Silverado vs Tundra

47 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

The 2019 Chevrolet will hold value even better because it is all-new. I can't think of a single reason to buy Tundra over any American truck. Slightly better reliability? That's it?

I wouldn't be so sure about any first-year model having "good" resale value. Do 2014 Silverados have good resale value?

33 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

I wouldn't be so sure about any first-year model having "good" resale value. Do 2014 Silverados have good resale value?

They are doing ok. 

1 hour ago, NWI Denali said:

Exactly. And if you extrapolate that 14mpg vs 20 mpg out over 100k miles @ 3 bucks a gallon, that's $6400 difference.

It's $4 here so that's $8,571 difference. Good thinking, I'm going to add that to one of my arguments to somebody who wants to buy a Tundra.

1 hour ago, NWI Denali said:

Compared to the 2014 Ford F-150 before the re-do in 2015, yes.

Currently I have a '16 Sierra dbl cab w/ 6.2L and brother in law has a '16 Tundra 5.7L dbl cab, both of us have tonneau covers.  Around town he gets 14-15 mpg, I 17.  We did a family trip 200 miles, all highway, 4 vehicles in a caravan, so we were all the same speed (70ish).  We reset our trip computers before starting.  At the destination, the 6.2L averaged 21.x, the Tundra 19.x.  He thought with my 6.2L I'd be worse off.  But I believe the AFM & 8 speed trans helped immensely.  Mine is/was a lease that I bought as the original owner/driver.  Before purchasing in January, I couldn't find any deals on the redesigned '19 GMC's so I explored the Tundra.  The ride was ok, felt higher up.  Power was good.  But interior was outdated.  With polarized sunglasses on, I was unable to even read the NAV/radio screen.  Needless to say I passed on it.  

22 minutes ago, Linecapt said:

Currently I have a '16 Sierra dbl cab w/ 6.2L and brother in law has a '16 Tundra 5.7L dbl cab, both of us have tonneau covers.  Around town he gets 14-15 mpg, I 17.  We did a family trip 200 miles, all highway, 4 vehicles in a caravan, so we were all the same speed (70ish).  We reset our trip computers before starting.  At the destination, the 6.2L averaged 21.x, the Tundra 19.x.  He thought with my 6.2L I'd be worse off.  But I believe the AFM & 8 speed trans helped immensely.  Mine is/was a lease that I bought as the original owner/driver.  Before purchasing in January, I couldn't find any deals on the redesigned '19 GMC's so I explored the Tundra.  The ride was ok, felt higher up.  Power was good.  But interior was outdated.  With polarized sunglasses on, I was unable to even read the NAV/radio screen.  Needless to say I passed on it.  

Hmm interesting. I've never heard of 5.7 tundras beating 16 or 17 mpg.

To me, the Tundra is simply an ugly truck. For literally no other reason, I never even considered one.

I like the Tacoma a lot, but I'm not spending more money for a smaller truck. Around here, that's what I found: similarly outfitted Tacoma was as much or more than a Silverado/Sierra.

I briefly looked at them prior to my Silverado purchase. I just couldn’t bring myself to get one. They look horrible unless lifted with big wheels and the gas mileage stock is just atrocious. Couldn’t imagine how it is with 35s and a lift. Plus when I think of a truck it’s only big 3 for me. I couldn’t drive a Toyota truck. 

23 hours ago, NWI Denali said:

Not really considering I bought a Dbl cab 4x4 2014 WT 1500 with a 5.3L, power mirrors, Sirius radio, with 65,000miles for $20k CAD ($14,900USD), had one small ding in it and the Chevy shake. A lot of truck for the money, and this was in 2017, the same truck is probably $10k USD now. 

53 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Not really considering I bought a Dbl cab 4x4 2014 WT 1500 with a 5.3L, power mirrors, Sirius radio, with 65,000miles for $20k CAD ($14,900USD), had one small ding in it and the Chevy shake. A lot of truck for the money, and this was in 2017, the same truck is probably $10k USD now. 

I guess you're lucky not to be here.. I checked the 2014 4x4 and it was $27,598 for the cheapest 4x4 within a 30-mile radius. This one had 64,600 miles. But if I didn't pick 4x4 or anything, it is still $15,999 for a basic one. That's why I tell people to buy new, my new 2019 RST Z71 was $41,000, down from $51,000.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=22061&mkId=20053&page=1&perPage=20&rd=30&searchSource=SORT&shippable-dealers-checkbox=true&sort=price-lowest&stkTypId=28881&yrId=51683&zc=92675&localVehicles=false

Screenshot_20190510_111142.jpg

Local GMC dealer has a 2015 SLE, 39.6 K miles for $29 K. 

You may get some off that price.

Maybe $12 K  in savings means nothing to some people.

:)

I considered all brands when buying my Sierra.  Tundra was simply very dated, lacking features yet cost more.  Didn't even bother driving one, as it would clearly be a bad purchase.

The later models of this generation have awful bed shake as well.  Never noticed it in the 1st generation or earlier (say '07-'13 generation).  I was replacing a truck that was designed in '07...wasn't looking to buy a new truck that was also designed in '07 when it was 2018.  I felt at that price point, I deserve something a bit fresher.

My dad is both a GM and a Toyota guy and I consider myself fairly unbiased between the two. I care about reliability and don't care about a fancy interior or appearance but I am planning to buy a Sierra or Silverado for the following reasons (which are mostly related so sorry in advance for any redundancy): 

Better fuel economy

Roughly double the payload

Slightly higher GVWR

Lower curb weight

No max tow package on the Tundra

Bigger bed 

Similar expected reliability for the K2 to the current Tundra (at least according to one source I read)

I figure I'll give GM a chance and, if the reliability doesn't suit me, I'll switch to Toyota as long as it can tow the travel trailer I want.

Edited by Cpl_Punishment