2019 Silverado brake percentage

Hey guys, anyone else experiencing a slight resistance in their drive. It feels like i was towing something. Almost like the calipers were stuck or squeezing most of the time. So I'm playing around with the buttons and I check my brake life status and at only 3200 miles my brake life is reading at 66%. I took it in to the dealer with this concern and it even dropped to 65% as I drove in the service bay. They tested it and said they didn't feel any abnormality and that maybe the sensors were giving a false reading. Oh and I also brought up that horrible hard shifting everyone else is experiencing (5.3 8spd). And an engine knocking when idling on a cold start. Anyway going back to the brakes, they reset the percentage to 100% said my pads were fine. Ok. Now 1200 miles later I'm down to 69% and that's AFTER they reset it to 100% at the 3200. If they hadn't reset it I'm assuming I'd be at a what? 34% reading? 

IMG-20190417-WA0011 (1).jpg

20190511_211149 (1).jpg

Well, first thing I would do is pop a front and rear wheel off, and measure how thick the pads look, then find a dealer with replacement brake pads for your truck and measure how thick new ones are and compare thicknesses between the front, rear and new ones.  Then you can determine if the brakes are wearing incredibly fast, or the sensors/truck's guestimate of brake usage is just out to lunch.

If they are wearing really fast (and even 30% over 5K miles is crazy fast), then IMHO, either you drive around resting your foot on the brake pedal or somethings up with the brake system.

12 hours ago, coyt80 said:

Hey guys, anyone else experiencing a slight resistance in their drive. It feels like i was towing something. Almost like the calipers were stuck or squeezing most of the time. So I'm playing around with the buttons and I check my brake life status and at only 3200 miles my brake life is reading at 66%. I took it in to the dealer with this concern and it even dropped to 65% as I drove in the service bay. They tested it and said they didn't feel any abnormality and that maybe the sensors were giving a false reading. Oh and I also brought up that horrible hard shifting everyone else is experiencing (5.3 8spd). And an engine knocking when idling on a cold start. Anyway going back to the brakes, they reset the percentage to 100% said my pads were fine. Ok. Now 1200 miles later I'm down to 69% and that's AFTER they reset it to 100% at the 3200. If they hadn't reset it I'm assuming I'd be at a what? 34% reading? 

IMG-20190417-WA0011 (1).jpg

20190511_211149 (1).jpg

I'm at 90% brake life only 800 miles!? Not sure how this technology works but seems like excessive wear already...

• 2 weeks later...

if that monitor is right my brakes will be gone at 9k, why even put crap like this when its not correct.... i hope not anyway. My 2000 z71 went 100k before needing a brake job

This is a money maker light for GM dealers. Here is whats going to happen, When it gets down to around 20% its going to start flashing on the dash that immediate attention is required. Then OnStar will be emailing you saying there is a possible dangerous condition with the pads and insisting for you to to make an appointment at your dealer for replacements.. Same with the oil and stupid air filter. These are money making panic buttons installed by GM to drum up more business. What happened to chirping brake wear indicators??   

6 hours ago, ILSilverado said:

This is a money maker light for GM dealers. Here is whats going to happen, When it gets down to around 20% its going to start flashing on the dash that immediate attention is required. Then OnStar will be emailing you saying there is a possible dangerous condition with the pads and insisting for you to to make an appointment at your dealer for replacements.. Same with the oil and stupid air filter. These are money making panic buttons installed by GM to drum up more business. What happened to chirping brake wear indicators??   

One, it's more difficult to hear them now, as manufacturers work to reduce road noise from the cab

Two, even if they could/do hear it, lots of people just have no clue what that sound means, or think to even examine their vehicle if they do hear a new noise from it somewhere.

But it certainly sounds like this new setup hasn't been tested/calibrated very well...

Personally, I wouldn't need it, as I do my own oil changes/tire rotations and I check the brake pads when I do it.  And driiing around I listen for noises and feel for new vibrations in my truck, which signal something is up.  Even driving beside a concrete barrier and you hear a "tick tick tick" = you've got a nail/screw/object in one of your tires...

Ok just checked mine today;

Odometer: 3698 miles

Front brakes: 92%

Rear brakes: 96%

i might as well add air filter: 90%

Doing the math I should get roughly 46,000 miles for the front brakes, the rear 92,500 miles.

Both seem pretty low for normal wear and tear. 

On 5/28/2019 at 6:56 PM, BlancoSilverado said:

Ok just checked mine today;

Odometer: 3698 miles

Front brakes: 92%

Rear brakes: 96%

i might as well add air filter: 90%

Doing the math I should get roughly 46,000 miles for the front brakes, the rear 92,500 miles.

Both seem pretty low for normal wear and tear. 

Just drove from the Bay Area, CA to Seattle, WA and back.

5469 miles now and still have 92% for front and 96% for rear.

New life estimates is;

68400 miles for front

136725 miles for rear

These number make more sense now. 

Brake Percentage of BlancoSilverado

17 minutes ago, BlancoSilverado said:

Just drove from the Bay Area, CA to Seattle, WA and back.

5469 miles now and still have 92% for front and 96% for rear.

New life estimates is;

68400 miles for front

136725 miles for rear

These number make more sense now. 

Brake Percentage of BlancoSilverado

Did you have a system update done, or something?  At the present rate, mine will show to be all used up by 9,000 miles.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lebag335 said:

Did you have a system update done, or something?  At the present rate, mine will show to be all used up by 9,000 miles.  

To my knowledge i have not updated any software for 3 months. If it has updated, do you know if it would even tell me?