Rear end jumping sideways over bumps

If you regularly hit bumps that cause your truck to jump then you probably should have your alignment checked on a regular basis.  I agree with others that your tire pressure is too high and will lead to uneven wear and a less comfortable ride.  Your shocks could be worn or faulty and ask to have them inspected while getting an alignment.

1 hour ago, REDOO2000 said:

80 psi is max

depending which load rating you have, I think your 2 rear tires can hold between 6100-7000 lbs total. That is more than your entire truck weighs and 1000-2000 lbs more than my OEM rear tires can carry. So bottom line is this, you have bigger heavier, stiffer tires, with no load on top. Of course you are going to bounce around on large bumps. 

What is your load rating on the winter tires? are you running the stock ones? I can bet that is why you notice such a difference with the summer tires.

23 minutes ago, REDOO2000 said:

There hankook dynapro atm 113 load rating
265/70 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would give you a capacity of 5070 lbs on the rear wheels. Significantly different than your summer tires. I think you are just feeling the difference between two very different tires.

• Like 1

If you run your OEM tires in winter, they are P rated. A car tire. When you bought your Hankook's, the tire shop would not dare sell you a P rated tire for a truck unless you specifically requested it. They would have sold you an LT tire, which is a much stiffer tire. Rancho's on the Z71's ride a lot stiffer than the regular suspension, but I preffer the ride. The truck handles well, like a sports car in comparison to a floaty, soft, body-roll filled standard Z83/85 suspension. Being that you have 17" rims I cant see them selling you an E-load tire. 

The Culprit is your Failing factory Rancho shocks that come on Z71 package trucks.

They become Pogo Sticks after a certain period of time or mileage.

Replace with a good aftermarket brand, ie Bilstein, Eibach, Pro Comp SS etc and enjoy the ride! :thumbs:

45 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

The Culprit is your Failing factory Rancho shocks that come on Z71 package trucks.

I was waiting for Dan to show up!

So, why did he not notice the shock problem with the winter tires on then?

12 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I was waiting for Dan to show up!

So, why did he not notice the shock problem with the winter tires on then?

You know me all to well Andy! :thumbs:

Because the internals can give way at Any time rendering them worn, blown, useless or whatever term is appropriate.

Here is a picture of the Rancho shock at only 5300 miles.

If it looks like this on the outside what is happening on the inside?

e6ee8e5f0431307827cdf69476fdb7ba.jpg

And a short video of what happens to them when they fail.

Nothing more than a pogo stick which is exactly what mine turned into.

8 hours ago, REDOO2000 said:

Could shocks in 2017 z71 Silverado with 23000 miles be bad already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that's about when the first black OEM shock on my 2014 puked oil.  The second one went at 32,000 miles.