Rear end jumping sideways over bumps

I want to eventually buy billsteins when I do a 4” lift. I’m still under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Changing your shocks won’t affect your warranty. Bilsteins are entry level performance shocks which many love, I personally prefer smoother custom ride shocks like King, CST.

Here’s my setup now with a lift and doesn’t affect warranty,

fb2ec9ef92e8c8b7402c0c478bc6734c.jpg
2c21456f5ab403eecaaf504ce7fe728b.jpg
800736751a30c739c0f664e7d46857a1.jpg
only parts you’ve added aren’t covered but shocks alone will never void anything especially Bilsteins, they used to be standard shocks on our trucks some years back. 5100’s for leveling and 4600’s for stock height.

Sent from above

Changing your shocks won’t affect your warranty. Bilsteins are entry level performance shocks which many love, I personally prefer smoother custom ride shocks like King, CST.

Here’s my setup now with a lift and doesn’t affect warranty,

fb2ec9ef92e8c8b7402c0c478bc6734c.jpg
2c21456f5ab403eecaaf504ce7fe728b.jpg
800736751a30c739c0f664e7d46857a1.jpg
only parts you’ve added aren’t covered but shocks alone will never void anything especially Bilsteins, they used to be standard shocks on our trucks some years back. 5100’s for leveling and 4600’s for stock height.

Sent from above

I meant I can get new shocks under warranty until I decide to do my lift
Thanks for info
Nice truck

I meant I can get new shocks under warranty until I decide to do my lift
Thanks for info
Nice truck

Thanks but don’t think they’ll be giving you new shocks, they’re just shitty oem shocks. If they don’t swap out the shocks I’d hold off till you do a lift then install high end aftermarket shocks that’ll give you an excellent ride. Good luck

Sent from above

50 minutes ago, REDOO2000 said:

This summer setup has been used for 2years and never had this problem

Mine did the bunny hop once upon a time. On one section of road. Over one set of bumps that were spaced about the same length as the wheelbase. One time. It not happening for two years just says opportunity was lacking. Try that same section of road at the same speed with 35 psi in the tires. Then draw a conclusion about pressures effect on suspension. 

Having two k2 trucks, your factory shocks are garbage when brand new. 

Whoever fixed my quote in their post can go F themselves. 

Your psi creates a firmer ride, making your suspension work harder, and taxing out your shitty shocks that are older than last year. 

Change your shocks. Done. Best 400 I’ve ever spent on both my 2014 and 2017. 

• Like 1

I lowered pressure to 45 front and 40 rear before I drove home last night
But there’s not as many bumps as driving to work
I’ll know more on Thursday when I drive in

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DeePa said:

Having two k2 trucks, your factory shocks are garbage when brand new. 

Whoever fixed my quote in their post can go F themselves. 

Your psi creates a firmer ride, making your suspension work harder, and taxing out your shitty shocks that are older than last year. 

Change your shocks. Done. Best 400 I’ve ever spent on both my 2014 and 2017. 

Amen DeePa

Lower tire pressure will NO DOUBT give you a little better ride quality no matter what size, brand, load range or ply rating your tires are.

At the expense of some mpg loss of course.

29 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Lower tire pressure will NO DOUBT give you a little better ride quality no matter what size, brand, load range or ply rating your tires are.

At the expense of some mpg loss of course.

Dan, this is 100% true. Softer tires can absorb bumps without engaging the trucks suspension.

I think a lot of people forget about the role of springs in suspension. Our trucks are designed to safely carry nearly 2000 lbs extra weight in the bed. Those springs handle much differently when loaded to the max vs. completely unloaded. It is the springs that "carry" the weight, not the shocks. All the shock does is slow down the spring when it moves. By lowering the air pressure in the tires, you allow the rubber to absorb bumps without moving the entire axle or truck bed up and down.

my hypothesis is as follows: Stiff tires + stiff springs, with no load on top = hitting bumps makes the whole back end of truck jump around when you hit a large bump. If you soften the tires or add weight in the bed, this bouncing would be reduced.

You propose the the jumping is caused by bad shocks. I would argue that bad shocks (aka leaking, not effective at slowing down the spring rebound) would yield a truck that, instead of bouncing and jumping sideways, only the wheel/tire/axle assembly would bounce under the truck, while your frame/bed remains "relatively" level. In the bad shock situation, your springs and rubber tires are just rebounding against each other. The action of the wheels & axle relative to the truck frame/bed is the difference. See this video to visualize what I'm describing. The frame remains still, while the wheel assembly is bouncing off the road. I don't think this is what our OP is experiencing. 

I look forward to hearing the OP's findings after he decreased air pressure.

I prefer a more decreased pressure.  

Problem is I lost at least maybe 1-2 mpg's but the slightly softer feel was a good tradeoff.

But the icing on the cake for me were the Bilstein 5100s.

Last spring when I had my new Bridgestone tires installed, the shop had them aired up to 42lbs upon delivery.

With the 5100s the truck still soaked up the major road imperfections, i.e. potholes , railroad tracks and no more skipping around in washboard sections.

Speed bumps became a thing of the past as well and No more bobblehead action just pulling out of my driveway.

To this day I like to stick with about 36-38 psi as it is about the best of both worlds. Better MPGs and a Better feel than 40-42 psi

Before the Bilsteins any pothole large or small dealt me a bone jarring seat of the pants feel with the Ranchos. More so in the rear of the truck.

Same 36-38psi

My guess is shocks if nothing else changed. I run 40 to 45 psi in tires that are max 80psi. Two reasons for it coinciding with change in tires: The winter tires were a lower pressure and affected the way the truck hit the bumps. Or the road thawed out and the bumps changed. 

I changed out my ranchos for bilsteins and never worried about the rear end jumping around again. 

Edited by 6_2LTZ

Fwiw, i worked at a tire shop for 5 years, then went on to work for a gm dealer for a few years as an auto tech. Your running too much pressure in those tires. Just run what factory recomends, i run 35 psi in my load e tires. And go to about 50 in rear when towing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Drove in this morning and truck felt a little better but there was more traffic than usual so I wasn’t going my usual speed. But I definitely feel the tires popping up and down when i hit the storm grates on the highway. I think these shit shocks definitely have something to do with it

I’ll lower the pressure some more and see what happens tomorrow