Is it time to trade my 2015 Sierra in?

Hey guys I am new here. I have owned several GM trucks about 8 all have been great except this one. Now GM has taken care of most of the issues. But I’m debating on trading it in since it has been so problematic. I wanted to get some opinions. My Truck is a 2015 Sierra Max tow SLT 4x4. Currently has 66k. What concerns me is what has been replaced in that time:

ac compressor warranty

ac condenser warranty

radiator non warranty

thermostat non warranty

brake vacuum pump warranty

oil cooler hoses warranty

it needs rotors as of now

truck is not run hard. But this truck has had more issues than all of the others combined. Is it time to just trade it on a 19? I wanted to see if the new style had similar issues and if so go another route. I had a 15 f150 5.0 and it had one issue the Parking brake cable broke and I put 80k on it in 2 years this was a company truck. Not here to bash just want some opinions as I’m afraid what is going to let go next.

Edited by Just1news6
Spelling

If I was you I would avoid the 2019 trucks sense they are first year models for a new body style. You most likely will run into alot of issues similar to your 2015. Wait it out another year at least so Gm has time to clear up some of the issues with the 2019's. 2020 might would be better.

• Like 1

Honestly the rotors are to be expected if you drove the 66k with a lot of city driving. They're not as thick as they used to be and you'd do well to pony up the extra for the Police rotors. I'd bet only the fronts need changing.

The air conditioner is going to be chronic. It was for me and was the #1 reason I traded it in. 2016+ AC is a different system and seems to do better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Yes, trade it in for a leftover 2018. Last year of the body style, bugs worked out, and you should still be able to find a deal as long as you're not too picky about color or willing to drive a little distance.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, O_J_Simpson said:

Keep it. New ones have the same issues and with no payment you can afford to keep making these repairs.

No guarantees the next one will be problem free.

:)

12 hours ago, Just1news6 said:

Hey guys I am new here. I have owned several GM trucks about 8 all have been great except this one. Now GM has taken care of most of the issues. But I’m debating on trading it in since it has been so problematic. I wanted to get some opinions. My Truck is a 2015 Sierra Max tow SLT 4x4. Currently has 66k. What concerns me is what has been replaced in that time:

ac compressor warranty

ac condenser warranty

radiator non warranty

thermostat non warranty

brake vacuum pump warranty

oil cooler hoses warranty

it needs rotors as of now

truck is not run hard. But this truck has had more issues than all of the others combined. Is it time to just trade it on a 19? I wanted to see if the new style had similar issues and if so go another route. I had a 15 f150 5.0 and it had one issue the Parking brake cable broke and I put 80k on it in 2 years this was a company truck. Not here to bash just want some opinions as I’m afraid what is going to let go next.

Every issue you mention above except rotors are typical in most cases with the '14 and some early '15 trucks that shared the same parts.  You are not alone.

Honestly GM should be more aware of and involved in parts production outsourcing and quality control.

This would solve many of the issues.

Follow your gut.

You being content is what matters most. :thumbs:

My 2014 GMC Sierra Denali has been the same. Basically, it has experienced every known issue. It’s at 90,500 miles now and I’m just waiting for the next major failure. I’m pretty disappointed with it and GM in general and I will probably not rebuy GM again. 

Edited by RE1

My 2014 only

issue was the ac condenser going bad and my front struts going bad so far got fixed under warranty which expires at 100k which

im

now at 93k. I. Put new plugs in bigger tires 275/60/20 new rotors pads all the way around, swapped intake and Tb to l86 ones. Next will be headers and tune, dual exhaust then I’m done for power wise . It be nice to see 350rwhp or More and at least 360rwtq or

more and I do use e85 since it’s 1.90 a gallon vs 87 being 2.49 and 93 being 3.20

6 hours ago, RE1 said:

My 2014 GMC Sierra Denali has been the same. Basically, it has experienced every known issue. It’s at 90,500 miles now and I’m just waiting for the next major failure. I’m pretty disappointed with it and GM in general and I will probably not rebuy GM again. 

Are you going to ride it out or trade it?

We have an 06 Honda Civic that had been a black hole. Motor at 63K. Honda warranty. More tires than I can count until I stopped using Honda parts (rear upper control arm length issue) and went MOOG Problem Solver adjustable and a great alignment on her. 

Just took a snap yesterday. 222,000 miles. The last 161,000 trouble free. It's a keeper now that I have it sorted. Uses no oil. Leak down under 10%. Shifts nice. Drives nice. Paint sucks. LOL> 41 mpg. 13 years and skipped two new cars. 

My 2015 Silverado has been a true gem. 90K with nothing but a pinon seal. $5 part and 30 minutes of time. Still has original wiper blades although I just bought a set. It's getting ready for some work but nothing that would have me trading for a $500 a month payment. 

These two couldn't be more different and yet both turned out reliable and well worth the effort when I look at the 'true cost' of buying or trading. I can do allot of maintenance for $500 a month, month in and month out. Buy motors and transmissions cheaper than that. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

12 hours ago, Just1news6 said:

Are you going to ride it out or trade it?

Gonna ride it out for now. I drive about 20k miles a year so I’ll decide in the next 6 months or so if 1. I keep it past 100k miles and do spark plugs, coolant, transmission service; or 2. Trade before I get to 100k miles (and powertrain warranty expires). 

Part of my problem right now is that I want a truck but I don’t want anything that is currently on the market. Waiting to see what Toyota is doing with the Tundra, what Ford will do with the 7.3L gas engine in the F250, and what they will do (if anything) with the Raptor (I don’t want TT V6). Not even considering a GM T1. 

Edited by RE1

On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎09 at 5:27 PM, Just1news6 said:

Is it time to just trade it on a 19? 

Trade it in if you want and can afford a new truck but not because of the problems you mentioned.  We all have our favourite excuses to purchase a new vehicle.  My go-to reasons were the old truck is "starting to cost" or I need "dependable transportation".   The difference here is we're talking about 4 year old SLT with 66K , not a beater.  I have a low mileage '15 SLE and regularly look at new trucks.  I've yet to find one that would be worth the added cost.  I keep my current truck well maintained and tackle expenses as they occur.  I had my oil changed last Thursday and was forewarned that I will need all of my fluids changed at my next service.  This will translate to a $600+ service that will put a strain on my allowance!   However, this hit pales in comparison to having to spend $600+ a month on truck loan!

• Thanks 1