Is it time to trade my 2015 Sierra in?

I'd stick with the truck that you have now IMO.... 2019 trucks will have some teething issues like the 2014's did..  I have almost 70k miles on my 2016 and it's (knock on wood) trouble free...

I'm a 10 year driver. I typically buy 3 yr old off lease CPO trucks and drive them for 10 years. I traded my 2005 RC/SB Silverado WT, last June for a 2015 Double Cab Z71. I ended up financing 25k after trade on a 3 yr old truck with what I wanted, and 30k on it. However, I cross my fingers every day that my 2015 will be as reliable as my 2005 was. Everything can break. I only put about 8500-9000 miles on a year, so I traded my 2005 in with 125K on it. I keep them as clean and well maintained as possible. End result is I got almost half of what I paid for the 2005, 10 years ago. I am going on a year with my 2015 and have not spent a dime on it, aside from a single recent oil change. I will need a new set of tires before winter. I have 37k on the original Wrangler SR-A's, and don't expect much more out of them. I don't sweat warranty work, or recalls. Usually by the time you have a failure the part has been redesigned or improved. Brakes, Tires, Fluids & Filters, Shocks & Struts, Belts, Wipers and Bulbs all don't count. They are normal wear / maintenance items. So if you have to spend some money on brakes at 66k, that is an expected expense.  Bottom line is I wouldn't sweat a problem that you HAD, unless it is a reoccurring problem. If you love your '15 keep it, if you hate/ are uncomfortable with it, trade it. If you trade it, look at CPO trucks. Let some one else eat the deprecation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I had my oil changed last Thursday and was forewarned that I will need all of my fluids changed at my next service.  This will translate to a $600+ service that will put a strain on my allowance!

Just curious.

Does this include brake fluid, coolant and power steering fluid?

Probably not. Just diff's and trans. I would guess.

For that money it should include every fluid in the truck IMO.

:)

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Just curious.

Does this include brake fluid, coolant and power steering fluid?

Probably not. Just diff's and trans. I would guess.

For that money it should include every fluid in the truck IMO.

Yes, just diffs and trans!  However, I will ask at local transmission shops to see if I can't reduce my contributions to GM..  Unfortunately, crawling around under the truck myself is no longer an option!

1 minute ago, Donstar said:

Unfortunately, crawling around under the truck myself is no longer an option!

My day is coming.

3 hours ago, RE1 said:

Gonna ride it out for now. I drive about 20k miles a year so I’ll decide in the next 6 months or so if 1. I keep it past 100k miles and do spark plugs, coolant, transmission service; or 2. Trade before I get to 100k miles (and powertrain warranty expires). 

Part of my problem right now is that I want a truck but I don’t want anything that is currently on the market. Waiting to see what Toyota is doing with the Tundra, what Ford will do with the 7.3L gas engine in the F250, and what they will do (if anything) with the Raptor (I don’t want TT V6). Not even considering a GM T1. 

I think this is where I’m at also. I am going to drive it a little longer get it close to 100k and see what happens. I had considered a new T1 Trail boss or High country, but I think I will be looking at something different, gotta say though with the exception of the radiator (which they should have covered) they have taken care of everything else.

On 5/11/2019 at 2:23 PM, RE1 said:

My 2014 GMC Sierra Denali has been the same. Basically, it has experienced every known issue. It’s at 90,500 miles now and I’m just waiting for the next major failure. I’m pretty disappointed with it and GM in general and I will probably not rebuy GM again. 

Same with my 2014 SLT Sierra. Many issues out of warranty have failed and shouldn't have. GM is making many people go to other brands from what i've read and heard. I'm with you. 

2019 T1's are having their fair share of problems so far.

Everything from leaking rear windows, body alignment issues, oil lines failing and several software bugs.

Do yourself a favor and avoid jumping out of one frying pan into another.

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

2019 T1's are having their fair share of problems so far.

Everything from leaking rear windows, body alignment issues, oil lines failing and several software bugs.

Do yourself a favor and avoid jumping out of one frying pan into another.

Agree 100%.

For a major corporation who has been building trucks for a long time, it shouldn’t be this hard to get it right. This is absurd. 

Edited by RE1
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:14 AM, Donstar said:

Trade it in if you want and can afford a new truck but not because of the problems you mentioned.  We all have our favourite excuses to purchase a new vehicle.  My go-to reasons were the old truck is "starting to cost" or I need "dependable transportation".   The difference here is we're talking about 4 year old SLT with 66K , not a beater.  I have a low mileage '15 SLE and regularly look at new trucks.  I've yet to find one that would be worth the added cost.  I keep my current truck well maintained and tackle expenses as they occur.  I had my oil changed last Thursday and was forewarned that I will need all of my fluids changed at my next service.  This will translate to a $600+ service that will put a strain on my allowance!   However, this hit pales in comparison to having to spend $600+ a month on truck loan!

This, right here.  Everyone makes excuses to buy new vehicles, I don't get it.  My last truck was an 07 with 170k miles on the clock, and it ran great.  Only got the new truck because my brother was in bad shape financially, so I gave him my 07 so he could keep roofing, as his old truck was dying.  Even if you spend 1k bucks a year in maintenance, it beats 400 a month on a payment.  I will keep my 18 for a long time, I love it.

Edited by slimjim2525

On 5/11/2019 at 3:52 PM, 14 gmcl83 said:

My 2014 only

issue was the ac condenser going bad and my front struts going bad so far got fixed under warranty which expires at 100k which

im

now at 93k. I. Put new plugs in bigger tires 275/60/20 new rotors pads all the way around, swapped intake and Tb to l86 ones. Next will be headers and tune, dual exhaust then I’m done for power wise . It be nice to see 350rwhp or More and at least 360rwtq or

more and I do use e85 since it’s 1.90 a gallon vs 87 being 2.49 and 93 being 3.20

I've had a 2014 SLT 5.3 AT 4x4 CC put 45k on it before totaled in accident (not my fault) - had BAD shake that was never resolved, oil consumption, tranny clunk, then after getting ins. check went to same dealer got essentially same truck except w/ the 6.2 & 2015 model year brand new - drove it 62k miles & totaled it too (hit a deer on hwy @ 75 mph - again not my fault lol - deer DID ME A FAVOR!) - that truck had 8 speed tranny also clunky/harsh shifts & did have the tranny TSB done w/ reflash & flush w/ new fluid etc., 3rd brake light leaked stained headliner, dropped a couple lifters, bad injectors, bad fuel rail driver's side, starter died @ 34k left me stranded on a trip, nav/infotainment screen went haywire last 20-30k of ownership rendering it essentially useless - would behave as if a ghost were just tapping the screen randomly....all the time (glad I got an SLT loL!), exhaust manifold leak that was audible yet never fixed, driver's side bearing went @ 50k - no towing, minimal offroading/4x4 use.

When that truck was totaled & the ins. company stroked me a check for $32.5k (I owed nothing on it) even when the dealer offered me a leftover '18 Denali Ultimate fully loaded up for $51k I gave it a hard pass...the 2019s? As others mentioned - already did the first model year of a new generation vehicle, all set w/ being GM's guinea pig again. I was a die hard GM guy, still own a C5 Z06 that is the single longest ownership I've ever had for a vehicle - Aside from the 14-15 GMC's I had an '07 Silvy, '04 GTO, '08 G8GT, & a grand prix & firebird back in the day. Their quality went way down & I think it was kinda on purpose recouping the $$$$ lost during the bankruptcy. And the 8 speed tranny? NO SHIT they knew/know its junk, why else would they have been simultaneously/immediately coming out w/ a 10 speed jointly developed w/ Ford? Crickets for that answer amiright? Have you ever taken a look @ how puny the A-arms/bushings/spindles/driveshaft/axles are on the GM 1/2 tons btw?

Got into a new '18 Raptor leftover & zero regrets whatsoever, more than that - this is EASILY the most satisfied I've ever been on DD vehicle purchase & it aint even close. 

As far as missing the V8? Love GM V8's....when they don't have AFM shit in em, if they sold 'em without that as an option I'd be much more inclined to look @ new trucks...its a god damn joke they put that crap into a vette engine. JOKE. Anyhow.....I only miss the sound of the V8, that's it, dyno #'s? On 35" BFG KO2's my truck puts down 445whp 550rwtq.......w/ a TUNE.

RAM has the best ride/interior & most comfortable seats (unless you get the Recaros in a Raptor)

Ford has the fastest trucks w/ most bang for the buck

Toyota has a tried & true but tired design that just attracts loyalists

Nissan is just fishing for business w/ 100k warranty

GM makes blinged out mall crawlers & fleet vehicles & would rather spend R&D on wireless phone charging than engines that don't grenade or trucks that don't shake

Make sure that structural integrity recall (The defect: the structural roof braces may be missing rivets at the attachment of the roof rail, thereby reducing the structural integrity.) has been done on your Raptor and watch for known transfer case issues.

1 hour ago, Sinkhole said:

Make sure that structural integrity recall (The defect: the structural roof braces may be missing rivets at the attachment of the roof rail, thereby reducing the structural integrity.) has been done on your Raptor and watch for known transfer case issues.

Reports of issues are more overblown - A LARGE chunk of Raptor owners (not necessarily including myself here) are extremely demanding wealthy buyers who own multiple vehicles & are used to getting quality for what they pay for. Also worth noting is there's a whole other category of owners that truly use these Raptors for what they're intended for, & mod them, & drive them HARD - its a very common/popular high-end vehicle in the western part/west coast of the country b/c of its capabilities. So yeah - while they have some issues (again - I reiterate ALL makes have issues) what you read/hear about is a little different coming from the Raptor crowd vs. your typical forum/owner contingent. My biggest warranty/quality concern w/ my Raptor from the outset is w/ the Pano roof - many F150's - particularly 14-16 model years - had moonroof issues, not just leakage but misalignments/TSB's for weak parts that need replacements etc. Main reason I opted for a 100k b2b warranty..............but, it really raises the bar on the quality level & brightens up the mostly dark interior well, plus my 4 year old, dog, & wife seem to really like it lol

The transfer case? Relatively few cases of issues/failure in reality. There was TSB for leaky gasket, also there are reports of the T-case grenading but typically its VERY early on in the life of the truck from what I've researched & it seems to be almost exclusively happening to trucks that have the front locker. Mine only has rear locker. Besides....got the warranty lol, and that T-case is part of what gives the Raptor some of it "magic" - it makes it truly the ONLY 1/2 ton truck (or any pickup I think) that can run in legit AWD, which is a nice feature when you're driving the most powerful 1/2 ton out there, you can put ALL the power down should  you like, very fun in the rain!

The structural roof brace thing is news to me, will check it out though!

P.S. - not trying to "troll" this forum, I truly do feel bad for other owners having issue & TRULY believe this is more than just a case of "all makes have their issues" & "more vocal people go on forums or go on w/ complaints but thousands out there driving down the road happy"  - I think GM has been making vehicles - paricularly trucks - w/ more than their fair share of issues. 

Case in point I have another body who had leases then bought 1 outta lease (his current is a '17 Denali Ultimate) & hes had FIVE K2 trucks - outta those 5 hes had 7 transmissions & 8 torque converters & 6 additional lifters, so yeah......