Rear end jumping sideways over bumps

I just put my summer rims and tires back on and now when driving on the highway the truck is jumping out to the side when hitting a bump.

I didn’t have this problem all winter.

Could the tires be causing this?

Nitro ridge grappler 295/55 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the warmer weather has made the oil in the shocks thinner, and is now telling you that one or both shocks are shot

Could shocks in 2017 z71 Silverado with 23000 miles be bad already?

47 psi
This is what nitto recommended
I had these rims and tires on for the last 2 summers with no problems with that tire pressure

What’s the max psi on your tire?  If you’re running 47 on a tire with a max of 65 then I’d bring that down some. If the max is 80psi then 47 is probably alright. 

The ass end of trucks skipping around is pretty normal as there isn’t a lot of weight back there

• Like 1

That's REALLY high. Is be shocked if the center of the tires aren't wearing out faster than the outer edges. I mean if you were hailing things then ok but empty they should probably be around 35. I had 285/45/22 Nitto's and I kept them as close to 35psi as I could and they wore flat all the way across.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, REDOO2000 said:

I just put my summer rims and tires back on and now when driving on the highway the truck is jumping out to the side when hitting a bump.

I didn’t have this problem all winter.

Could the tires be causing this?

Nitro ridge grappler 295/55 20

Look into some traction bars for the rear, that would help

13 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

What’s the max psi on your tire?  If you’re running 47 on a tire with a max of 65 then I’d bring that down some. If the max is 80psi then 47 is probably alright. 

The ass end of trucks skipping around is pretty normal as there isn’t a lot of weight back there

this is correct. the max psi is what you would want for carrying the max allowable load.

An empty truck bed is less than half of your max load, so you should not be even close to what the tires say is the max tire pressure allowed.

If you are driving the same roads you did all winter and the only thing different is your tires.....

some say the ranchos are shot. But if you do the "jump on the bumper" test, does your rear end bounce more than 1 cycle when you jump off?

I have to check max psi. But I drove the last 2 summers with that psi and had no problems. Nitto also told me in a email to use that pressure
Truck bed is usually
always empty

• Like 1

How are the tires wearing? Same tread depth all the way across? That's really what will determine if you're using the right air pressure. If the center are wearing faster you have too much air pressure. If the outside edges are wearing faster than the center then you don't have enough air pressure...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There’s about 10k mikes on them and there wearing evenly all around
I’m going to try and lower air pressure before I drive home

i know all tires (even within the same brand AND line) have their own sweet spot...I have KO2s and run then at 43-45 PSI...even wear all around, and over 50k miles on them...47 would be a little harsh for my set up, but when i see that number, it doesn't jump out at me like some sort of crazy high PSI.

but a different question that the rest of the folks have asked...you said even wear, that's great...do the tires still have really good tread life left?  if they are worn tires, that could also be a contributing factor...

• Like 1