Help? - RST Z71 upgrade to Bilstein /Ko2’s ??

I am planning to order a 2019 (possibly 2020) RST Z71 Crew Cab Standard Bed. I don’t want the rear end to jump around and I am thinking about springing for new Bilstein 5100 Shocks upon delivery and KO2 tires. I do Not plan to lift. I have only leveled my current 2011 Z71. I have read great reviews about the adjustable 5100’s. I am curious how much rake the new truck has and does it need to be raised in the front? Would you replace all shocks or just the rear for better ride?

Edited by Snuff

Well a couple issues there. Bilstein does not make any shocks for the 2019's yet. Neither does Fox. You have to spend big money on CST, King, or Icon right now for shocks. However I had a set of rear Bilstein shocks collecting dust in my garage. They are for a 2017 Ram 1500. I looked up the specs and the numbers are fairly close to the 2019 Chevy specs so I tossed them on. They are certainly stiffer on small chatter style bumps but on big bumps and dips they are much more stable. No bounce at all in the back while the stock shocks in the front have a lot of bounce. Definitely more of a sporty ride.

I can tell you this as a 2019 Silverado RST Z71 owner.. the rear end sure jumps around an awful lot. I kind of miss my old F-150, at least all four sides were equal. The problem with the RST is that the front end handles so well and stays planted which can place me at a awkward angle when the jumping around ends. Nearly hit a guy walking on the curb when I ran over a rough dirt patch in the middle of the road. Didn't matter if I was going straight. Reducing the psi worked.. now I'm at 35 all around. That has helped a bit, but it still jumps around a lot more than I'd like. Not happy about this at all. Some have said it is because the shocks are twin tubes and the two tubes inside seem to not agree with each other at times.

2 hours ago, Passivaggressor said:

It's just crappy stock shocks. When I pulled the stock shocks off and pressed on them they moved so easily and came up pretty quick. The Bilsteins were much harder to push down and came up a tad slower. 

20190509_125708.jpg

This is on a 2019 1500?

Edited by Snuff

On 5/11/2019 at 3:22 PM, Snuff said:

I am planning to order a 2019 (possibly 2020) RST Z71 Crew Cab Standard Bed. I don’t want the rear end to jump around and I am thinking about springing for new Bilstein 5100 Shocks upon delivery and KO2 tires. I do Not plan to lift. I have only leveled my current 2011 Z71. I have read great reviews about the adjustable 5100’s. I am curious how much rake the new truck has and does it need to be raised in the front? Would you replace all shocks or just the rear for better ride?

I think I have heard three people say the rear jumps around and that must be mostly attributed to the driver/situation issue as then why isn't everyone else or all the reviews saying it? Maybe try driving the truck for a bit and see? The shocks are new, aren't the bad (regardless of what a few people say on here) and make your own decision. You want to upgrade to a heavier and stiffer tire (only assuming it will be an LT e-rated tire as most KO's are), news flash that will offset some shock change as the added tire stiffness will increase what causes the rear end to bounce around. Why KO tires? Have you looked at other better options? What is your drive like or what will the truck be doing?

Finally, change all four shocks, they are designed to work together.

To me it sounds like you just want aggressive looking tires and a leveled truck, doesn't sound like it has anything to do with hypothetical rear end movements on a truck you don't have yet...

Tyler

I plan to test drive again and I won't change shocks after I receive the truck unless I am really concerned.

I am not looking just to spend money.

As far as the BF Goodrich A/T KO tire - I have run 2 sets and have been pleased.

I prefer the E rated tires because I spend about 40 days/year in South Texas where thorns and flats are common.

I do like an aggressive looking tire.