up on a trip some friends went on, his truck barely made it 300 miles a tank.  However he bought a 17  that has a 6" lift with bigger tires and a 35 gallon gas tank.  He loves those Tundras.  So if gas mileage is a convenience issue, not a money issue, the Tundra has a 35 gal tank available, so does the Ford (std on Raptor). 

• 2 weeks later...

I found a brand new (3 miles), white 2019 Tundra TRD Pro for $52,600 out the door. From reading through the forums, it appears this a a pretty sweet deal. 

I still can't decide if I want to give up my 2018 Calvary Blue 4Runner TRD Pro for a 2019 Tundra TRD Pro, a 2019 Sierra AT4, or wait for the 2020 Tundra TRD Pro. However, at 6'8" and 350 lbs, I'm leaning towards a full size truck for the interior room and bed, but maybe I should just stick with the 4Runner.

Any recommendations?

Raptor, expensive, EcoBoost has issues.

Heard Tundra gets terrible gas mileage. Engine has been the same for years.(could be a good thing)

I've driven Fords for the past 20 yrs. Their quality has gone downhill.

Am I the only one scratching my head at who approved a “TRD” model?  Maybe it’s cause I’ve  got 11 and 12 year old boys, and the poop jokes are endless... but, really? You gonna name your truck a TuRD???

19 hours ago, mstgkillrws6 said:

I found a brand new (3 miles), white 2019 Tundra TRD Pro for $52,600 out the door. From reading through the forums, it appears this a a pretty sweet deal. 

I still can't decide if I want to give up my 2018 Calvary Blue 4Runner TRD Pro for a 2019 Tundra TRD Pro, a 2019 Sierra AT4, or wait for the 2020 Tundra TRD Pro. However, at 6'8" and 350 lbs, I'm leaning towards a full size truck for the interior room and bed, but maybe I should just stick with the 4Runner.

Any recommendations?

Get the truck , which ever one. I find the Turd Pro 4 runner face fugly. Tundra and taco look much better 

Have you driven both yet? I cannot possibly see how someone would choose the Tundra over the AT4 if an honest test drive was taken in both trucks. Saving $4-$8K is the only reason I could see buying the TRD. But the buyer’s remorse would be massive, if it were me. And I’m not a die hard GM guy. The Tundra is just SO in need a refresh and is outdated in every way. 

I drove Tundra's from 2007-2010 with the company I worked with during that time. They were very reliable and stout but they were expensive to service. I didn't enjoy driving them although the 5.7/6-speed was top notch at the time, well, still is good but the power race is leaving it behind. Efficiency, a bit better than my 2016 2500 6.0. In Canada they've started discounting them and I'd call it the best bang for the buck by a long shot. If you can live with a prehistoric truck with a respectable and proven drive line, go for it. I personally wouldn't because I hate driving the Tundra but I certainly can't call it a bad truck. It's probably the most truck-like truck on the market and it will stay reliable with pretty much any type of lift and tire combo.

On 5/17/2019 at 2:06 PM, mstgkillrws6 said:

Any recommendations?

Ok, I’ll ask.. how did you fit in a 4th gen f-body at 6’8” 350lbs? Lol

• Like 1